[ADDON] NotAndBuntu 11.04 Beta5 (Ubuntu Natty Narwhal)

Search This thread

GhostOfTheNet

Dec 29, 2008
Graz
Hi,

Here is the fourth version. Its not upgradeable, so delete the old /sdcard/ubuntu before, except you know what you are doing and are able to fix upcoming problems by upgrading.

[Hints]

• To remove the stupid overlay scrollbars, goto ubuntu shell and type
    Code:
    apt-get remove overlay-scrollbar liboverlay-scrollbar*
    in the next version setupgnome will automatically do that, all which setup gnome befor, do that to get the normal scrollbars.
  • in gnome goto system -> preferences -> appearance. there to the fonts tab, and there to details. use a resolution of 120 dpi, so you it is a bit more touch friendly
[Requirements]

[step by step]

1. Install the kernel (without you'll not have full functionality, but it'll work)
  2. Extract the ubuntu archive to /sdcard/ubuntu (in adb shell goto sdcard and type: "tar xzf ubuntu_b6.tar.gz")
  3. cd to this dir and type
    Code:
    su
  4. then
    Code:
    sh ubuntu install
  5. you will be asked a few questions, if you have no plan just press always enter. after reboot open a terminal and type
    Code:
    su
  6. then
    Code:
    ubuntu start
  7. optional if you want gnome via vnc
    Code:
    ubuntu setupvnc
    and
    Code:
    ubuntu setupgnome
    this still takes long, you are installing here almost the complete ubuntu via internet. that are a few hundred megabytes of downloading and over one gigabyte of extracting and installing. leave with exit and on android shell type (first time it asks for a passwod)
    Code:
    ubuntu startvnc
    then connect to it via: localhost:5901 using a vnc client and the password you set.

[what you got]

• you start the ubuntu subsystem with ubuntu start (still chroot)
  • with ubuntu setupvnc you install vnc service
  • with ubuntu setupssh you install ssh service
  • with ubuntu setupgnome you install gnome
  • with ubuntu setupkde you install kde (if you do so, you need to modify inside ubuntu /usr/bin/vnc)
  • with ubuntu shell you open an bash session
  • with ubuntu screen you open an persistent bash session
  • with ubuntu startvnc you start the vnc service
  • with startssh inside ubuntu shell you the start the ssh service
  • with ubuntu stopvnc you stop the vnc service
  • with stopssh inside ubuntu shell you the stop the ssh service
  • with ubuntu stop you stop (is rebooting)
  • with ubuntu uninstall you uninstall the script from system(directory /sdcard/ubuntu stays)

in ubuntu you can access:

• android's /dev bound to ubuntu's /dev (fdisk /dev/block/mmcblk0 is working fine(sdcard). don't touch /dev/block/mmcblk1 or you'll kill your android system, maybe your whole xoom :D)
  • android's /system bound to ubuntu's /android/system
  • android's /data bound to ubuntu's /android/data
  • android's /mnt/sdcard bound to ubuntu's /adnroid/sdcard

[working]

• With android-vnc Gnome (bluetooth keyboard and mouse)
  • Firefox 4
  • Chromium Browser
  • LibreOffice
  • Gnome Terminal
  • SSH Daemon
  • "D" key needs to remove the gnome keyboardshortcut uses "D" (just open vnc, goto a textfield and type d then you know what I mean :D)
  • and a lot more
[not working]

• Ubuntu Software Center (use Synaptic instead, find it in the system menu)

[the tecnical side]

• Ubuntu Natty Narwhal (11.04) from http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardUbuntu
  • dd for creating an image (no size limit anymore)
  • image formatted with ext2
  • adb push /sdcard/ubuntu/img/ubuntu.img (android shell has gunzip)
  • chroot env
  • tightvnc, gnome-session
  • different kernel features which i'll list here later

[changelog]

Beta 6
  • small changes in the scripts to ensure compatibility with other roms and devices
  • you can choose now between UBuntu 11.04, 11.10 and 12.04 Beta2

[next]

• providing preinstalled images for gnome, kde and xfce
  • app instead script

[ideas]

• weirdx
  • wayland

Have Fun
Ralph

Last edited:

idkwhothatis123

Oct 16, 2010
Hi folks,

Actually I'm poking around with the common "How to get ubuntu onto xoom", but with an own img file i created based on the maverick arm minimal archive. Now I'm installing unity, but in weekend I'll try to make the installation, configuration, ... more userfriendly. maybe I'll build a small app doing thinks like starting, stopping, starting a terminal with the chroot and so on. I've no plan at this moment what I'll do exact. But you can say me what you would like to have, so I know if there is a need for something. I think with the next ubuntu using something based on opengl as replacement for x and the promised touch support, it might be relly interesting to have in a chroot env and maybe write something like a wrapper for androids opengl es api. in this context maybe also a port of the android sdk to linux arm would be very interesting.

