[Tutorial]: How to change the size of a .ttf font file

OP d_1000

12th March 2011, 09:17 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Chicago NW 'Burbs
Thanks Meter: 241

544 posts
Ever wanted to change the base size of the system font file? I spent quite a bit of time looking into this and I found and open source program called FontForge which will modify the .ttf font file. It will run on both Win and Mac.

Here are 300+ existing flashable Font-Packs 300+ existing flashable Font-Packs which you can use and even modify the size of the .ttf file within and re-insert using 7-zip.

Font Forge Instructions:

I spent hours, trying to figure this out, but it is really rather simple...now! FontForge is very powerful and I know how to modify the font size and that is it. I am by NO MEANS an expert!

Once the the selected .ttf file is open - FontForge ALWAYS fc's on my macbook the first time I open a file. Once I relaunch, it is fine...just the nature of the beast.

1. go to: Edit>Select>SelectAll (all characters should be selected)
2. go to: Element>Tansformations>Transform
3. On the transform menu, I have chosen to increase by 20%...make sure all boxes below are checked.

4. Click ok
5. It should now render them 20% larger (or whatever you choose)
6. go to: File>Generate Fonts
make sure you change filename to keep the original clean and de-select validate - otherwise you will get about 200 warnings

7. Click ok...there will be a couple of warnings that appear, but I have not found any visible font issues or errors-you can ignore them - hat is it. When you close Font Forge, it will ask you about saving changes...if you do, it creates another file type, but I have never paid attention to it.

Last edited by d_1000; 14th March 2011 at 06:12 PM. Reason: ummmm .ttf not .tty! Duh!
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to d_1000 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th March 2011, 03:07 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 164

3,201 posts
Donate to Me
Thank you for this, been wanting to do it for a while.

Edit: Well it took forever to get everything set up to run on windows, but I finally got the Ubuntu font to not be cut off when used as Clockopia.ttf in DeskClock.apk/assets/fonts/Clockopia.ttf. I wouldn't use it for anything else other that Clockopia.ttf because I had to move the numbers -220 on the y axis after resizing them to be 20 percent smaller than normal.

The file is not to be flashed in recovery and is only in the .zip file so that I could upload it to the post.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Clockopia.zip - [Click for QR Code] (67.9 KB, 290 views)
Last edited by david1171; 13th March 2011 at 09:44 PM.
16th April 2011, 03:52 AM   |  #3  
Flag CT
Thanks Meter: 94

1,058 posts
More
thank you for pointing me to this.. i started making my text changes as we speak.. u rawk.. thankkk you
8th September 2011, 03:51 AM   |  #4  
Flag Peoria
Thanks Meter: 1,791

2,391 posts
Donate to Me
More
Nice tutorial bro! I'm gonna give this a shot this weekend

Sent from my BluMagic CM7 Glacier using the Blu Premium App
1st October 2011, 06:01 PM   |  #5  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 3

335 posts
how can i export my phone's font from system/font to alter its size using fontforge? when i connect my phone to my pc, i'm only able to see files on my sd card, not the phone's entire system.
2nd October 2011, 12:39 AM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Chicago NW 'Burbs

544 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trapzz

how can i export my phone's font from system/font to alter its size using fontforge? when i connect my phone to my pc, i'm only able to see files on my sd card, not the phone's entire system.

Even with root, I do not believe this is possible. I think you can do a backup and then pull the file from the backup.
10th October 2011, 11:19 AM   |  #7  
The Internet
Thanks Meter: 222

380 posts
More
Hi i'm new to fontforge, and I need some help installing it. When I type ./doinstall into cygwin it says 'bash: ./doinstall No such file or directory" Apparently, there is no 'doinstall' folder. Help would be appreciated thanks.
10th October 2011, 08:52 PM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Chicago NW 'Burbs

544 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulder96

Hi i'm new to fontforge, and I need some help installing it. When I type ./doinstall into cygwin it says 'bash: ./doinstall No such file or directory" Apparently, there is no 'doinstall' folder. Help would be appreciated thanks.

Unfortunately I have only run it on my Mac.
28th June 2012, 02:36 PM   |  #9  
Austin, TX
Thanks Meter: 1

5 posts
More
Thanks!!! I've been looking for this.
Last edited by Moaath; 28th June 2012 at 02:51 PM.
17th August 2012, 09:10 AM   |  #10  
Flag Derbyshire
Thanks Meter: 6

73 posts
More
Program crashes on Windows 7 every time. show stopper...
Anyone else manage to use the windows version ?

Looking at the windows logs, it appears to be an issue with 64bit windows, I'll give it a shot on my netbook later.
Last edited by webwolf_3000; 17th August 2012 at 09:21 AM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread