5,598,820 Members 32,329 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE] Install Stock 2.3 (GB) Launcher over CM7

Tip us?

martonikaj
Old
(Last edited by TheRomMistress; 19th March 2011 at 09:24 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1713
Default [GUIDE] Install Stock 2.3 (GB) Launcher over CM7

Sorry if this is in a bad spot, I just see this question ALL the time and I'm gonna make a good How-To in order to just link to it for all the questions that come up! (I'm going to cross-post in G2/DZ Q&A too).

When I started using CM7 nightlies, I loved the ROM, and I understand Cyanogen's reasoning for using an open source, versatile launcher like ADW, but I and many others prefer the look/feel/performance of the stock 2.3 launcher.

Installing the stock 2.3 Gingerbread launcher on CM7!

First off, props to frank707 from the Nexus S forums for this mod link. I suggest you go to the original thread and hit the Thanks button for his work.

You can find the mod here in the Nexus S forum: THREAD.

Download the first file in the thread and place on the root of your SD Card (not in any folder). This file is called "CM7GBStockLauncher.zip" (I've attached to this post for easy access as well).

Disclaimer: You'll lose all your homescreen placements and widgets you have set up with ADW launcher the first time you install this stock launcher.

1) Enter recovery. Hold down the power button in CM7 > Reboot > Recovery > Ok
2) In recovery, select "install zip from sdcard" > "choose zip from sdcard" > select CM7GBStockLauncher.zip > scroll down with track-pad and hit YES.
3) You will see a progress bar and "ADW Launcher is now being uninstalled and replaced with the stock launcher"
4) When its complete select "reboot system now" in recovery, and get back to setting up your homescreens with the stock launcher.

And you're done! Enjoy your stock launcher and 3D app drawer!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Additional info for people updating CM7 Nightlies:

If you want to flash this over nightlies every day, you need to follow a specific order to not lose your placements again.
1) Flash CM7 nightly via recovery (not ROM manager)
2) After install, stay in recovery (don't boot up into the ROM!), go to Advanced > Reboot recovery
3) After recovery reboots, flash the launcher mod (follow above steps).
4) Reboot system, and you'll be greeted by your original homescreen placements that you had before the CM7 update.

Just in case you're lazy, I've attached the launcher file also.
Attached Files
File Type: zip CM7GBStockLauncher.zip - [Click for QR Code] (6.47 MB, 1648 views)
Quit signing contracts, stop overpaying for service, GO PREPAID!
Follow me on Twitter / Google+
Don't have Dropbox yet? Sign up from this link, and we both get more storage!
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to martonikaj For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Hot_Hands
Old
Thanks Meter 29
I use ADW Ex, but this is nice to have vs ADW and EX.

llontop.m
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Default thanks!

Wow I was just thinking about why CM7 doesn't have stock launcher and here I go finding your post. Thanks a lot man, and I'll give props due to the guy that ported it from the nexus s. Thanks a lot, I've been running stock android on my G2 simply because I love everything stock. Now i can jump back on CM7, sweet!
HTC Sensation 4G (a.k.a Pyramid)
Stock Android 2.3.3
Build - 1.29.531.2

martonikaj
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1713
Quote:
Originally Posted by llontop.m View Post
Wow I was just thinking about why CM7 doesn't have stock launcher and here I go finding your post. Thanks a lot man, and I'll give props due to the guy that ported it from the nexus s. Thanks a lot, I've been running stock android on my G2 simply because I love everything stock. Now i can jump back on CM7, sweet!
Glad I could help.

Nonentity018
Old
Thanks Meter 3
What are the benefits of stock over ADW, if you will excuse the noob question.
Devices:
Nexus 4
HTC One
Asus Eee Pad Transformer

Galaxy Nexus
HTC Vision/G2
Motorola Cliq
HTC Dream/G1

martonikaj
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonentity018 View Post
What are the benefits of stock over ADW, if you will excuse the noob question.
Stock generally runs smoother and consumes less power/RAM to run (not a ton, but a little bit). You also get the stock 3D app drawer.

And some people just like the stock look and feel, and don't use the ADW features anyways.

Nospin
Old
Thanks Meter 236
You sir are fantastic!

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA App

martonikaj
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nospin View Post
You sir are fantastic!
Aw, shucks. Glad to help.

Sent from my CM7-powered T-Mobile G2
The Following User Says Thank You to martonikaj For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cdue
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hi martonikaj,

Thanks for your post, I was just looking for a way to get the stock 3D app drawer on my Desire runningCM7 RC02 (I don't have the Desire Z, but the older one), but I have a problem and I don't know how to resolve it, so I would really appreciate if you could help.

I used Clockwork Recovery to install the zip from sdcard. And everything looked fine has it told me ADW was replaced by the stock launcher. But after my Desire rebooted ADW was still there :'(
So I looked at the logCat and here is what I saw :

E/PackageParser( 158): Package com.android.launcher has no certificates at entry classes.dex; ignoring!

I retried but the exact same thing happened...
I googled this error but didn't find the solution.

I also looked at my "system/app" folder, ADWLauncher.apk disapeared and now I can find Launcher2.apk, but if I click on it, I just get : "app not installed" (not shure for the message as my phone is in french).

So do you have any idea?
You or anybody else of course

supermario12312
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdue View Post
Hi martonikaj,

Thanks for your post, I was just looking for a way to get the stock 3D app drawer on my Desire runningCM7 RC02 (I don't have the Desire Z, but the older one), but I have a problem and I don't know how to resolve it, so I would really appreciate if you could help.

I used Clockwork Recovery to install the zip from sdcard. And everything looked fine has it told me ADW was replaced by the stock launcher. But after my Desire rebooted ADW was still there :'(
So I looked at the logCat and here is what I saw :

E/PackageParser( 158): Package com.android.launcher has no certificates at entry classes.dex; ignoring!

I retried but the exact same thing happened...
I googled this error but didn't find the solution.

I also looked at my "system/app" folder, ADWLauncher.apk disapeared and now I can find Launcher2.apk, but if I click on it, I just get : "app not installed" (not shure for the message as my phone is in french).

So do you have any idea?
You or anybody else of course
Could be a bad download. Re-download and try again.