Regards
Ralph

I just posted in the general forum about this lol. I would love maverick meerkat on the xoom. I'm sure the software center wouldnt work, but if you could somehow incorporate compiz fuzion, along with all of the standard apps, that would be the sh*t. Good luck man!

Reactions: ilnanny

GhostOfTheNet

Dec 29, 2008
Graz
i have it already running, but I'm not getting the f*** unity running, because it needs opengl... a bit bad with tightvncserver

so i decided to jump over and try directly this out:
http://rcn-ee.net/deb/rootfs/natty/ubuntu-natty-alpha3-r0-minimal-armel.tar.xz
the omap4 is an arm cortex a9 processor, so it should be binary compatible.

wish me luck, if it will work you will have today a howto, otherwise i'll go back to 10.10 and search for another useful desktop.

edit: apt is working fine with maverick

regards

Last edited:
Reactions: cmsman13

GhostOfTheNet

Dec 29, 2008
Graz
Ok, so far so good. Ubuntu 11.04 is basically running, all is working fine, but the repository is buggy, so apt is not letting me install unity.
Besause today i'll not google for a missing lib, let see further tomorow. Hopefully the repositories are fixed then.

I'm uploading now a file called ubuntu.zip

To install it do the steps i'll write now in the first post. (the setup is not tested, so you may still need your knowledge)

Regards

Sent from my Xoom using XDA App

Reactions: cmsman13

troyready

Jun 12, 2009
Hey Ghost -- thanks for your great work on this!

One thing I was wondering -- would it be possible to break out your instructions on how to do this from scratch? I'm interesting in putting together my own version (probably a minmal Ubuntu 10.04 install), and would really appreciate the source "steps".

From what I've read, it looks like it's a matter of grabbing the right kernel (I thought I saw a recent one on the tegra development site), bootstrapping the right debian-based arm-compatible distro, and copying that over to the device with the right script to get it setup. I'd just love it if I could piggyback on your fine work :)

idkwhothatis123

Oct 16, 2010
It's alpha, so nothing for you if you have no plan whats going on here.

Archive: http://www.bisme.net/ubuntu.zip

Needed:
Rooted xoom with busybox installed

Steps:
1.) Extract the zip to /sdcard/ubuntu
2.) Open a terminal su, cd to this dir and type
./setupubuntu (sh*** i forgot to change the file, all cp commands are not working for some reason, needs to be
cat filename > /system/bin/filename
3.) ... ehm fin

(always su before)

If you replaced the cp, you can directly type for example bootubuntu, if not you need to be in dir /sdcard/ubuntu and say ./bootubuntu
After ubuntu booted(real only mounted) you can start a bash shell with shellubuntu. Unmount it with shutubuntu(in most cases will fail, then you need to reboot before you can say bootubuntu again)

Ehm, yes... i love my xoom :-D most of the time i worked on that... my pc i almost didn't need. Small tipp, it is worth its 4 dollar, better android terminal. Without bash this would be the hell.

Regards
Ralph

Man you are the best. I really really want to get this up and running but i cant get through setup. idk how to install... this is not my area of expertise lol. help?!:)

edit: i guess for clarification, after i type in the cat command it tells me write: no space left on device

Last edited:

GhostOfTheNet

Dec 29, 2008
Graz
Ok, first of all, this is not a rom. Thats not needed in this case, because with linux more installations can share the same kernel. Android has a linux kernel, ubuntu has one. Google for chroot

This is not an attemp to replace android, just to enhance it a bit

In this state it's just something like a technical preview. Give me a few days. For now only advanced linux users wich understands whats happening there can do something with it.
Concerning a minimal ubuntu, this is now a minimal installation.

Regards

Last edited:

GhostOfTheNet

Dec 29, 2008
Graz
After unity 2d is not really working at this moment, I'm actually preparing a version with icewm and lxde. Post will come in a few hours.

