Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,667 Members 50,116 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How Nook's video capability? 720 RMVB? MP4?

Tip us?

tomorrowneverdie
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default How Nook's video capability? 720 RMVB? MP4?

I am wondering how good the Nook's video capability. It seems there is no powerful display adaper driver for it?

How about 720p video support?

Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to tomorrowneverdie For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

barrist
Old
Thanks Meter 78
720p is probably out of the nook's hardware capabilities.

Also I believe CM7 and HC are currently without hardware acceleration. Best bet is probably Froyo, but haven't tried it.

tomorrowneverdie
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Moboplay works well for 720p rmvb. i just used real file tested

barrist
Old
Thanks Meter 78
what rom you on?

i only attempted streaming with gmote from my desktop over wifi, and regular xvid avi's were pretty choppy. (running cm7)

bobzdar
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomorrowneverdie View Post
I am wondering how good the Nook's video capability. It seems there is no powerful display adaper driver for it?

How about 720p video support?

Thanks
Your NOOkcolor supports the following video file formats: 3gp, 3g2, mp4, m4v; MPEG-4 Simple Profile up to 854x480; H.263 up to 352x288; H.264 Baseline profile up to 854x480

Your NOOKcolor will not support the following video file formats: Flash (Flv/swf); Mov/qt; AVI; MKV; Xvid/divx; WMV / VC-1; H.264 Main and High profile; and videos with a resolution higher than 854x480

So far for me, 854x480 h.264 has provided the best results, mpeg4 has more compression artifacts. There's a profile posted on here somewhere for handbrake to convert to the proper format. VLC convert and stream also transcodes to h.264 if you want to stream from a media server or PC without having to convert the files.

For it to work properly with hardware acceleration, I think only android 2.1 (stock/rooted) and 2.2 have full support.
Motorola Droid Razr
Nook Tablet (rooted)
The Following User Says Thank You to bobzdar For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mutant13
Old
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 899

DONATE TO ME
Rocklayer will play avi videos perfectly, there is however audio sync issues

Sent from my EvO using XDA App
~EVANS APPS

If you liked anything I did and want to donate click the link below, thank you...
DONATE

muzzy996
Old
Thanks Meter 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutant13 View Post
Rocklayer will play avi videos perfectly, there is however audio sync issues

Sent from my EvO using XDA App
Uh if there's audio sync issues . . . how exactly is it playing videos "perfectly" ???

As has been described already, MP4 videos encoded using H.264 baseline at a resolution at or below 854x480 work well in the stock player. Beyond that, 3rd party video players aren't performing well enough for me to accept as "perfect".

I've tried Rockplayer, Vital Player and VPlayer and none of them play raw AVI files (xvid) that I watch from EZTV to my satisfaction. The only thing that works for me is to re-encode them using Handbrake and the Handbrake preset that's available in this forum with a constant quality setting of 22.

scratchfury
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzy996 View Post
Uh if there's audio sync issues . . . how exactly is it playing videos "perfectly" ???

The video part of the video plays fine. The audio part of the video does not.

muzzy996
Old
Thanks Meter 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchfury View Post
The video part of the video plays fine. The audio part of the video does not.
Don't misunderstand me, I've done my own testing. The point I'm making is if people read such statements and then try to watch videos they'll be disappointed in the fact that there are indeed sync issues.

I'd never describe the playback of a video file with audio sync issues as "perfect". IMO the only way playback would qualify as perfect is if there are no dropped frames and no audio sync issues. That's not the case in any of the solutions i've read on these forums when it comes to AVI or MKV playback.

tomorrowneverdie
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
2.3.3 encore cm12

Moboplayer v7. Worked pretty good for me