Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,814,481 Members 54,287 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Airtel 3G APN Settings

Tip us?

El Che
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Default Airtel 3G APN Settings

I filled in the new settings in APN but im getting 2G instead of 3G ?

Anyone knows what i did wrong ? And the airtel "customer help" are not exactly helping me in any way.

Quote:
Name: Airtel
APN: airtelgprs.com
Proxy: 100.1.200.99
Port: 8080
Username: <not set>
Password: <not set>
Server: <not set>
MMSC: <not set>
MMS Proxy: <not set>
MMS Port: <not set>
MMS Protocol: <not set>
MCC: 404
MNC: 10
Authentication Type: <not set>
APN Type: <not set>

smokin901
Old
(Last edited by smokin901; 12th March 2011 at 05:11 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,388

DONATE TO ME
For Airtel mobile office your settings are ok just remove proxy and port. if you are trying to setup airtel live then apn should be airtelfun.com and proxy and port remains. most of the android phone will not display 3G instead it will show H for HSPDA. if 3G signal is weak it will switch back to edge and will show "E". try changing the mode to WCDMA only. then check.

samsamuel
Old
Thanks Meter 1,048
as an alternate give these a try for data.

1. Homepage any page you want to set.
2. User Name Blank
3. Password Blank
4. Proxy Enabled/yes.
5. Proxy and Server Adress 202.56.231.117
6. Proxy and Server Port 8080
7. Data bearer GPRS or Packet Data.
8. Access Point Name airtelgprs.com
9. Authentication Type Normal
10. Use preferred access point No
ViperOneM8 VIPER4Android

O2 UK automated free sim unlock form.

Want to say thanks? Do you buy stuff on eBay? Click HERE to donate to me FOR FREE
The Following User Says Thank You to samsamuel For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

aronin
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Even I am having the same problem. My settings are correct as stated above but I am getting only 2G. 3G hasnt come up even once and I have travelled over 20 Kms across the length of Bombay, so coverage cannot be an issue. Do I need to change anything else?

smokin901
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,388

DONATE TO ME
Open Dialer and type this *#*#4636#*#*

Select the drop-down that says "Phone Information". From there, scroll down to where it should say "WCDMA preferred", and change it to "WCDMA only". Use the back key to get out. now check if your phone is able to detect 3G network. once it connects to 3G and you see H.

Airtel has worst network in mumbai so for phone to stay connected on 3G network signal strenght should be above -125db or else phone will switch back to 2G network. may be because of low signal stength you are not able to get 3G

aznindguy4u
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin901 View Post

Select the drop-down that says "Phone Information". From there, scroll down to where it should say "WCDMA preferred", and change it to "WCDMA only". Use the back key to get out. now check if your phone is able to detect 3G network. once it connects to 3G and you see H.

Airtel has worst network in mumbai so for phone to stay connected on 3G network signal strenght should be above -125db or else phone will switch back to 2G network. may be because of low signal stength you are not able to get 3G
Hey Smokin,

I tried this method to force WCDMA mode on my Samsung Captivate, but had no luck getting the 3g symbol on my phone. Instead I still have the E symbol for edge.

I have been trying since Saturday to get Airtel to put their 3g service on my phone, but had no luck. I went to a Airtel shop yesterday here in Manipal to get 3g manually activated on my phone. That didn't do any good as well.

I believe like you said that the problem isn't the activation aspect of 3g, but rather the signal strength for 3g is too low to be picked up by android phones. When I went to the Airtel shop the other day I noticed that most of the people there with working 3g phones had either a blackberry or iphone device.

If this is actually the case, I have no choice but to switch to another cell phone service provider who provides 3g service with a "android-friendly" signal strength. Is there such a thing?

smokin901
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,388

DONATE TO ME
Can you try with any of 3g enabled handset to see if you get 3g network in Nokia phones like n95 it should Show 3.5g. Also was your phone able to see Airtel network in wcdma only mode.

Sent from my HTC HD2 on andriod using XDA App

aznindguy4u
Old
(Last edited by aznindguy4u; 29th March 2011 at 01:13 PM.)
Thanks Meter 5
Hey,

I don't have any other handset with 3g capability nor do my buddies here. When I put the phone in WCDMA mode, I didn't get a signal for the GSM Airtel Network.

Apparently other Galaxy S owners have been having problems with Airtel's 3g network (Read at the comment section below: mobilegyaan.com/airtel-3g-karnataka-price).

Maybe Airtel will resolve this soon?

Edit: 3g is working now on my handset with Airtel network in Manipal.

slalani
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin901 View Post

Airtel launched its 3g service in Hyderabad today. And I was facing similar problems as others here. Selecting "WCDMA Only" did the trick for me and now I have the 'H' symbol on my HTC Wildfire.

However, I checked the signal strength and it is displaying -81dBm 16 asu. Does this mean I won't be able to access 3g with "WCDMA preferred" selected as I often roam and would like to fall back on 2g in the absence of 3g signal.

Also, will the above mentioned signal strength affect the call quality in any way?

Thanks for your help..

smokin901
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,388

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by slalani View Post
Airtel launched its 3g service in Hyderabad today. And I was facing similar problems as others here. Selecting "WCDMA Only" did the trick for me and now I have the 'H' symbol on my HTC Wildfire.

However, I checked the signal strength and it is displaying -81dBm 16 asu. Does this mean I won't be able to access 3g with "WCDMA preferred" selected as I often roam and would like to fall back on 2g in the absence of 3g signal.

Also, will the above mentioned signal strength affect the call quality in any way?

Thanks for your help..
-81dBm is greater than -124dBm it is a good signal strength. problem with WCDMA only mode is if there is no 3G signal there will be no service. best would be to keep on on WCDMA prefered.

The Following User Says Thank You to smokin901 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]