Regards

GhostOfTheNet

Dec 29, 2008
Graz
i'm installing it. lets see.
the reason why it's still not posted, i have a problem with the xstartup file of tightvnc. for some reason it is not running the commands for the ui, so there is just an empty xserver in vnc until i start icewm lxde manually. i think it would be the same with efl, and i had until today to less time to check out whats wrong.

edit: netbook-launcher-efl + metacity + maximus is looking fine

Last edited:

tom_m

Jun 7, 2007
Palo Alto
or possibly something like freenx client on android maybe??? in hopes that it's faster than vnc. if we can't boot into ubuntu.
edit - scratch that, i read you need X to use freenx... kinda defeats the point there.

i thought there was something else though that fowards all the window data over like lightning fast.

Last edited:

GhostOfTheNet

Dec 29, 2008
Graz
I found until now two possibilities but both needs much work. First taking the wayland xserver client and port it to android, or port weirdx to android.

GhostOfTheNet

Dec 29, 2008
Graz
Me personally, I'm not interested in another Linux Distri as main System
1. I would miss the android functionallity and feel, because of that I would never boot Ubuntu.
2. Only android has the needed touch support for a tablet. Maybe this changes i future ubuntu releases.

Because of that my primary target is a more seamless integration of a ubuntu subsystem in android, so we can use many beloved functions without much work. So there is the best of both worlds in the same time avaliable.

tom_m

Jun 7, 2007
Palo Alto
Makes sense. My motivation for research and all this is that I want to do (light) web development and server administration on the tablet as well. Of course, buying that bluetooth keyboard makes it all feasible and I'm not looking to do heavy amounts of work on it, but I want to ditch my netbook. For starters, the tablet lasts longer in terms of battery life and the form factor is better.

Other than that, to me, tablets serve merely as an entertainment purpose (unless maybe you're using it to bill people or for a sales pitch/meeting) and I can't justify the cost. A $600 travel Scrabble is retarded. So I think tablets need something like Ubuntu running on them in order for them to be a more productive device that is a justifiable expense.

Right now the biggest thing that I'm thinking about is gedit and git. If I can get those two... Then I think I'd be pretty much set. I think there's actually two or three text editors for Android as is and I might be able to use those provided I could get git for Android.

The graphical user interface isn't the most important thing so I can even live w/o the VNC. Having a local webserver would be rad, but not a high priority since I can use git to update a server on the net.

If you have any ideas, and I know it's getting somewhat off topic, but your research is really the crux of my situation...I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

--edit ok, so i found www.cloud9ide.com which will cover me I guess. but still I want more power under the hood. I really appreciate your work efforts! Thanks.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

Here is the fourth version. Its not upgradeable, so delete the old /sdcard/ubuntu before, except you know what you are doing and are able to fix upcoming problems by upgrading.

[Hints]

• To remove the stupid overlay scrollbars, goto ubuntu shell and type
      Code:
      apt-get remove overlay-scrollbar liboverlay-scrollbar*
      in the next version setupgnome will automatically do that, all which setup gnome befor, do that to get the normal scrollbars.
    • in gnome goto system -> preferences -> appearance. there to the fonts tab, and there to details. use a resolution of 120 dpi, so you it is a bit more touch friendly
    [Requirements]

[step by step]

1. Install the kernel (without you'll not have full functionality, but it'll work)
    2. Extract the ubuntu archive to /sdcard/ubuntu (in adb shell goto sdcard and type: "tar xzf ubuntu_b6.tar.gz")
    3. cd to this dir and type
      Code:
      su
    4. then
      Code:
      sh ubuntu install
    5. you will be asked a few questions, if you have no plan just press always enter. after reboot open a terminal and type
      Code:
      su
    6. then
      Code:
      ubuntu start
    7. optional if you want gnome via vnc
      Code:
      ubuntu setupvnc
      and
      Code:
      ubuntu setupgnome
      this still takes long, you are installing here almost the complete ubuntu via internet. that are a few hundred megabytes of downloading and over one gigabyte of extracting and installing. leave with exit and on android shell type (first time it asks for a passwod)
      Code:
      ubuntu startvnc
      then connect to it via: localhost:5901 using a vnc client and the password you set.

