5,606,151 Members 36,367 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[HOWTO] Change PRL on Virgin Mobile LG Optimus V (5/06/2011)

Tip us?

freddysam
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate6 View Post
This totally worked. I'm now running the 61677 hybrid PRL! Thank you ever so much to both freddysam, for figuring out most of the details of the process and for making the hybrid PRL, and to rjones1981, for figuring out the last critical bit that was fowling me up.

It's already very clear that I'm getting better signal within my apartment. I guess I'll see over the next few days how much better things are overall.

Oh, and freddy... I'm completely with you on blaming Windows for this. Windows, or possibly Canada.
Haha, I'm glad it worked out. I'm going to add this to the main post. I still have no idea what caused this, and why turning the phone off fixed it. Windows!!!!!

crc111
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Hello. I bought two Optimus V. Why do you have to change the PRL? Is it to gain more Sprint towers to connect from?

Thanks in advance.

crc111
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddysam View Post
I just did a clean install of the drivers on a new windows 7 x64 machine using the drivers I linked to. It worked flawlessly. I think the problem you people are having is caused by installing other drivers. You need to manually remove those drivers. I posted how to do that repeatedly. Device manager> Right click the incorrect driver> Uninstall> check the box to delete the driver. Unplug and replug your USB cable. If an incorrect driver installs, repeat the steps to remove it. You could have multiple copies of the same driver. Keep doing this until device manager comes back with "unknown device". Right click on it and select Update Driver Software> Browse my Computer> Let me pick from a list> All> (wait for the list to be populated)> LG Electronics Inc> LGE Android Platform USB Serial.

If you don't see LG Electronics Inc, then you haven't even installed the drivers pack yet. Install it and replug the USB.
I'm also using ADB and SuperOneClick. Does this driver work with ADB and SuperOneClick?

Thanks.

neutronscott
Old
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
Yes, why? As a PRL is a preferred roaming list, and roaming isn't possible, how does this fix anything?

Are there Sprint towers which aren't already allowing VM handsets, or aren't advertising 3G?

I mean I was gonna try it anyway, just wondering if there's a technical explanation underneath which I'm missing..

freddysam
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutronscott View Post
Yes, why? As a PRL is a preferred roaming list, and roaming isn't possible, how does this fix anything?

Are there Sprint towers which aren't already allowing VM handsets, or aren't advertising 3G?

I mean I was gonna try it anyway, just wondering if there's a technical explanation underneath which I'm missing..
The VM PRL has a very limited set of acquisition records it will try when not roaming. The Sprint PRL has drastically more. The term roaming list is a bit of a misnomer as the PRL is used to figure out which bands/frequencies to try to find a signal. Only a subset of those are labeled as roaming. The rest are operated by Sprint. Although we can't prove it, the Sprint PRL could give you more coverage.

zanpaktou
Old
Thanks Meter 0
currently running the 61677 hybrid PRL! fantastic 3G works well and no complaints so far

phreak311
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I figured out u had to turn off the phone with the usb still in, in about 3 minutes D: i aread ur problem and was about to post but freddy beat me to it D: good job though

tytyty1
Old
(Last edited by tytyty1; 26th March 2011 at 04:21 PM.) Reason: Im dumb
Thanks Meter 0
So I am using windows xp 32 bit and i was having the same problem with the device not showing in the ports... Tried everything... Then i turned off the phone and the ports showed up however i cant access it through qpst because while reading the phone about 80% through it stops and says "The Phone has stopped responding to memory read/write commands"

HELP! i got my MSL and everything but i just cant get it to read correctly in QPST

EDIT: I AM DUMB AND DIDNT READ THE DIRECTIONS

Step1Mark
Old
Thanks Meter 2

DONATE TO ME
Thumbs up Worked for me.

I just went through all the steps in what felt like less than 2 minutes. I live out in the middle of no where and no one really gets service here so I cant test the results yet. I will be sure to post a follow up about the process and results. If I get the time I will put together a video tutorial that the OP can add to his guide if he likes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Step1Mark For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

freddysam
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Step1Mark View Post
I just went through all the steps in what felt like less than 2 minutes. I live out in the middle of no where and no one really gets service here so I cant test the results yet. I will be sure to post a follow up about the process and results. If I get the time I will put together a video tutorial that the OP can add to his guide if he likes.
A video would be great, thanks!