Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,727 Members 52,155 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

DevilCase - Xperia Z1c Aluminum Bumper Review

Tip us?

ztryfe
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 23
Phone DevilCase - Xperia Z1c Aluminum Bumper Review

Hey Everyone!

So, I just bought one of this bumpers, there was not much info online on the fit, which had me on the fence, I pretty much narrowed down to Kewers Aluminium Case (Nicely detailed here ) and the Devilcase Aluminium bumper (Reviewed here but missing shots of the inside and fit of the case ). In the end I veered to the Devilcase, buying from Amazon, as the design seemed more clean to me.

I wanted to find pictures of a black Z1c with a black Devilcase bumper, nowhere to be found! Here is to fixing that.

First, I paid on a Tuesday, and the package came trough to my address at CA Friday the same week, despite USPS saying it would make it the next Wednesday, extra kudos on the shipping speed, with a hat tip to USPS.

Packaging was quite nice, no flimsy cardboard, first quality packaging and good presentation, see here:

The back of the packaging has a reference to "Z1 Compact Series is specifically designed for HTC Butterfly with high quality aluminium alloy.", so we know what file was duplicated to work on the packaging for this

Nagging asides, moving on to the actual case, I wont go trough the contents of the box, you can that see here: http://vimeo.com/92916925

One bright thing is that the box actually includes 2 replacement screws, I hope I dont need them never, but its nice to have 2 chances.

This is why the existing reviews didnt quite cut it for me, the "inside" of the bumper. The buttons are held with some plastic tape and while it looks somewhat shaky, taking into account its only supposed to hold the buttons while you install the bumper. Plus the metal buttons do not hit the buttons on the phone!

The inner side has small soft pieces of foam or some similar material, in several places, mainly where there is a beginning or end of section or a corner, this is one of the things I was looking for on online reviews! I dont want the bumper denting or damaging the phone just because.

Details on the fit of the inside, zoom in! pretty nice design and machining.

(No, I havent used the screen / back protectors that came with the bumper, yes I failed miserably installing that one, nope it doesn't bother me)

Details on the fitting:

Labeling, fair enough, not tacky as "Designed by spSOMEigen in California"

I Really liked the way the Devilcase bumper has a small indent to ease pulling the tabs on the flaps! plus this intent is perfectly centered to them, big kudos to the Industrial Design team.

The speaker looks even better with the case, plus it doesnt get muffled if you rest it on you while watching a video in bed or in a comfy couch, Kewers folks where worried about this and their design shows, the Devilcase gets it done somehow, looking much better IMO.

Plenty of room around the magnetic charger connector, I dont have a dock, so cant tell for the included plate, but seems the bumper has great clearance for allocating the connector.

Lots of space around the headphones connector, so huge plugs shouldnt be a problem, extremely flat connectors also cut it.

A great case, at $57 USD Shipped its definitively on the premium side, but I feel its worth it, you get 2 sets of screen / back protectors, 2 acohol cleaning pads and 2 stickers to peel off any gunk from your screen, 2 sets of back decals (faux carbon fiber and even fauxer leather), spare screws and a microfiber pad.

Heck you even get confirmation from them on their Plus page when your package ships and quick feedback.

Now... should I get the red one too? Looks amazing!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ztryfe For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

adryanodej
Old
Thanks Meter 57
nice review bro
Last devices: Xperia arc S --> Xperia S --> Xperia SP --> Xperia ZR --> Xperia Z1 --> Xperia Z1 Compact
The Following User Says Thank You to adryanodej For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

amedeonofal
Old
Thanks Meter 0
thank you for the review, but i still find it a little expensive...can someone find it for a cheaper price?

thermalboyz
Old
Thanks Meter 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by amedeonofal View Post
thank you for the review, but i still find it a little expensive...can someone find it for a cheaper price?
Unless you bought directly in Taiwan (Or have friends there), it will be cheaper.
Please hit "Thanks" Button if you feel I worth to be Thanked.

Sent from my Pigeon

xander59
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Hey, the power button is easy to push it to wake up ?

ztryfe
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander59 View Post
Hey, the power button is easy to push it to wake up ?

Another concern I had, surprisingly the button became easier to push than without it!

babydo
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Have you had signal loss with this? Aluminum bumpers are infamous for causing signal degradation.

tbot
Old
Thanks Meter 47
Of course they're not available now...

thermalboyz
Old
Thanks Meter 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by babydo View Post
Have you had signal loss with this? Aluminum bumpers are infamous for causing signal degradation.
From what I read from their website the cutout on top of the phone (Beside the Headphone Jack) on 2nd last picture, "Compared to the Z1 devilcase had better signal reception because of the cutout. However all aluminium case will cause signal degradation and difference only how large is the degradation.

So far I've only seen one aluminium case from (Kickstarter) claimed their case with 0% (or close to 0%) signal loss.
Please hit "Thanks" Button if you feel I worth to be Thanked.

Sent from my Pigeon

paulle
Old
Thanks Meter 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermalboyz View Post
From what I read from their website the cutout on top of the phone (Beside the Headphone Jack) on 2nd last picture, "Compared to the Z1 devilcase had better signal reception because of the cutout. However all aluminium case will cause signal degradation and difference only how large is the degradation.

So far I've only seen one aluminium case from (Kickstarter) claimed their case with 0% (or close to 0%) signal loss.
can you provide a link to the alu case on kickstarter ? thank you