FORUMS

Battery Life Guide Helps You Get More out of Your Device

Battery life is a primary concern when it comes to smartphones these days, and … more

Vinsic Doosl FM Transmitter Review – Accessory Review

A lot of vehicles come with stereos featuring Bluetooth connectivity. This … more

Nexus & Cookies: A More Focused Direction?

It is that time of the year again, and we are approaching the day where Android fans all over … more

LG G4 US Carrier Release Dates

The LG G4 was announced on April 29th with its Snapdragon 808 SoC, a welcomed change from its higher-end … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

If i remove tha plastic protector[not about warranty]

13th July 2014, 09:28 PM |#1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Is the glass completely scratch ressistant? Is it pure glass or is it groilla glass?

I honestly dont understand why u wpuld remove it? Its like a perfectly fit protector u never bought :P
 
 
14th July 2014, 01:12 AM |#2  
GethPrime's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 2,323
 
More
Hello Omaro,
Z1 Compact uses Dragontrail glass which is as strong as gorilla glass. The glas does however not come with a oleophobic coating

As an answer to your first question there's no glass which is 100% scratchproof. Minerals can scratch pretty much any types of glass, and by minerals I'm talking about sand, stones etc etc.

The reason why most people wants to remove the preinstalled antishatterfilm is due to that it collects dust, fingerprints and its very easy to scratch. It's not recommended to remove it if you're not planning to apply a oleophobic coating on top of the glass.

Hope my answer cleared any doubts,
DevStaff

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk
Last edited by GethPrime; 14th July 2014 at 01:35 AM.
14th July 2014, 11:26 AM |#3  
ponchofiesta's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Berlin
Thanks Meter: 47
 
More
The surface of the glass under the plastic film is not as smooth as other phone screens. I think this is because it is not intended to be used without a film above it.

I removed Sonys plastic film and added Orzly Tempered Glass Screen Protector (you can use any other tampered glass protector). nearly perfect for my and much more scratch resistant than with the plastic film.
14th July 2014, 12:49 PM |#4  
GethPrime's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 2,323
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponchofiesta

The surface of the glass under the plastic film is not as smooth as other phone screens. I think this is because it is not intended to be used without a film above it.

I removed Sonys plastic film and added Orzly Tempered Glass Screen Protector (you can use any other tampered glass protector). nearly perfect for my and much more scratch resistant than with the plastic film.

The reason because it does not feel as smooth is because of that there's no olephobic coating on top of the glass. You need to apply one yourself using a liquid solution, and it'll feel like on any other phone.
14th July 2014, 06:39 PM |#5  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
thanks guys^

but does this olephobic coating u speak of wear off after time?


EDIT: btw I cant see any anti shatter film on the backside of my phone. Shouldnt there be on there as well?



ty in advance.


btw great phone.
Last edited by omaro; 14th July 2014 at 06:46 PM.
15th July 2014, 02:47 AM |#6  
Member
Flag Philadelphia
Thanks Meter: 18
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by omaro

...btw I cant see any anti shatter film on the backside of my phone. Shouldnt there be on there as well?

nope. the z1c has a plastic black. no shatter-protection necessary, but causes the flashbleed problem. some people have replaced theirs with the glass back from the z1f, though.
15th July 2014, 09:23 AM |#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 20
 
More
I don't have any screen protector and am very happy with that. No need to put some ugly stuff on the front glass.
16th July 2014, 10:34 AM |#8  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by steanne

nope. the z1c has a plastic black. no shatter-protection necessary, but causes the flashbleed problem. some people have replaced theirs with the glass back from the z1f, though.

but wont that cause som nasty scratches over time?

My s4 never got scratshes and i didnt use protecotrs. So a glass back would be a neat feature.
16th July 2014, 11:24 AM |#9  
Member
Thanks Meter: 10
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by patoberli

I don't have any screen protector and am very happy with that. No need to put some ugly stuff on the front glass.

Dito.

Regarding the plastic back cover:
Quote:
Originally Posted by omaro

but wont that cause som nasty scratches over time?

Yes, that will happen.

Quote:

So a glass back would be a neat feature.

That's why many people (including me) replaced their back cover with the one made of glass from the Japanese Z1f:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2710603
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Xperia Z1 Compact Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank