Guide to replacing the LCD.

Search This thread

alperin1

Nov 30, 2010
OK folks,

I had to replace my LCD for the second time. So, I took some photos and wrote a little guide. Actually it is nine pages.

LINK to PDF.

If I need to change anything, let me know.

Alperin1

Last edited:
Reactions: william58

kable

Nov 17, 2007
Silicon Valley
Nice Job!

It's a T5.

I am still trying to figure out what type of glue or epoxy should be used to reseal the side tabs back on. Prying them off the first time weakens the original glue and for me one side in now pretty loose.

I didn't play around too much when I had mine open but am now wondering if that internal 2GB sdcard is replaceable.

This should be either Stickied or added to the Wiki.

alperin1

Nov 30, 2010
Yes. It is 3M tape. I got some with my LCD at no cost when I picked it up. Had to cut it to fit as it was for a different phone.

BTW , I will probably update the file for grammer and such stuff.

Sent from my Dell Streak using XDA App

Reactions: kable

alperin1

Nov 30, 2010
If anyone needs the full sized imges from the PDF let me know and I will post them somehow.

tjlusco

Jan 7, 2011
Excellent guide! Helped me replace my screen today, cheers!

DPMAce

Feb 12, 2011
Cleveland
I'm thinking about buying a streak later on. How concerned should I be about the screen cracking? I'm not clumzy, but let's be realistic, who doesn't drop their phone at least once in their lifetime.

gdc1114

Sep 14, 2010
FWIW, I think it is an issue, but not a deal-breaker. The gorilla glass is very scratch-resistant, but also very brittle. Given its size, it is LIKELY to crack if you drop it naked. Unfortunately, I'm not guessing about this. I wouldn't use mine now without Otterbox Defender or at least Commuter (I have both now.)

I will say this: I have used mine for 2 months now with glass cracked, and with no effect on lcd clarity or touchscreen issues. But getting repairs is tough; will likely try diy soon.

bricked_tab

Jan 9, 2011
Nice Job!

It's a T5.

I am still trying to figure out what type of glue or epoxy should be used to reseal the side tabs back on. Prying them off the first time weakens the original glue and for me one side in now pretty loose.

Hi there. I'm about to replace my lcd. What side tabs are you referring to?

TIA

alperin1

Nov 30, 2010
I think he is refering to the ends of the phone. The plastic peices where the buttons and ffc and speaker for the phone.

If you work slowly and with caution you can reuse the tape/glue that is currently holding the ends.

Last edited:
Reactions: bricked_tab

bricked_tab

Jan 9, 2011
Ahh thanks for that :)

Still waiting for the lcd replacement from big_is. The first one they sent had 2 of the 3 ribbons broken. It's been more than 3 weeks now since I ordered it. Well, that's what it means to save $150 over having it professionally done :D

dougeq

Nov 25, 2010
Harrisburg PA
I destroyed my streak LCD and glass when I dropped it from just over 2 feet so definitely use a case. Also I just ordered a replacement LCD and glass from Amazon for $100, that's what the description says. So the parts are coming now, finally I can't wait to have my streak back

Sent from my Desire HD or Inspire using XDA Premium App

benjoomali

Jan 4, 2011
I've heard that the glass that you buy elsewhere isn't truly gorilla glass? I posted this earlier, but the lcd in my dell streak is the only thing messed up, not the glass.

Can I just buy the lcd and digitizer? Or do I need the glass as well.

Zaslav

Jun 8, 2009
Toronto
Hey guys,

Besides amazon does anyone know of any other site to get an LCD replacement?

Or can someone recommend a seller on ebay?

I know people say Big_S is good, anyone have any experience?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

alperin1

Nov 30, 2010
Hey guys,

Besides amazon does anyone know of any other site to get an LCD replacement?

Or can someone recommend a seller on ebay?

I know people say Big_S is good, anyone have any experience?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Have a look at post 1 or post 2 and in the pdf on the last page is amplace the provided the LCD to me. They stock the LCD.

Reactions: Zaslav

Zaslav

Jun 8, 2009
Toronto
Thanks alperin1,

my last question is if I only order the digitizer how do I mount it to the glass since only glue is holding it together?

I didn't see that in the pdf

=s

sorry for the noobish questions I just want to make sure I have all the info before my teardown.

Thank you!

Top Liked Posts