FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Tell Me Your Experience NOT Using A Screen Protector

831 posts
Thanks Meter: 49

By rebecker, Senior Member on 27th August 2014, 04:23 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
I've had my Z1C a little less than a month. I started using a screen protector immediately because of all the warnings I saw here. In the first case I used one of those thin plastic protectors; I didn't like the look or feel. I'm currently using a glass protector; better look and feel. BUT, I really would like to use the phone without any screen protector. I had a Samsung Galaxy S2 for 3-1/2 years that I used without a screen protector (or case). The screen had NO scratches on it when I donated it to charity (the case was a bit roughed up). If any of you have had the Z1C more than 3 months and DON'T use a screen protector, can you tell me how well the screen is holding up? Do you have regrets about NOT using a protector? What is your opinion of all the "must use a screen protector" warnings.

I really like this phone, except for the whole screen delicacy issue. Your opinions are valued. Thanks.

27th August 2014, 05:40 PM |#2  
Until they start making Phones with 100% scratch proof/resistant glass then I'll never be without one, the first task before even switching a new Phone on is to apply the provided or pre purchased screen protector because each scratch on the screen directly or even the ASF lowers resale value imo.

I don't believe anyone can properly use a Phone for 3 years and not get a single scratch.
27th August 2014, 05:53 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 97

More
My I9001 (Galaxy S Plus) also didn't have any scratches without ever having used a case or protector. I'm just using one with the Z1C because it was twice as expensive, I don't really think I'd need one.
27th August 2014, 05:54 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Costa Rica or Minneapolis

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by XperienceD

I don't believe anyone can properly use a Phone for 3 years and not get a single scratch.

Not sure what your definition of "properly" is, but I did use my Galaxy S2 for more than 3 years in both the jungles of Costa Rica and the urban jungles of the US, with nary a scratch. 😉 Never used a case or protector and always carried it in my front pants pocket. Made sure it was the only thing in that pocket. Am I unique? I doubt it. There must be at least one other soul out there with the same luck. ☺
27th August 2014, 06:05 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iruwen

My I9001 (Galaxy S Plus) also didn't have any scratches without ever having used a case or protector. I'm just using one with the Z1C because it was twice as expensive, I don't really think I'd need one.

Glad to hear our Galaxy experiences were similar. And like you, with all the negative comments on screen scratches, I'm using a protector too. Just would prefer not to. In my case, I paid much more for the S2 than this new Z1. Still, I'd like to keep the screen as undamaged as possible. It's hard for me to believe screens have gotten softer, rather than harder. Might the issue be a bit exaggerated? That's why I'm looking for responses from users not using protection.
Last edited by rebecker; 27th August 2014 at 06:08 PM.
27th August 2014, 06:43 PM |#6  
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebecker

Not sure what your definition of "properly" is, but I did use my Galaxy S2 for more than 3 years in both the jungles of Costa Rica and the urban jungles of the US, with nary a scratch.

Hmm...

...(skip to 1:00) well that's interesting. I think the main problem with Sony is that the logo is baked into the ASF so if you remove it you remove the logo which I certainly don't want to do, but even then given the search results for gorilla glass scratched, I still wouldn't want to be without one.
27th August 2014, 07:04 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by XperienceD

Hmm...

...well that's interesting. I think the main problem with Sony is that the logo is baked into the ASF so if you remove it you remove the logo which I certainly don't want to do, but even then given the search results for gorilla glass scratched, I still wouldn't want to be without one.

So, it seems that the issue is not the softness of the glass, it's the softness of the ASF. So, once the ASF is damaged (a week, a month, a year, perhaps 3 years ) it can be removed and a glass protector or oleophobic coating liquid could be used to "refresh" the screen. So, what to do, what to do, hmmm? 1. Add a protector right away. 2. Remove the ASF once it gets damaged and add a protector. Or... 3. Remove the ASF once it gets damaged and use the coating liquid. None of these are really options I was looking for. So...again...anyone out there having good success with the Z1C's screen after 3 months of use who hasn't added any type of protection?
29th August 2014, 12:14 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
its like sex without a condom. much more fun without the protection, but you are afraid all the time
29th August 2014, 06:02 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
I've had mine for about 7 months and there has begun to appear small 'smudge-like' blemishes on the ASF. They're practically unnoticeable in daily use, partly because they're so small and 'light', but mostly because they're covered up by all the fingerprints. This is how I came to this thread, I noticed the fingerprints and thought perhaps I should test a scratch-protector, decided to wipe the phone to show off my 'protector-free spotless screen', but lo and behold, there are (albeit very slight) imperfections below the smudges!

While considering the period of use (7 months, not long, but not short either), these 'scratches' are hardly noteworthy, but I could definitively image it becoming a "problem" after 2-3 years, though it certainly depends on the care of which you handle the phone. I too keep my phone alone in the pocket as I'm sure keys would make quick work of the seemingly malleable ASF. I've twice during this period dropped the phone behind the bed, but never any significant (read: pavement) or high-height drops. But if you want your phone to stay mint then I'd probably have to recommend a scratch-protector. Perhaps even wiping the phone with certain kind of fabrics create these slight blemishes as well, or at least worsens prior scuff-marks.

But I'm worried about your opinions on the screen-protectors since I too have always disliked them (from afar, I've never actually used them myself.) I used my phone without any sort of protection for the first 6.5 months, just recently I received a semi-thin (terrapin) case because I noticed how bad the plastic backside was getting scratched for some reason -- worst part is I like the terrapin, which I didn't think I would, so I wish I'd gotten around to it earlier. When compared to the plastic backside, the ASF is pure diamond.

Think I'll order some type of scratch-protector to see if I can live with it, but I'm also not too worried about making the screen unreadable by not using one.
29th August 2014, 06:27 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tograd

I've had mine for about 7 months and there has begun to appear small 'smudge-like' blemishes on the ASF......

Thanks for your reply. As I've read the responses here, I've become convinced that a screen protector is probably generally needed. Sad . I currently have the Skinomi Techskin Carbon Fiber applique on the back. It looks good. I tried the Skinomi screen protector, but disliked the look and feel. I'm now using the Brando Tempered Glass Rounded Edition. It looks great and feels right to the touch. Other than 2 tiny flaws (one in the glass and one caused by my not getting all the dust off), it's nearly perfect. (And Brando's customer service is second to none!) So...I guess I'm going to use the protection, as much as I think it is a serious flaw on Sony's part. Not sure what their rationale was in using ASF. I expect more from them.

That being said, I love this phone.
29th August 2014, 07:01 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Agree and I appreciate the suggestions/recommendations.

I was hesitant to upload a photo of my phone because everything looks way worse than it really is.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6xE...l3OERQQ28/edit

95% of what you see in the picture is invisible in real life. So it's not as bad as it might seem, and a lot of it is probably just grease/dust rather than physical marks, but a lot of it is real (regardless if you can see it with your eyes or not) and is bound to accumulate further over time. The bottom left scuff is real but it does not look anything as bad as it does in that picture -- might have come about while phone was sliding around under my bed or something, though it looks more like 'pocket-wear' rather than a 1-time-accident. Perhaps most of if could have been avoided by having a raised-edge case.

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)