whats the best video chat app qik, tango, fring or oovoo

OP djeddieone

19th March 2011, 06:10 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 72

357 posts
More
So after using Cyanogen 6 & 7 here's a little review on what video chat apps work on froyo CM6 and Gingerbread CM7. I figured this would save some of you some time

Qik - works great on CM6 but it force closes on CM7. Video quality is good and audio is ok good enough to do the job

Tango - works great on CM7 with a mod where you can use front and back cameras. But on CM6 it only detects the back camera. Video quality is good but audio not so good

Fring - works on CM7 with out any mods but the video and audio quality is not so good. On CM6 it only detects the back camera.

Oovoo - is the new kid on the block working great both audio and video on CM6. I didn't test it on CM7 so if someone does let me know this app and Qik is the reason why I went back to CM6 from CM7.
19th March 2011, 10:21 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 10

127 posts
I've tried them all too but unfortunately the battery drain from the apps is really poor... I just uninstalled and will reinstall when a friend wants to video chat.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using XDA App
19th March 2011, 07:06 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 72

357 posts
More
Battery life on cm6 is really good even with the video chat apps
20th March 2011, 01:57 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 33

159 posts
Tango is still upside down for me on FFC using CM7. Changing manufacturer to Samsung in build.prop didn't fix it . Image is right side up using the back camera.
20th March 2011, 08:02 AM   |  #5  
Flag Spokane, WA
Thanks Meter: 236

1,369 posts
More
What about Yahoo? It's apparently the only one that works from phone to PC. Can anyone confirm on our devices?

21st March 2011, 06:09 PM   |  #6  
Flag Orlando
Thanks Meter: 2

31 posts
More
I have used Qik and Tango and Tango has worked best for me.
29th March 2011, 02:31 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 31

614 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJBunch1228

What about Yahoo? It's apparently the only one that works from phone to PC. Can anyone confirm on our devices?

Oovoo dose too I have tried with my girlfriend and it's of good quality. But I'm not sure if it works with any of the cm mods

29th March 2011, 04:39 AM   |  #8  

227 posts
More
bump..i would like to find out too since i video chat with my girlfriend who's on a computer..

where do u get the oovoo app? didnt see it in the market and the website says your device is not supported..
29th March 2011, 09:55 AM   |  #9  
Flag cali
Thanks Meter: 326

2,101 posts
Tango works great for my girl and I using the older version. The updated version has us looking at each other upside down. So if anyone having that problem just revert back to the older version.

Qik I have not tried since I flashed cm. I heard its working on the latest nightly build but have not tried it. I never liked the quality when I used to use it on the stock rom anyways.

Yahoo video chat still gotta be the best though. Video and sound quality are best. Better than qik and tango. And it does not work only from pc to device, it also works from device to device.

29th March 2011, 02:28 PM   |  #10  

227 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by coupetastic-droid

Tango works great for my girl and I using the older version. The updated version has us looking at each other upside down. So if anyone having that problem just revert back to the older version.

Qik I have not tried since I flashed cm. I heard its working on the latest nightly build but have not tried it. I never liked the quality when I used to use it on the stock rom anyways.

Yahoo video chat still gotta be the best though. Video and sound quality are best. Better than qik and tango. And it does not work only from pc to device, it also works from device to device.

but yahoo chat isnt working with CM..i think that's what most of us are facing

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread