Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,209 Members 48,062 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

3.0 Honeycomb Release, and a Lazy Saturday Morning

Tip us?

rosenbaa29
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Exclamation 3.0 Honeycomb Release, and a Lazy Saturday Morning

Good morning fellow Androidians! (i like the sound of that :P)

This has been a VERY exciting and adventurous morning for me! I have been researching the Android 3.0 Honeycomb SDK release built for the Motorola Xoom, and I have spend all this morning installing it to my Nook! To my surprise, it worked well, actually, AMAZINGLY well.

After the install, I had the Android Market, Google Maps, YouTube, and with logging in to my google account, I could download ANY android app that a normal Android device could.
And here is the best part.

I have ADOBE FLASH 10.2 working! Yes! Just downloaded the .APK in the browser, and voila, installed and working great!

Now some may ask, how did you install it? Rosenbaa29, HOW did you do it? Actually, it was fairily difficult, but if my father and I could do it, anyone can :P

These are the directions written by Will Shanklin, all credit goes to him.

***NOTE: HONEYCOMB CAN NOW BE INSTALLED TO YOUR NOOK'S INTERNAL MEMORY TOO. SEE THIS THREAD FOR INSTRUCTIONS. THIS THREAD IS FOR SD CARD INSTALLATION.

* UPDATE 2/8 MORE FIXES:

(quoted from dev's thread)

"v04 - 02/07/2011
increased touchscreen sensitivity and made touchscreen more usable close to the borders (kernel change)
fixed heap size issue to get much more programs running (e.g. nook app, kindle app, etc.)"

Those updating from the previous version, see updating section at bottom

Here's how to get Honeycomb running on your Nook Color right now.

Credit to dev deeper-blue (Rafael Brune) whose thread can be found here: Android 3.0 Honeycomb Image - xda-developers

1. Download the image:

nookhoney04.img.zip

Torrent: nookhoney04.img.zip (might be faster than either of the above options - of course you'll need a torrent client like bittorrent)

Unzip the image onto your computer using WinRAR on PC, or or Stuffit Expander (on Mac).

2. Get an SD card, at least 4GB.

Some had problems with 4GB cards, others said the image stalled burning, but then it worked anyway. Worth a try, but larger than 4GB, you should be fine.

3A. PC Users:

- The usual program for this, Win32DiskImager, isn't working with this large file. So download WinImage, and under 'Disk' choose "Restore Virtual Image to Physical Drive." Change the files shown at the bottom to "all files" and select the file.

On Mac:

3B. Mac Users:

- Open a terminal window

-Find which drive the sd card is mapped to: type in the terminal this:
diskutil list

- Be very careful to identify the SD card and not your hard disk. Be VERY careful.

- Now unmount that drive typing this:
diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk#
(My computer is was disk2 replace # with your number. Do NOT use the disk#s)

The computer should say: Unmount of all volumes on disk was successful

Type:

dd if=nookhoney04.img of=/dev/rdisk# bs=1m

Everything needed should copy right over to the card.

4. Power down your Nook, insert the microSD card, and it should boot into Honeycomb!!!!!!

Installing the Android Market on the Nook Color running Honeycomb:

1. Download this version of the Market (2.2.11).

2. Download GoogleServicesFramework.apk.

3. Place the files in your adb tools folder (or platform-tools on the newer version - wherever adb.exe is)

4. Open a command prompt in that folder, and issue the following commands:

adb shell mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk1p2 /system

adb push Vending.apk system/app/Vending.apk

adb push GoogleServicesFramework.apk system/app/GoogleServicesFramework.apk

adb shell

cd system/app

chmod 6755 Vending.apk

chmod 6755 GoogleServicesFramework.apk

exit

adb reboot

Then go to apps, open the market, sign in. If the Market won't open at first, reboot and try again.

**Overclock instructions greyed out until new kernels are confirmed working with the new update**
Overclocking Honeycomb to 1.1GHz (might work, might not, might work then stop working):

Credit goes to dalingrin, his thread: [FYI]http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=925451

1. Download uImage (extract the uImage file somewhere on your computer)

2. If you haven't yet booted Honeycomb, skip to 4. If you've already booted it, see 3.

3. With the Nook booted into Honeycomb, connect via adb, and issue the following:

adb shell

cd data/dalvik-cache

rm *

exit

. . . and then power off your Nook immediately, without opening any apps. It's probably best to power it off with a hard reset (hold power down 10-15 seconds).

4. Remove the SD card, and place it back in an SD reader.

5. Open the folder (it should say boot) and make a copy of that uImage file on your computer. If you discover later on that the overclocking kernel doesn't work, simply replace the new one with this original that you're backing up now.

6. Now replace it with the uImage folder you downloaded earlier. Reboot, and enjoy the overclock!

Updating

To preserve much of your data, first, you'll need to root. See our stickied root Honeycomb on the Nook thread. This has nothing to do with whether the Barnes & Noble ROM is rooted or not on your Nook.

Now, while still on version 2, do a complete backup with Titanium backup.

Then, open a command prompt in your adb folder and enter the following:

adb shell mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk1 /

adb pull sdcard/[path to your adb folder, such as c:/sdk/tools/]/honeysd

Then update to v2 by the procedure above. Then root again by the procedure in that thread.

Now open another command prompt in the same place:

adb shell mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk1 /

adb push [path to your adb folder]/honeysd/ sdcard/

Then restore apps in Titanium Backup (one at a time, starting with your most essential apps is recommended. This is still an early build and some apps can causes crashes).

You should have all your apps now!

Features currently not working:

- not much to mention - lets play with this new update and see . . .

