Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,814,238 Members 48,280 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Differences in stock roms?

Tip us?

Kodeen
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default Differences in stock roms?

So I finally got my Z1C, and it is on 1279-6212, which is Taiwan Generic (I think, box has country code ZT). However, there doesn't appear to be any -6212 stock roms uploaded to the forum.

It looks like from reading various threads that it doesn't really matter which region's stock rom you flash, so with that in mind, are there any major differences between the versions? Any particular region's rom that stands out as a good one?

GethPrime
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,176

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodeen View Post
So I finally got my Z1C, and it is on 1279-6212, which is Taiwan Generic (I think, box has country code ZT). However, there doesn't appear to be any -6212 stock roms uploaded to the forum.

It looks like from reading various threads that it doesn't really matter which region's stock rom you flash, so with that in mind, are there any major differences between the versions? Any particular region's rom that stands out as a good one?
Hello @Kodeen;,
To clear up your doubts, you can flash firmwares from all regions on your device, like Nordic or DE.

There are no major differences, maybe the amount of applications and updates Schedule but that's usually it. The versions with less bloat is the generic versions.

Hope it cleared up any doubts,
DevStaff
My devices:
  • Xperia X8 ➜ CM7 ➜ nAa kernel
  • Xperia Ray ➜ CM10.1 ➜ nAa 3.4 kernel
  • Xperia U ➜ CM10.1 ➜ Unknown kernel
  • Xperia Arc S ➜ CM10.2 ➜ nAa 3.4 kernel
  • Nexus 7 ➜ AOKP ➜ M-Kernel
  • Xperia C ➜ Stock ➜ Stock kernel
  • Xperia Z1 Compact ➜ Stock ➜ Stock Kernel
Socialize with me:
Add me on Facebook.
Subscribe to my youtube channel.
If you like my work please consider donating.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GethPrime For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

codified
Old
Thanks Meter 39
There can be some small cosmetic differences e.g for some regions the indicator will say 4G, in other regions it says LTE (it's the same thing). Also some carrier versions will come with more bloatware/preinstalled apps - you can avoid this by going for an unbranded version
The Following User Says Thank You to codified For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Davka
Old
Thanks Meter 5
And there is a possibility that default MMS size (I havan't found a way to change it) is set specific for a country.
In Poland standard value is 300KB and I have never had problems with MMSes on UK and DE ROMs. Now I'm on RU ROM and it looks like default MMS size is set to higher value so I can't send 80% of MMS messages because images are recompressed to sizes greater than 300KB.

I'll confirm this soon when I switch to DE ROM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Davka For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rzlatic
Old
Thanks Meter 165
just to add it up,
there are a few 108 firmwares around right now.

Code:
D5503_14.4.A.0.108_EURO.ftf                 - 1037 MB
D5503_14.4.A.0.108_Generic_DE_1279-6978.ftf - 1037 MB
D5503_14.4.A.0.108_Generic_UK_1279-4053.ftf -  964 MB
D5503_14.4.A.0.108_RU.ftf                   -  964 MB
the main difference inside .ftf files is file that contain the system (system.sin), which unpacked come in two sizes: 1.45 GB (UK & RU versions) and 1.56 GB (EURO & DE versions). it could be due to preinstalled system apps (i'm not able to flash them and compare right now).
Z1C running cyanogenmod.