FORUMS

Analysis & Opinion

Top Forum Discussions

Could this be the cheapest 'proper' smartphone watch?

52 posts
Thanks Meter: 8

By marcusroberts, Member on 12th May 2014, 06:31 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
...by 'proper', I mean 'standalone'!

Basically the same as my old Vapirius AX (similar to Rock/Z1) that I've used daily for 2 years, but much cheaper and runs Android 4.1 and it has 320x240 2'' screen and not the square 240x240 1.5'' style of most watches which I can't get on with.

I'm going to order it and check it out. .

Nothing to lose at that price!

http://www.hongkongeek.com/en/smartw...ndroid-41.html

Wearable Smart Phone Watch AN1 2.0" Touch Screen Android 4.1.1 w/ Camera / Wi-Fi - White + Silver - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

13th May 2014, 06:34 PM |#2  
Flag Laguna Hills
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Looks like the Neptune Pine...
5th June 2014, 04:38 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
The AN1 Reviewed (I Think Comprehensively)
Here's what you need to know about the watch, which I've used for several days. It's more a sweet novelty than a gadget of genuine use. But it works. It's basically a mini-tablet phone (or phablet) and functions via the exact same Android protocols, except the master controls are hard, physical buttons built into the left and right sides, rather than soft touch-buttons on or below the screen. And of course the interface is configured to adapt to the tiny size. Yet at two-inches, that screen is a bit big for comfort if you like wearing the watch face on the inside of your wrist (which I do). So I sometimes rotate it to switch position.

Touch sensitivity seems excellent, as well as touch accuracy, which is hugely important given the minuscule QWERTY keyboard that pops up when you need to enter text. Unlocking the startup screen is frustrating at first until you figure out that you have to swipe the icon up or down, not to the side, as on bigger screens. There's no icon or hard control to access the active-apps screen (from which you can toggle back and forth between active apps and turn running apps off); as on certain larger phablets, you get to it by long-pressing the home screen button.

Because the AN1 is small, its WiFi receptivity is modest (the signal is strongest the closer you are to the source). So's volume but it's not bad for the size. You won't hear much through the earphones except in relatively quiet places, unless you have a separate sound booster; but in quiet places it isn't bad. However, it's impossible to attach the earphones one-handed; at least it is for me: You have to hold open the protective soft plastic flap that covers the mini-USB port (which is where they attach), which means you can't wear it while setting that up. That said, the AN1 will also transmit to Bluetooth headsets. And video/audio playback is very smooth. Even impressive, all things considered. Not a gamester, so no idea how gameplay would go. But with a two-inch screen, why would you want to?

Believe it or not, eBook reading is also a very decent experience in either the page or landscape aspect, though for simple eye-to-text positioning, page view works best if you take the watch off and operate it two-handed. In landscape view, though, you can make like Dick Tracy. The only reading app I've tried so far is Amazon Kindle, but every feature seems to work per normal. Whatever normal is at that size.

No problem with the phone detecting a SIM card or storage-expansion microSD card (I added the 32G max, which costs all of $10 on eBay). But the cards are tricky to insert, because the lock flaps that secure them in place are so flimsy. However, once they're in, they're in. And insertion of the expansion card is critical, since the Internal Storage provided is write-protected; you won't be able to download (via internet) or sideload (via computer) files or apps without providing extra storage.

The battery is built into the back cover. Comes the time when it no longer holds a charge, one would need a replacement cover. I assume those are available or will be made so eventually.

There's no Playstore app included; plus it's futile to sideload-and-install Playstore from another source, since the app quits as soon as it boots. There is instead the HiMarket app, whose store features mostly Chinese text; but if you know the apps you want/need, you can still enter a search in English and find them -- most of the time. Sideloading and installing other apps also seems to work -- most of the time.

And oh, yeah -- in the "Good safety tip, Egon" department -- don't wear the AN1 (or any other Android watch of similar concept) in inclement weather. With an exposed speaker grille and exposed miniUSB access port (the protective flap doesn't fit snugly), not to mention hard buttons that aren't part of the case proper, bringing this out into very moist air or, worse, active precipitation, would be like putting your iPad in a filling toilet tank to see how high the water has to go before it fries.

Not encountering anything much in the way of buggyness yet. All in all, the AN1 does precisely what it claims to do. And for the conversation-pieceness of it, and frankly, the satisfaction of my curiosity, I'm happy to be an owner. It won't collect dust. But it's not for the customer looking for significant enhancement of his electronic life beyond what he already has.
6th June 2014, 05:05 PM |#4  
OP Member

More
Thanks for the review.

Also been using the AN1 for a couple of weeks and fairly impressed, but then I've been wearing a similar one for a couple of years and have only that and a conventional phone to compare it with.

Confused what you say about the battery; my AN1 has a battery on the back that can be detached and changed by pressing a small recessed lug/clip. The battery is the same as the old Z1/Rock/Vapirius so is readily available. Are you sure your battery is non-removable?