***note that you may need to turn your screen off/on once after every reboot to avoid touchscreen lag (much like w/Nookie Froyo)"

Have a great week, and if you have ANY questions or comments, let us know on this forum!

Old
(Last edited by 10123; 12th March 2011 at 10:41 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Wow great effort! A few more links to where we can download these files would help.

Although... I don't have a nook Tablet so do you think this will work on other tablets too?

Specifically the elonex e-touch 10

http://direct.asda.com/Elonex-eTouch...efault,pd.html

The specs are;

1024X600 Pixel screen
Android 2.1 (Upgrade to 2.2 out)
1GHZ Processor
256MB Ram

The ram seems a little low but seen as its cough *cheap*.... I couldn't say no!

rosenbaa29
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10123 View Post
Wow great effort! A few more links to where we can download these files would help.

Although... I don't have a nook Tablet so do you think this will work on other tablets too?

The specs are;

1024X600 Pixel screen
1GHZ Processor
256MB Ram

You definitely have the specs to support honeycomb. Currently, the eTouch 10 runs android 2.1, but I will definitely figure out how to get a 3.0 release for it.

The Nook is a total iPad alternative, especially if we get an extremely stable android release for it, even if its only Gingerbread. How long have you had your tablet? What do you think about it?

rosenbaa29
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:

The specs are;

1024X600 Pixel screen
1GHZ Processor
256MB Ram

The real questions is, how do we get the Elonex Android 2.1 software on the Nook! 0_o lol

Old
(Last edited by 10123; 13th March 2011 at 08:43 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosenbaa29 View Post
You definitely have the specs to support honeycomb. Currently, the eTouch 10 runs android 2.1, but I will definitely figure out how to get a 3.0 release for it.

The Nook is a total iPad alternative, especially if we get an extremely stable android release for it, even if its only Gingerbread. How long have you had your tablet? What do you think about it?
I've ordered and paid for it, I just need to pick it up in the store. Its supposed to be delivered in 3-5 days. So Tuesday hopefully.

Theres actually a fair amount of folks that have bought it.

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/...generation-1/v

Unfortunately there is no app/rom development for it due to lack of support (Maybe as its just been released in the UK). I've been looking at support for similar spec tablets (Galaxy Tab ect) its just a question of whether it'll all work.

If we can get honeycomb working for it, it could be huge on XDA. A 129 tablet that has Honeycomb... yes please! And seen as your from the US it should come to Wal-Mart at some point (ASDA is owned by Wal-Mart).

Anyway, yeah any support would be greatly appreciated.

Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
The real questions is, how do we get the Elonex Android 2.1 software on the Nook! 0_o lol
LOL why would you want that? Doesn't the Nook come with 2.1 anyway.

Alanis0811
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
I've ordered and paid for it, I just need to pick it up in the store. Its supposed to be delivered in 3-5 days. So Tuesday hopefully.

Unfortunately there is no app/rom development for it due to lack of support (Maybe as its just been released in the UK). I've been looking at support for similar spec tables (Galaxy Tab ect) its just a question of whether it'll all work.

If we can get honeycomb working for it, it could be huge on XDA. A 129 tablet that has Honeycomb... yes please! And seen as your from the US it should come to Wal-Mart at some point (ASDA is owned by Wal-Mart).

ok.... question from a lurker here....first of all, as a newer owner of Android OS, (an unREVOKED, rooted Evo), I'm trying to help my dad with his new "gadget"... it's a 7" tablet, google iRobot that came from China and has andoid 3.0 Even when he attempts to download from the installed App Market (not a true version of Android Market it seems...) most apps tell him there is no phone associated with the account... AppBrain doesn't work either.... any method or resource that would be useful to him? Most of the icons on the device mimic Apple's, such as the Safari, Settings, etc...

He's 60... trying to download card games, etc lol... any and all help would be appreciated!

Jenn
Alanis0811@msn.com

rosenbaa29
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/...generation-1/v

Unfortunately there is no app/rom development for it due to lack of support (Maybe as its just been released in the UK). I've been looking at support for similar spec tables (Galaxy Tab ect) its just a question of whether it'll all work.

Well you know where to go! And let us know how it is when you get it, I might just have to grab one for dev purposes! We will be golden if we can get honeycomb on it.

rosenbaa29
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanis0811 View Post
ok.... question from a lurker here....first of all, as a newer owner of Android OS, (an unREVOKED, rooted Evo), I'm trying to help my dad with his new "gadget"... it's a 7" tablet, google iRobot that came from China and has andoid 3.0 Even when he attempts to download from the installed App Market (not a true version of Android Market it seems...) most apps tell him there is no phone associated with the account... AppBrain doesn't work either.... any method or resource that would be useful to him? Most of the icons on the device mimic Apple's, such as the Safari, Settings, etc...

He's 60... trying to download card games, etc lol... any and all help would be appreciated!

Jenn
Alanis0811@msn.com
The thing is, you need to log into market with your google information on an android phone to activate "android market" on your specified google account, then you can use that google email to access any android features that may later come. Does that make sense?

rosenbaa29
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
The thing is, you need to log into market with your google information on an android phone to activate "android market" on your specified google account, then you can use that google email to access any android features that may later come. Does that make sense?
The thing is for me, I already have my droid pro on verizon, so I can access the market on my nook as long as I use the same email that I used on my droid. So see if you can use a friends phone. You would need to back it up, then do a settings_>privacy->factory reset on it. Then when it starts back up, enter your gmail account information and download at least one app from the market. then he can do the factory reset on it and put on his old email and information again. Let me knwo if that is a possibility for you.

Tags
honeycomb nook