Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,470 Members 40,586 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Google Cardboard magnet

Tip us?

yerffej
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Google Cardboard magnet

[Stock rom, 4.4.4]
I got myself a little google cardboard kit, and everything is working fine except for the magnet switch. Is there a setting I need to turn on? I've looked through the settings app for compass settings or anything related to the magnetometer and I couldn't find anything. Anything I can try? Does the Z1 Compact have a magnetometer?

bigdfmartin
Old
Thanks Meter 10
I found that the magnetic button will work if you turn the phone upside down (power and volume buttons down). This will render the startup menu and some of the apps upside down. I wrote to Unofficial Cardboard about this, and they are sending me a stronger magnet to try (in its original position on the left). Alternatively, you can reconstruct the box with the magnet on the right side, so you can mount the phone properly, right side up.

dave

yerffej
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdfmartin View Post
I found that the magnetic button will work if you turn the phone upside down
This worked. Thanks!

seriousdav
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdfmartin View Post
I found that the magnetic button will work if you turn the phone upside down (power and volume buttons down). This will render the startup menu and some of the apps upside down. I wrote to Unofficial Cardboard about this, and they are sending me a stronger magnet to try (in its original position on the left). Alternatively, you can reconstruct the box with the magnet on the right side, so you can mount the phone properly, right side up.

dave
Hi
when you say unofficial, which one did you buy ? I bought one on dx.com (10$) and unfortunately, I have the same issue with my Z1 compact, the magnet is without any effect. I try the reverse side but it's the same. Let us know if stronger magnet works any better.

bigdfmartin
Old
Thanks Meter 10
https://www.unofficialcardboard.com/

They told me they would send me a stronger magnet, but I still haven't received it.

dave