XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Mobile Hotspot, free 'til 5/15/11

Tip us?

chimpsnest
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Default Mobile Hotspot, free 'til 5/15/11

Just noticed this little ditty regarding mobile hotspot: "Verizon said it will allow customers to use the mobile hot spot feature for free until May 15; afterwards, customers will need to pay an additional $20 per month (2GB data cap)."

Read more: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_7...#ixzz1GfzSBWRL

Will that affect our wireless tether? They are implementing a data cap? I'm confused. (what else is new)
----

I'm a flash addict.....
-----
SEARCH BUTTON IS YOUR FRIEND!
The Sig, it's PINK, cuz I'm chic!
[/COLOR]

Russ36363
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Sounds like they need some stress testers on the network. What better than the consumers...

chimpsnest
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ36363 View Post
Sounds like they need some stress testers on the network. What better than the consumers...
What about wireless tether for root users? Wonder if that will be affected? I don't think I'm supposed to even have that on my Eris, but I do, but I also don't use it a ton either.

Hmmmm
----

I'm a flash addict.....
-----
SEARCH BUTTON IS YOUR FRIEND!
The Sig, it's PINK, cuz I'm chic!
[/COLOR]

Russ36363
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpsnest View Post
What about wireless tether for root users? Wonder if that will be affected? I don't think I'm supposed to even have that on my Eris, but I do, but I also don't use it a ton either.

Hmmmm
What's the difference between the two? I've always taken the two as the same, except that Mobile Hotspot is just the official, non-root version of the feature.
I'd be confused if it was anything else than 4G, but it seems like they want a lot of 4G usage to test stuff out. Or they'll probably not mention anything come May 15th and have thousands of users activate hotspot and get charged $20 for it.

Magicadder
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ36363 View Post
What's the difference between the two? I've always taken the two as the same, except that Mobile Hotspot is just the official, non-root version of the feature.
I'd be confused if it was anything else than 4G, but it seems like they want a lot of 4G usage to test stuff out. Or they'll probably not mention anything come May 15th and have thousands of users activate hotspot and get charged $20 for it.
The 3g wireless hotspot app from big red has DHCP functionality with an infrastructure wireless signal... so kinda like a wireless router.... vs. Wireless tether for root, which is an ad-hoc client. This only allows one device to connect.... thy is unless they have changed the app since I last used it 4 months ago.

Plus... imo... the 3g hotspot app is a little more stable.

So the big question for the hotspot users is ... the rumored unlimited LTE. will it be capped?.. will we grandfather into it when big red switches to tiered data?

Sent from my "I feel like force closing right now" DROIDX using XDA App

wes_s
Old
Thanks Meter 99
I bet we can enable free 3g mobile hotspot like on the incredible by editing settings in the dialers hidden menu (i cant remember what it was on the inc, hopefully it will be the same on the T-Bolt)

julesism
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicadder View Post
The 3g wireless hotspot app from big red has DHCP functionality with an infrastructure wireless signal... so kinda like a wireless router.... vs. Wireless tether for root, which is an ad-hoc client. This only allows one device to connect.... thy is unless they have changed the app since I last used it 4 months ago.
no offence but well over 4 months ago I used Wireless Tether for Root Users on my N1 and my dInc and was able to connect more than one device. You may have tried an old/outdated version. I agree that it does have stability issues from time to time but I feel it is a much better app than the stock big red hotspot app.

Magicadder
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by julesism View Post
no offence but well over 4 months ago I used Wireless Tether for Root Users on my N1 and my dInc and was able to connect more than one device. You may have tried an old/outdated version. I agree that it does have stability issues from time to time but I feel it is a much better app than the stock big red hotspot app.
Good call... your right... I did not have all the info on the wifi tether app.

It seems to me that the hotspot app also has way more overhead than the wifi tether app which automatically makes the wifi tether app a better call.... thx for the corrections

Just goes to show, you can't be right all the time.... lol

Sent from my "for no reason, im locking up on you" DROIDX using XDA App

andydumi
Old
Thanks Meter 14
I wonder how they will treat this change. Because including the feature then changing it to pay is a change of the contract terms that might let people out of contracts...

Either way a free tether solution should be possible.

bkiminfinity
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by andydumi View Post
I wonder how they will treat this change. Because including the feature then changing it to pay is a change of the contract terms that might let people out of contracts...

Either way a free tether solution should be possible.
my thinking about the contract change would be that there would be no specific feature on your plan allowing the mobile hotspot for the thunderbolt, it would simply be available with the phone to whoever gets it. therefore when 5/15 comes and payment for hotspot is required you would have to add the feature to your plan for continued use. i don't know all of the specific details but i know that for most contracts you can edit features without charge or breaking/editing the contract (e.g. adding insurance, increasing minute/text allotments, carrier-based gps services) and the only contract changes that are solid are minutes + data that is required. that is my $0.02 on that issue, not sure if there is solid documentation on verizon's policy.

i do agree that with moderate usage free tether is an easy solution to this.