[MOD] Enabling tethering without paying for apps
Blatantly ripped off from richhed's thread
. I'm a cheap b@$#^&* so I wanted to enable wifi hotspot without paying for apps. Here's how.
I'm writing these instructions for Win7 x64, and assuming that your USB drivers and busybox are working. YMMV. No, I won't help you fix your phone if you brick it, and won't be responsible if it doesn't work for you.
1. Download Superoneclick 1.6.5 for rooting your phone. Your phone needs to be rooted, if you haven't done this yet you need to do it now.
2. Download SQLite
database browser on your PC and unzip to some folder. Remember where this is.
3. Plug phone into PC and turn airplane mode on.
4. Open a command prompt as administrator (right-click, open as administrator)
5. Navigate in the command prompt to where your Superoneclick is unzipped (for me, it's in a folder on my desktop)
6. Run 'adb shell'
** note** all commands from step 7 to step 12 are in the ADB shell
7. su (if you rooted in step 1, you may have to allow access, watch your phone as it may ask)
8. mv /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/telephony.db /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/telephony.old
9. chmod 777 /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases
10. chmod 664 /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/telephony.old
13. in the same command window which your second 'exit' command dropped you to, type 'adb pull /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/telephony.old ./telephony.db'
14. Run SQLite database browser and open the telephony.db file that you downloaded to the Superoneclick folder in the last step.
15. Click 'browse data' and select table 'Carriers'
16. You should see a long list of APN settings for various carriers, the ones you are interested in are rows 4, 6, and 7. Highlight row 4, named 'AT&T US HSDPA'. Scroll ALL THE WAY TO THE RIGHT where the title of the last column says "preloaded." Double-click the field that says 'true', and in the resulting dialog box change the "true" to "false" and click "Apply Changes". Repeat this step for rows 6 and 7.
17. Edit the 'type' (3rd last) field of row 6. Right now the field says 'tether'. Double-click and change it so that it says 'default,agps,fota,supl,tether' and apply changes.
18. Change the 'apn' (6th) field in row 6 from 'broadband' to 'wap.cingular' and apply changes.
19. Click 'save' and exit the DB browser.
20. Back in the command window, type 'adb push ./telephony.db /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/telephony.new'
21. Run 'adb shell'
** note** all commands from step 22 to step 32 are in the ADB shell
23. cd /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases
24. su radio
25. cp telephony.new telephony.db
26. chmod 660 telephony.db
27. rm telephony.new
29. cd ..
30. chmod 771 databases
33. Disable airplane mode
34. Go to Settings>Wireless + Networks>Mobile Networks>Access Point Names. Select radio button for AT&T Tether.
35. Reboot phone.
36. Mobile Hotspot will still validate but will turn on when using this APN. You might have to switch APN's after a reboot, I've had to and at least one other user has had to.
If you ever want to revert, we saved the file as /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/telephony.old in step 10. Just 'su' and 'cp' that puppy overtop of the existing telephony.db, remembering of course to enable airplane mode.