[what you got]

• you start the ubuntu subsystem with ubuntu start (still chroot)
    • with ubuntu setupvnc you install vnc service
    • with ubuntu setupssh you install ssh service
    • with ubuntu setupgnome you install gnome
    • with ubuntu setupkde you install kde (if you do so, you need to modify inside ubuntu /usr/bin/vnc)
    • with ubuntu shell you open an bash session
    • with ubuntu screen you open an persistent bash session
    • with ubuntu startvnc you start the vnc service
    • with startssh inside ubuntu shell you the start the ssh service
    • with ubuntu stopvnc you stop the vnc service
    • with stopssh inside ubuntu shell you the stop the ssh service
    • with ubuntu stop you stop (is rebooting)
    • with ubuntu uninstall you uninstall the script from system(directory /sdcard/ubuntu stays)

in ubuntu you can access:

• android's /dev bound to ubuntu's /dev (fdisk /dev/block/mmcblk0 is working fine(sdcard). don't touch /dev/block/mmcblk1 or you'll kill your android system, maybe your whole xoom :D)
    • android's /system bound to ubuntu's /android/system
    • android's /data bound to ubuntu's /android/data
    • android's /mnt/sdcard bound to ubuntu's /adnroid/sdcard

[working]

• With android-vnc Gnome (bluetooth keyboard and mouse)
    • Firefox 4
    • Chromium Browser
    • LibreOffice
    • Gnome Terminal
    • SSH Daemon
    • "D" key needs to remove the gnome keyboardshortcut uses "D" (just open vnc, goto a textfield and type d then you know what I mean :D)
    • and a lot more
    [not working]

• Ubuntu Software Center (use Synaptic instead, find it in the system menu)

[the tecnical side]

• Ubuntu Natty Narwhal (11.04) from http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardUbuntu
    • dd for creating an image (no size limit anymore)
    • image formatted with ext2
    • adb push /sdcard/ubuntu/img/ubuntu.img (android shell has gunzip)
    • chroot env
    • tightvnc, gnome-session
    • different kernel features which i'll list here later

[changelog]

Beta 6
    • small changes in the scripts to ensure compatibility with other roms and devices
    • you can choose now between UBuntu 11.04, 11.10 and 12.04 Beta2

[next]

• providing preinstalled images for gnome, kde and xfce
    • app instead script

[ideas]

• weirdx
    • wayland

Have Fun
    Ralph
    but it will take a while until I've time for. First I need to finish a two other projects. I think in about two month there will come the ubuntu app into the market. I'll post here when it is so far.

Regards
    Ralph
    is this dual boot? because im considering getting a xoom and im wondeing if it cna do dual boot into ubuntu and HC

this is not a dual boot environment. this is chroot. think of it as running a second operating system at the same time as android. you can open the android vnc app and it brings up ubuntu. hit home and your back on the android home screen.

the only thing that I would mention for users is that if you do not have a bluetooth keyboard find GOK (gnome onscreen keyboard) or download florence. having the android on screen keyboard overlay vnc is really annoying.

---------- Post added at 09:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 AM ----------

Thank you! Booting again. Now I can work on getting Linux running!

your welcome! Tiamat added the information from this thread to the kernel natively quite some time ago.
    Hi folks,

Actually I'm poking around with the common "How to get ubuntu onto xoom", but with an own img file i created based on the maverick arm minimal archive. Now I'm installing unity, but in weekend I'll try to make the installation, configuration, ... more userfriendly. maybe I'll build a small app doing thinks like starting, stopping, starting a terminal with the chroot and so on. I've no plan at this moment what I'll do exact. But you can say me what you would like to have, so I know if there is a need for something. I think with the next ubuntu using something based on opengl as replacement for x and the promised touch support, it might be relly interesting to have in a chroot env and maybe write something like a wrapper for androids opengl es api. in this context maybe also a port of the android sdk to linux arm would be very interesting.

Regards
    Ralph

I just posted in the general forum about this lol. I would love maverick meerkat on the xoom. I'm sure the software center wouldnt work, but if you could somehow incorporate compiz fuzion, along with all of the standard apps, that would be the sh*t. Good luck man!
    i have it already running, but I'm not getting the f*** unity running, because it needs opengl... a bit bad with tightvncserver

so i decided to jump over and try directly this out:
    http://rcn-ee.net/deb/rootfs/natty/ubuntu-natty-alpha3-r0-minimal-armel.tar.xz
    the omap4 is an arm cortex a9 processor, so it should be binary compatible.

wish me luck, if it will work you will have today a howto, otherwise i'll go back to 10.10 and search for another useful desktop.

edit: apt is working fine with maverick

regards