[Q] Motoactv Workout app Crash Force Closing when BLE Polar H7 Paired

Search This thread

scoobdriver

Feb 12, 2009
I'm pretty sure I had this working on the NA Rom, I'm now using the Stock EU 8GB Rom and the workout app wont start when my HRM is paired..
It crashes and force closes.
However the HRM does pair, and I can see my Heartrate displayed when I use the Heart rate clock face.

Anyone experienced this ? Any fix anyone knows of ?

scoobdriver

Feb 12, 2009
I'm pretty sure I had this working on the NA Rom, I'm now using the Stock EU 8GB Rom and the workout app wont start when my HRM is paired..
It crashes and force closes.
However the HRM does pair, and I can see my Heartrate displayed when I use the Heart rate clock face.

Anyone experienced this ? Any fix anyone knows of ?

Reading Moto Support forums, looks like it may have stopped working in ROM upgrade to 1.7.xx Does anyone have 1.6.13 for example ?

J*R

May 25, 2014
Fix for pairing with Polar H7

Hi scoobdriver,

This problem is related to versions 1.7.x of the MotoACTV firmware. There are several posts in the Motorola forums, but no official answer from Moto for the last two years. Up to now, the only solution if you wanted to pair your H7 with the MotoACTV was to revert to 1.6.12 (the last rom working with the H7). Luckily, ClearD root tool can do that for you ("return to stock" functionality flashes 1.6.12). Please read the instructions carefully before you try to root your device if you choose to follow this path.

In my case, I decided to follow a different path and go into the code for comparing both 1.7.10/12 and 1.6.12 (the last working rom). I found out that some dev at Moto thought that a null pointer check was not necessary when setting up the activity screen, and this caused an uncaught null pointer exception and the already famous crash "Sorry. The application Workout (com.motorola.gault.activity) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." Surprisingly, it had nothing to do with BLE protocol or with any compatibility problem with Polar implementation/interpretation of BLE.

I have fixed and repackaged the conflictive apk (attached); after several tests and workouts it has not given me any problems. If you want to test it, you can update you MotoACTV to the latest rom (1.7.10/1.7.12) with MotoCast, root it (read the available excellent tutorials on how to do it, if you need), download the attached file and copy it to the device with adb:
Code:
adb remount
adb pull /system/app/Workout.apk Workout_backup.apk      # (if you want to backup your original apk)
adb push Workout.apk /system/app/
adb shell chmod 644 /system/app/Workout.apk

I know it could be packaged in a more friendly (non-adb) way, but I want to make sure it really works before going on. I have tested it with ClearD rom, but it should also work for a stock rom. Anyway, be warned that rooting and playing with adb is at your own risk, as usual. In any case, If you test the modified apk and you get any undesired result, do not hesitate to come back to this post.

Attachments

• Workout.apk
    3.7 MB · Views: 292

rocos

Sep 14, 2006
Hi scoobdriver,

This problem is related to versions 1.7.x of the MotoACTV firmware. There are several posts in the Motorola forums, but no official answer from Moto for the last two years. Up to now, the only solution if you wanted to pair your H7 with the MotoACTV was to revert to 1.6.12 (the last rom working with the H7). Luckily, ClearD root tool can do that for you ("return to stock" functionality flashes 1.6.12). Please read the instructions carefully before you try to root your device if you choose to follow this path.

In my case, I decided to follow a different path and go into the code for comparing both 1.7.10/12 and 1.6.12 (the last working rom). I found out that some dev at Moto thought that a null pointer check was not necessary when setting up the activity screen, and this caused an uncaught null pointer exception and the already famous crash "Sorry. The application Workout (com.motorola.gault.activity) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." Surprisingly, it had nothing to do with BLE protocol or with any compatibility problem with Polar implementation/interpretation of BLE.

I have fixed and repackaged the conflictive apk (attached); after several tests and workouts it has not given me any problems. If you want to test it, you can update you MotoACTV to the latest rom (1.7.10/1.7.12) with MotoCast, root it (read the available excellent tutorials on how to do it, if you need), download the attached file and copy it to the device with adb:
Code:
adb remount
adb pull /system/app/Workout.apk Workout_backup.apk      # (if you want to backup your original apk)

I know it could be packaged in a more friendly (non-adb) way, but I want to make sure it really works before going on. I have tested it with ClearD rom, but it should also work for a stock rom. Anyway, be warned that rooting and playing with adb is at your own risk, as usual. In any case, If you test the modified apk and you get any undesired result, do not hesitate to come back to this post.

Thank you so much for this J*R! I just bought a motoactv just to use it with BLE accessories and none were working until I applied your APK. Straight forward very easy to follow instructions. Everything is working now.

I can't believe Motorola is not doing anything about it. Even if it's a discontinued product, it doesn't have to be a useless one....

rocos

Last edited:

Gendy_64

Jun 14, 2009
not working

Hi and thank s for your work.
i m cleardroid rooted (1.7.10) and put your workout.apk fix on my actv...but still not ok. (Same msg: workout... crash....try again later)
First time, when i try to backup my original workout.apk in adb , the file was not founded on my actv. I push whatever your apk in system/app and everything is ok in adb. But nothing change for my problem when i try to launch a jogging.Is it possible that my actv system path is different of your example? (System/app)
i dont know if is it possible to explore the system file of my actv, at least for know where path is my original workout and replace it by your fix.
thank s man and sorry for my ugly english...i m french. ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Fix for pairing with Polar H7

Hi scoobdriver,

Code:
    adb remount