Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,742 Members 37,691 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

All notification sounds randomly resetting?

Tip us?

darthmelk
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Question All notification sounds randomly resetting?

After the last official update something weird started happening to my phone. After random periods of time (1 - 5 days) all my ringtones and notifications sounds for all the applications seem to change by themselves.

Gmail will have no sound selected, Gtalk will pick one random MP3 file from my music folder, alarms will get the "Beep" sound, SMS/reminders will get a different (default?) sound, contacts that had custom ringtones will get the default ringtone, and the default ringtone for all contacts is changed too.

It's a little annoying, I can set everything back the way it was quite fast, but something else happens: for a few contacts only (random each time) I cannot change the ringtone anymore. The default one is set, I choose another one, but the new ringtone isn't applied. The only way to change the ringtone is to erase the contact and create it again (or sync from outlook to have it back).

Anyone else got this problem? I guess a hard reset will solve it, but I'm too lazy to install everything again etc.
HTC One
HP Slate8 Pro

darthmelk
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
I still have this problem. From time to time, all my notification shouds (alarm, message, ringtone, custom ringtones, everything) will change to random mp3s from my alarm/notification/ringtone or music folder.

It's not related to USB cable / SD mass storage mounting, I rarely use that. It usually happens in the background while I'm not even using the phone. Suddenly, it will e.g. start playing a whole mp3 track from may music folder when I receive an email.

Anyone else getting this stupid issue? I found a lot of people complaining in other threads and other forums, but no solution. I hate having to set my custom tones again and again...
HTC One
HP Slate8 Pro

Gibodean
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default HTC Desire HD too

My HTC Desire HD is also playing random mp3s with notifications. Not mail, that remains the same. But calendar and SMS all play mp3s. I can't seem to fix it. The notification settings still say it's meant to be playing a standard ringtone, but nope, mp3 it is.

Anyone figured out a fix?

darthmelk
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
I don't know if it helps, but I renamed my "Music" folder (that's where I had all .mp3 files that would randomly become ringtones) to something else and also removed the HTC Music widget from homescreen. Sometimes the ringtones will revert to HTC default and stay that way after I connect to USB mass storage / disconnect, but a phone reset will solve that.
HTC One
HP Slate8 Pro
Tags
desire z, notification, reset, sound