[Q] Runkeeper and Google Play Music at the same time

Search This thread

abfeinberg

Apr 15, 2015
Hi folks, I'm looking to potentially buy a Sony Smartwatch 3, and my goal is to go for a run where I use Runkeeper and play Google Play Music on the device at the same time, while not having my phone on me. Has anyone tried this? Is this possible with the Sony Smartwatch 3?
Thanks..

tu3218

Apr 14, 2009
Exactly what I do. Well I use ghostracer but you will be able to do exactly what you're saying. I love it. So nice not having to run with my phone anymore.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using XDA Free mobile app

dougperx

Aug 24, 2011
Yes I routinely use Runkeeper and Google Music at the same time

Sent from my Nexus 9 using XDA Free mobile app

nedmmo

Apr 16, 2015
hey just unwrapped my SW3 today and joined XDA.

Im currently going through the motions of getting music onto my SW3 for this purpose.

My findings so far are this. there two options.

1. Download and install the Sony walkman APK availabe on Xda...dont have link handy. This was super flakey all day for me today on my HTC one M8 converted to GPE running 5.1. but it now seems to be working and i am currently syncing my first album to SW3. this is taking its sweet time to be honest.

2. Using google play music. Now this isnt as easy as one would hope or imagine. It relies on all your music (personal stuff downloaded from where ever and stored on phone) to be uploaded to Google Play (room for 50000 songs) from a computer.
So today i have been doing this (getting payed at work mind you), copying all music to the computer from phone, then uploading to the google play servers.
Then once all music is uploaded you need to then create a playlist on the google play chrome app with the music you want on your wear. then go into the google play music app on phone, go to settings and hit refresh. this should then show the playlist you created with cloud stored music. Once your in that playlist on your phone, you should see an option to download it. Do so.
Then go to settings again on the phone and enable download to android wear option.

this should technically auto download only this playlist to your SW3...but im yet to test it cause it literally takes forever to upload the music from computer to google play. SW3 needs to be atleast 70% battery first.

Obviously, the walkman route is the much simpler option here. But only readily available to those with a Sony Xperia phone which runs the Walkman app natively.

Hopefully there is some kind of update coming with easier Wear music management.

dougperx

Aug 24, 2011
and how did you select which music you put on the watch, because I only see the option to synch, but I can't select what to download. I want to download only a "running" playlist

The method Nedmo illustrates is correct. When you choose the option to sync to Android Wear all of the music you download to your phone will be sync'd to your wear device. I have 2 playlists - Running Pop and Running Rock, because I pin them to be downloaded to my phone and because I chose the option to sync to Wear, both playlists are on my SW3. When I run I simply play or shuffle either of the playlists. I agree I wish there was a way to choose to only sync some of my downloaded music to the Wear device, but its easy enough anyways and there's plenty of room.

Hesthrim

Dec 2, 2014
Calgary
The way Wear handles Google Play Music is pretty brutal. I've got almost 50GB of music on my phone (SD card) and no possible way to pick and choose what gets pushed to my SW3. I have to listen to whatever is on my watch at the time when I'm running. It seems like it'll just overwrite oldest upload with newest when you grab more music.