Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,298 Members 42,906 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

If i remove tha plastic protector[not about warranty]

Tip us?

omaro
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default If i remove tha plastic protector[not about warranty]

Is the glass completely scratch ressistant? Is it pure glass or is it groilla glass?

I honestly dont understand why u wpuld remove it? Its like a perfectly fit protector u never bought :P

devstaff
Old
(Last edited by devstaff; 14th July 2014 at 01:35 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2139

DONATE TO ME
Hello Omaro,
Z1 Compact uses Dragontrail glass which is as strong as gorilla glass. The glas does however not come with a oleophobic coating

As an answer to your first question there's no glass which is 100% scratchproof. Minerals can scratch pretty much any types of glass, and by minerals I'm talking about sand, stones etc etc.

The reason why most people wants to remove the preinstalled antishatterfilm is due to that it collects dust, fingerprints and its very easy to scratch. It's not recommended to remove it if you're not planning to apply a oleophobic coating on top of the glass.

Hope my answer cleared any doubts,
DevStaff

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk
My devices:
  • Xperia X8 ➜ CM7 ➜ nAa kernel
  • Xperia Ray ➜ CM10.1 ➜ nAa 3.4 kernel
  • Xperia U ➜ CM10.1 ➜ Unknown kernel
  • Xperia Arc S ➜ CM10.2 ➜ nAa 3.4 kernel
  • Nexus 7 ➜ AOKP ➜ M-Kernel
  • Xperia C ➜ Stock ➜ Stock kernel
  • Xperia Z1 Compact ➜ Stock ➜ Stock Kernel
Socialize with me:
Add me on Facebook.
Subscribe to my youtube channel.
If you like my work please consider donating.

ponchofiesta
Old
Thanks Meter 32
The surface of the glass under the plastic film is not as smooth as other phone screens. I think this is because it is not intended to be used without a film above it.

I removed Sonys plastic film and added Orzly Tempered Glass Screen Protector (you can use any other tampered glass protector). nearly perfect for my and much more scratch resistant than with the plastic film.
History: Philips Savvy -> Trium Galaxy -> Siemens S25 -> Ericsson t68 -> Nokia 6230 -> SE w810i -> SE w890i -> iPhone 8GB -> Nokia N79 -> HTC Touch Diamond2 -> HTC Legend -> HTC Desire S -> HTC One S -> Sony Xperia Z1 Compact

devstaff
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2139

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponchofiesta View Post
The surface of the glass under the plastic film is not as smooth as other phone screens. I think this is because it is not intended to be used without a film above it.

I removed Sonys plastic film and added Orzly Tempered Glass Screen Protector (you can use any other tampered glass protector). nearly perfect for my and much more scratch resistant than with the plastic film.
The reason because it does not feel as smooth is because of that there's no olephobic coating on top of the glass. You need to apply one yourself using a liquid solution, and it'll feel like on any other phone.
My devices:
  • Xperia X8 ➜ CM7 ➜ nAa kernel
  • Xperia Ray ➜ CM10.1 ➜ nAa 3.4 kernel
  • Xperia U ➜ CM10.1 ➜ Unknown kernel
  • Xperia Arc S ➜ CM10.2 ➜ nAa 3.4 kernel
  • Nexus 7 ➜ AOKP ➜ M-Kernel
  • Xperia C ➜ Stock ➜ Stock kernel
  • Xperia Z1 Compact ➜ Stock ➜ Stock Kernel
Socialize with me:
Add me on Facebook.
Subscribe to my youtube channel.
If you like my work please consider donating.

omaro
Old
(Last edited by omaro; 14th July 2014 at 06:46 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
thanks guys^

but does this olephobic coating u speak of wear off after time?

EDIT: btw I cant see any anti shatter film on the backside of my phone. Shouldnt there be on there as well?

ty in advance.

btw great phone.

steanne
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by omaro View Post
...btw I cant see any anti shatter film on the backside of my phone. Shouldnt there be on there as well?
nope. the z1c has a plastic black. no shatter-protection necessary, but causes the flashbleed problem. some people have replaced theirs with the glass back from the z1f, though.

patoberli
Old
Thanks Meter 20
I don't have any screen protector and am very happy with that. No need to put some ugly stuff on the front glass.

omaro
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by steanne View Post
nope. the z1c has a plastic black. no shatter-protection necessary, but causes the flashbleed problem. some people have replaced theirs with the glass back from the z1f, though.
but wont that cause som nasty scratches over time?

My s4 never got scratshes and i didnt use protecotrs. So a glass back would be a neat feature.

Schwinni
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by patoberli View Post
I don't have any screen protector and am very happy with that. No need to put some ugly stuff on the front glass.
Dito.

Regarding the plastic back cover:
Quote:
Originally Posted by omaro View Post
but wont that cause som nasty scratches over time?
Yes, that will happen.

Quote:
So a glass back would be a neat feature.
That's why many people (including me) replaced their back cover with the one made of glass from the Japanese Z1f:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2710603