Also, as it's rooted - although Superuser is not installed - all current Play Store and Google services, sync adapters etc can be side loaded into system/apps, changing permissions the usual way. I am running all the latest Google App stuff now, but you're right about the Chinese Market and I removed it immediately along with anything Baidu related.

My only mild criticism of the watch (I can live with the floppy USB port cover as most mobile phones have no cover whatsoever) is the screen, not the digitizer which as you point out is responsive and works well, but the outside screen. It's scratched badly already and cleaning it makes it even worse. It's almost like a bad plastic. My other smartwatch has been used every day for two years and the screen still looks brand new without protection.

Lesson is get a good screen protector BEFORE even touching it! Although is fairness, the scratches don't really show when the screen is powered.

The sound can be tweaked in the engineering settings (I've forgotten the number/symbol sequence to access those settings right now) and I have managed to get it sufficiently loud to annoy other people listening to a phone conversation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxzycSNQsz4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yjVVHpP1AM

Cheers!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marcusroberts For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th June 2014, 01:03 AM |#5  
Baghdad
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusroberts

Thanks for the review.

Also been using the AN1 for a couple of weeks and fairly impressed, but then I've been wearing a similar one for a couple of years and have only that and a conventional phone to compare it with.

Confused what you say about the battery; my AN1 has a battery on the back that can be detached and changed by pressing a small recessed lug/clip. The battery is the same as the old Z1/Rock/Vapirius so is readily available. Are you sure your battery is non-removable?

Also, as it's rooted - although Superuser is not installed - all current Play Store and Google services, sync adapters etc can be side loaded into system/apps, changing permissions the usual way. I am running all the latest Google App stuff now, but you're right about the Chinese Market and I removed it immediately along with anything Baidu related.

My only mild criticism of the watch (I can live with the floppy USB port cover as most mobile phones have no cover whatsoever) is the screen, not the digitizer which as you point out is responsive and works well, but the outside screen. It's scratched badly already and cleaning it makes it even worse. It's almost like a bad plastic. My other smartwatch has been used every day for two years and the screen still looks brand new without protection.

Lesson is get a good screen protector BEFORE even touching it! Although is fairness, the scratches don't really show when the screen is powered.

The sound can be tweaked in the engineering settings (I've forgotten the number/symbol sequence to access those settings right now) and I have managed to get it sufficiently loud to annoy other people listening to a phone conversation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxzycSNQsz4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yjVVHpP1AM

Cheers!

all good and great but remember its running android 2.x!
7th June 2014, 01:10 PM |#6  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylent

all good and great but remember its running android 2.x!

No. The AN1 is running 4.1.1. The older Vapirius watch I mentioned is running 2.1.
9th June 2014, 03:47 AM |#7  

More
with the z1 smartwatch / Vapirius they stopped with the clean rom I would like to see a custom rom for this
9th June 2014, 07:56 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 34

More
I found this clone of Galaxy Gear and it's even cheaper at $85.99 !?

http://vifocal.com/mobile-phones/oth...ch-screen.html

And a review for it:

http://www.quadcoremobiles.com/2014/...ndroid-4-2-os/
Last edited by acb123; 9th June 2014 at 08:02 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to acb123 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th June 2014, 03:30 PM |#9  

More
Wasn't the Galaxy Gear a fail.
9th June 2014, 03:50 PM |#10  
Flag london
Thanks Meter: 64

More
Specs'
Quote:
Originally Posted by acb123

I found this clone of Galaxy Gear and it's even cheaper at $85.99 !?

http://vifocal.com/mobile-phones/oth...ch-screen.html

And a review for it:

http://www.quadcoremobiles.com/2014/...ndroid-4-2-os/

For $85.99 you get: +$15 delivery to UK

8MP Camera
Android 4.2 OS
Thickness is about 8-9mm
MTK6572 Dual core processor, 512M RAM+4G ROM
350mAh Battery
E-Compass, Direction, acceleration, temperature,pressure, ambient temperature and linear acceleration sensor

Not bad. I wonder if its splash proof?

** More importantly, can you use Play Store? Anyone? **
Last edited by simple1i; 9th June 2014 at 03:59 PM.
9th June 2014, 09:51 PM |#11  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by simple1i

For $85.99 you get: +$15 delivery to UK

8MP Camera
Android 4.2 OS
Thickness is about 8-9mm
MTK6572 Dual core processor, 512M RAM+4G ROM
350mAh Battery
E-Compass, Direction, acceleration, temperature,pressure, ambient temperature and linear acceleration sensor

Not bad. I wonder if its splash proof?

** More importantly, can you use Play Store? Anyone? **

This isn't a Play Store compatible device. Also, looking at the pictures, the apps are proprietary.

Some Android devices, especially Chinese ones that I've used, Google Services aren't installed and have been done so manually in order to get all the Android features.

This isn't one of them.

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android, smartwatch

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)