Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,210 Members 49,346 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

buy this or a android wear device?

Tip us?

noahvt
Old
(Last edited by noahvt; 29th June 2014 at 09:15 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 294
Default buy this or a android wear device?

Hello,

I'm looking to buy a smartwatch and i'm choosing between a sony smartwatch 2 or a android wear device;

If i buy a android wear powered device i will only be able to use it for notifications cause the voice commands will probably not support my language (dutch)

and if I buy a sony smartwatch 2 i'll be able to use it fully since i have a sony smartphone

is this smartwatch 2 good enough for reading facebook messages, skipping between music tracks, adjusting volume? (and maybe toggling wifi, nfc, etc off on my phone from the watch) and ofcourse checking the time (considering the fact that it only has a 180mhz cpu) ?

and if I buy a sony smartwatch 2 i'll be able to use it fully since i have a sony smartphone

thanks,

noahvt
MY DEVICES:

XPERIA SP (C5303)
-CPU: 1.7ghz(DUAL) QUALCOMM SNAPDRAGON S4 PRO
-RAM: 1GB
-BOARD: MSM8960T
-GPU: Adreno 320
-ROM: [KK 4.4.3] OFFICIAL CM11 Nightly
-KERNEL: [CM11]Williams kernel V2

Asus Transformer tf300t (CARDHU)
-CPU: 1.7GHz( QUAD, OC ) TEGRA3 T30L
-BOARD: Cardhu
-GPU: TEGRA3
-ROM: MULTIBOOT: Xubuntu, ubuntu touch, cm11, Cromi-X, omni, Dirty Unicorns

SONY SW2
-CPU: 200MHZ(SINGLE) QUALCOMM M3

powerdud
Old
Thanks Meter 6
It can do all that pretty well. The toggles i think is a paid app though.

DeadlyDazza
Old
Thanks Meter 78
I can see the SW2 receiving a decent price drop on Android Wear release.

If it's a cheap smartwatch you want that does the job well then the SW2 will be just that at that time.

If you want the cream of the crop & don't mind paying a little more than the current SW2 price then wait for Android Wear & get one of those.

Either way, I'd say Android Wear will be the deciding factor on further investment or the death of the smartwatch.

JarlSX
Old
Thanks Meter 67
@noahvt no support for dutch, where did you get that?

google now responds pretty well to spoken dutch, so i assume google wear will as well

concerning the SW2, yes it can do all of that, most of it for free, might need a paid app or 2, but most of them cost a dollar or less
LG G3 | Galaxy Note 10.1

lexman098
Old
Thanks Meter 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahvt View Post
Hello,

I'm looking to buy a smartwatch and i'm choosing between a sony smartwatch 2 or a android wear device;

If i buy a android wear powered device i will only be able to use it for notifications cause the voice commands will probably not support my language (dutch)

is this smartwatch 2 good enough for reading facebook messages, skipping between music tracks, adjusting volume? (and maybe toggling wifi, nfc, etc off on my phone from the watch) and ofcourse checking the time (considering the fact that it only has a 180mhz cpu) ?

thanks,

noahvt
The SW2 does all of that and you don't even need a Sony phone. Android wear will maybe do half that stuff at best. It's just Google now with rich notifications.

Tonio78370
Old
Thanks Meter 41
I'm a bit surprised of al this wiping and swiping I see in the different video's on the Net. Looks like one needs to scroll a lot to get to the information you want. I find the icon style on the SW2 easier and it seems faster.

Envoyé depuis mon SM-N9005
Punctuation and spelling of this post are freely invented. Similarities with writing rules, ancient or current, are pure luck and unintentional.

suljo94
Old
Thanks Meter 151
google is going to add an option for non English language devices so that you can give a command in English and the speak your native a language

example

send message to x
ik zal niet op tijd zijn voor de vergadering omdat mijn trein vertraging heeft

Sent from my One X using XDA Free mobile app
If I have Helped you, feel free to use the "THANKS" Button

noahvt
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by suljo94 View Post
google is going to add an option for non English language devices so that you can give a command in English and the speak your native a language

example

send message to x
ik zal niet op tijd zijn voor de vergadering omdat mijn trein vertraging heeft

Sent from my One X using XDA Free mobile app
that's nice cause it would be a bit stupid to suddently start sending English texts to people i know xD so I think i'm going to go for a android wear device possible the moto 360 if it gets released in the next 2 weeks else i'll go for the lg one
MY DEVICES:

XPERIA SP (C5303)
-CPU: 1.7ghz(DUAL) QUALCOMM SNAPDRAGON S4 PRO
-BOARD: MSM8960T
-GPU: Adreno 320
-ROM: [KK 4.4.3] OFFICIAL CM11 Nightly
-KERNEL: [CM11]Williams kernel V2

Asus Transformer tf300t (CARDHU)
-CPU: 1.7GHz( QUAD, OC ) TEGRA3 T30L
-BOARD: Cardhu
-GPU: TEGRA3
-ROM: MULTIBOOT: Xubuntu, ubuntu touch, cm11, Cromi-X, omni, Dirty Unicorns

SONY SW2
-CPU: 200MHZ(SINGLE) QUALCOMM M3

apos1982
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I believe it is a little bit stupid to talk to your watch. It looks kind of ridiculous, i would never do it publicly.

suljo94
Old
Thanks Meter 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by apos1982 View Post
I believe it is a little bit stupid to talk to your watch. It looks kind of ridiculous, i would never do it publicly.
agreed !!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahvt View Post
that's nice cause it would be a bit stupid to suddently start sending English texts to people i know xD so I think i'm going to go for a android wear device possible the moto 360 if it gets released in the next 2 weeks else i'll go for the lg one
I personnally went for sw because the apps don't need speech to work but because you asked I gave you information and not an opinion
If I have Helped you, feel free to use the "THANKS" Button