Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,867 Members 41,471 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[TESTING] Rootfs for Blackstone - new keymap (11.4.2011)

Tip us?

g3rm0
Old
(Last edited by g3rm0; 11th April 2011 at 03:13 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 81
Lightbulb [TESTING] Rootfs for Blackstone - new keymap (11.4.2011)

This thread is dedicated to enhance/optimize Blackstone button layout.

I've started this thread because I would like to test rootfs image made especially for Blackstone. For now it's about the new key mapping. We (the Blackstone users) were missing the "Recent Apps" menu until recently when Stickman89 made some progress in this area but unfortunately he retired. Now his rootfs is outdated and this is where I took over. My rootfs is a modification to the latest official one and includes the new key mapping. The goal here is to have "Recent Apps" menu AND power button fully functional at the same time (and possibly merge upstream when the work is done here).

Native Android device is required to have at least 5 buttons. They are: Power/Sleep, Vol Up, Vol Down, Home, Menu, Back. Our device has 6: Power/Sleep, Vol Up, Vol Down, Call, Home, Back, End Call. This means we can have all the buttons like in Android device only if we sacrifice Call or End Call. Call is also used to do BT voice dialing and I don't want to break this option when BT will be fixed. End call on the other hand is only needed to end calls and there are other ways of doing this (map power button in Accessibility menu or use on-screen End call). I've decided to have Home button acting as a menu and End Call as a home key (because it really doesn't change much except End Call is the real HOME now).

Here's how the new button layout looks like:

**UPDATE: 11.4.2011**

You can now have Home button working as HOME and End Call button being MENU. To try this simply add: physkeyboard=blac to your startup.txt cmdline. Without this parameter button will be mapped like in my previous rootfs (see picture above).
As a bonus I've cooked a new zImage + modules. Nothing really dramatic - just bringing JB's audio shuttering patch to the latest official kernel.

/UPDATE

[LEGAL BS]
THIS IS WORK IN PROGRESS. IT IS VERY UNLIKELY TO CAUSE ANY DAMAGE BUT BE AWARE: YOU CAN USE IT only AT YOUR OWN RISK. I CAN'T BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO DATA AND/OR HARDWARE CAUSED DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY BY MY RELEASES
[/LEGAL BS]
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to g3rm0 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

g3rm0
Old
(Last edited by g3rm0; 19th March 2011 at 03:50 PM.) Reason: add troubleshooting guide
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 81
TROUBLESHOOTING (if one step doesn't help - move to another):
1. Backup your data and delete data.img.
2. Format your SD card.
3. Use the latest official rootfs (if it's working report it here).
4. Try the latest Xdandroid release (other builds my not be compatible).
5. Find the setup (kernel/system/rootfs) that works fine.
6. If it's still not working - ask here.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to g3rm0 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Eodun
Old
Thanks Meter 51
Been using this for days and no problems, it works great.

First times you have to remember to end call with power button, but the small call icon in notifications does the trick XD
HTC Touch HD (AKA Blackstone) running CWM 1.8 + XDAndroid FRX07 + kernel 2.6.27.46-01342 from autobuild, radio 1.17.25.09 (NOT IN USE)

HTC Touch HD2 (AKA Leo) running NANDroid with cLK, CWM & HyperDroid CM7 v6.0.0 (NOT IN USE)

Samsung Galaxy SIII Chainfire's CWM, rooted

Hit THANKS if I helped

MrAce
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Also been using since first posted with audio stuttering fix - been great.

jeanfrederic
Old
Thanks Meter 9
With your kernel + rootfs, I can't have geolocalization anymore on Froyo X red.
Gonna try the last "official" rootfs.

Eodun
Old
Thanks Meter 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanfrederic View Post
With your kernel + rootfs, I can't have geolocalization anymore on Froyo X red.
Gonna try the last "official" rootfs.
It's doubtful at best that if you change rootfs you can continue calling it froyo x red. This is based in stock FRX05 XDAndroid, which I encourage using.

Anyway, it works perfectly for me, try updating QuickGPS within WM before booting Haret
HTC Touch HD (AKA Blackstone) running CWM 1.8 + XDAndroid FRX07 + kernel 2.6.27.46-01342 from autobuild, radio 1.17.25.09 (NOT IN USE)

HTC Touch HD2 (AKA Leo) running NANDroid with cLK, CWM & HyperDroid CM7 v6.0.0 (NOT IN USE)

Samsung Galaxy SIII Chainfire's CWM, rooted

Hit THANKS if I helped
The Following User Says Thank You to Eodun For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jeanfrederic
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eodun View Post
It's doubtful at best that if you change rootfs you can continue calling it froyo x red. This is based in stock FRX05 XDAndroid, which I encourage using.

Anyway, it works perfectly for me, try updating QuickGPS within WM before booting Haret
OK thx, gonna trash xRED ans try FRX05 so. (have to say the more builds are up the more i'm getting lost anyway )

hrk7474
Old
Thanks Meter 25
These device-specific replacement files are totally the bomb!
I had been thinking about a special thread like 'How to make it work on a Blackstone', where we could collect quickfixes, workarouds and special files, but apart from the rootfs and kernel there's not much else wrong with the terrific FRX05 and GBX0A releases. The latter not even being beta yet!!!
Samsung Galaxy S2 i9100
All sorts of ROMs depending on the day of the week
http://mycolorscreen.com/hrk7474@XDA/

little john nl
Old
Thanks Meter 0
kernel running smooth en stable

only hope battery time 10 a 11 houre i hope
in the future that make longer ...

go on with this nice work !!

MagicMans
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thank You Very Much for the rootfs..working great..
This is just a suggestion from me.....what do u think of making the real home button as the HOME BUTTON and End Button as Menu Button....and same for top button as sleep.....??

Tags
blackstone, keymap, rootfs