Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,072 Members 46,882 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Smartwatch K2 W100/Star Kingelon K2 Android 4.2 MTK6572 Builtin Camera, Gear Clone?

Tip us?

arovaris
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Many k2 owners had related issues with k2. I don't have any issue. Maybe issues is with smartphones? I has a z1.
Xperia Z1+ K2 Smart Watch

s7yler
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 173

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by arovaris View Post
Many k2 owners had related issues with k2. I don't have any issue. Maybe issues is with smartphones? I has a z1.
I don't think many owners have issues with it, just many questions or issues because they modified it. I have no problems with mine.
Please hit the THANKS button, if I helped you in any way in here / You can also search for my name on Youtube!

simple1i
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7yler View Post
Detailed "Unboxing" and my first hands on (Samsung Galaxy Gear Watch clone/replica)

(You can find more reviews on my Youtube channel, I have also tested another smartwatch called PW305)

[/URL]
@s7yler - excellent review, its makes it easier not only to do all the hacks but to make a clear decision to buy.

Could you kindly make one for the Omate clone, called Z15, previously called the Z8

Here's the link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=145

And here's the link to Omate development

I've been on your Youtube channel, its very useful. Thanks again.

Lstoner
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Issues with K2??

Hi,

I been looking at this thread over and over and finally took the plunge and brought one of these watches off AliExpress around 3 weeks ago.

After no arrival of parcel and a delivery number which didn't exist I've contacted the seller who said the warehouse has said there's software issues with the K2 and need an extra 5-10 days to fix...after seeing the last posts regarding issues... Is this right or am I being fobbed off?

Was so excited when buying but sadly that's dwindling the longer I'm waiting..

Also one more question..I'm questing it's not waterproof due to the open USB port.. Will the K2 fit into the original gear charging case?

Thanks in advance

standef
Old
Thanks Meter 9
I've had this watch a few months and it does have some issues. Bluetooth drops a lot ( a know issue with MTK processors). The gesture feature has never worked. Batter ylife is about 1 day with average useage. APK notifier does not work with all push notifications.
However, the sprocket push app makes up for that. Volume on phone calls is very low--- not nearly what it should be.

I was able to root it easily and most apps work OK. s7yler's review is very aaccurate.

I do use it as my daily driver until the Bluetooth starts acting up. That's my biggest gripe.

The quality build is quite good. I wish the issues I have addressed where taken care of and it would be a GREAT phone.

It seems like the watch is no longer available--maybe because of these issues.

I have tried a number of watches and this one and the martian passport are the best of the lot IMHO.

Let us know when you get yours. If the firmware has changed you'll need to post it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lstoner View Post
Hi,

I been looking at this thread over and over and finally took the plunge and brought one of these watches off AliExpress around 3 weeks ago.

After no arrival of parcel and a delivery number which didn't exist I've contacted the seller who said the warehouse has said there's software issues with the K2 and need an extra 5-10 days to fix...after seeing the last posts regarding issues... Is this right or am I being fobbed off?

Was so excited when buying but sadly that's dwindling the longer I'm waiting..

Also one more question..I'm questing it's not waterproof due to the open USB port.. Will the K2 fit into the original gear charging case?

Thanks in advance

MrRimmer
Old
(Last edited by MrRimmer; 11th September 2014 at 11:26 PM.)
Thanks Meter 4
Default My experience

Had mine for a few weeks, overall a positive impression but with a few caveats:

1. Bluetooth - as said above, MTK bluetooth stack can crash and the only cure is a reboot. Same with my phone which as MT6589 processor.
2. Plugging in any USB lead that isn't powered causes the watch to shut down, so I can't use a USB headphone adapter to listed to music or the radio.
3. Phantom screen presses causes random actions. I have it configured to show touches and sometimes I see two spots on the screen that cannot be cleared without pressing the side button (to shut off the screen).
4. Maybe linked to the touch-screen problem above, sometimes the down swipe used as "back" is misinterpreted as a click, causing annoying actions.
5. It's a bit thick meaning it won't go under a shirt cuff, so is exposed (and on show) all the time. Not a good look!
6. Notifications are a not well done, especially for Whatsapp, but I think that is a fault of the application, not the phone.
7. Obviously, due to the size of the screen, keyboard input is a nightmare.
8. The camera has stopped working.

On the positive side, having alerts on the wrist is very useful, which it does well (as long as bluetooth is working). I even got BBC iPlayer working well on it, realising a lifetime dream of having a television on my wrist!!

I've applied the latest MLais firmware to it, can't tell the difference but am now on 02_sw_jh_mlais_20140718 which I have uploaded to needrom here: http://www.needrom.com/download/mlais-watch-2/
Star Ulefone N9589 4.2.1
Kingelon SWatch K2

Lstoner
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default K2

standef

Thanks. Not planning to root anytime soon but will manually push APKs to watch. But will have to look at firmware when and if I ever get the watch. Also in regards to the sprocket app..how does that compare to swapp link? Both look good in what they do...

MrRimmer:

Hmmm sounds like there is a problem! I just hope the seller doesn't muck the watch up by attempting something. Cynical I know... However up till today I was led to believe it was on its way to me!

I'm planning to use watch for work which is a short sleeve uniform... So thickness I hope won't be a problem... And hearing you say bbc I player gives me the hope of getting deezer to work on it which is main reason I brought to connect to vehicle Bluetooth (which I've read somewhere someone has successfully done) and be able to control music without touching phone.

Also anyone tried utter! On it? I know it's in beta but hoping offline keyboard will help when watch isn't connected to wifi....

hwijers
Old
Thanks Meter 0
@s7yler excellent review indeed
since there are many names for the same watch at first glance seem to be there anyway variances.

Smart Watch Gear K2 Watch : manufacturer homepage??
Resolution 320 x 240 pixels
Built-in 350mAh Battery

Mlais Watch : mlais.com/product-183.html
Resolution 240 x 240 pixels
450mAh Battery

Star Kingelon K2 : manufacturer homepage??
Built-in 350mAh Battery

hanzpeter
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwijers View Post
since there are many names for the same watch at first glance seem to be there anyway variances.

Built-in 350mAh Battery

450mAh Battery

Built-in 350mAh Battery
I highly doubt that there are actual difference between the "models". For example I bought mine as Smart Watch Gear K2 Watch, but it definitely does not have a 320 x 240 pixels diplay, but a 240 x 240 pixels. Another hint is that Roms for the MLAIS watch also work on the others (and otherwise around).

s7yler
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 173

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwijers View Post

Built-in 350mAh Battery

450mAh Battery

Built-in 350mAh Battery
I think they are all the same hardware, the original manufacture is unknown to the public. They just produce them, and various companies then pay to brand or rebrand them under their own name. It is the same with some phones, like the C1000, its out as Kingelon C1000, Star C1000 and just C1000, all the same, just different names.
Please hit the THANKS button, if I helped you in any way in here / You can also search for my name on Youtube!

Tags
kingelon k2, smartwatch k2, star e2602, w100