Android 5.1 Possibly Coming February 2015

Google released Android 5.0 just over a month ago, and since then Lollipop has been trying to … more

Double Tap to Wake on the Nexus 6 Without Root

A few weeks ago, we featured an app which allowed the Nexus 6 to regain the double tap to wake … more

Make Your Own Heat Sink for the LG Optimus 4X HD

Its not a rare occurrence that performing a resource heavy task on your Android device (e.g. … more

Learn How to Create an Old School Dialer

XDA is not only a great source for custom ROMs, kernels, and various modifications for numerous … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] What ROMs can I flash on locked bootloader?

OP superste2201

17th August 2014, 10:21 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 4

85 posts
Evening XDA,

I have recently got this phone but unfortunately it has a locked bootloader.

Are there any ROMs I can install on locked bootloader? E.g. stock based.

How can I tell if a ROM is safe to flash?
17th August 2014, 10:28 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 16

66 posts
I'm pretty sure that you can only flash ROMS through a custom recovery (CWM, TWRP) and to be able to get in your recovery you need boot loader unlocked. Unlocking it and getting a custom recovery isn't hard though and it comes with bonuses like making nandroids😊. And regarding the safety of ROMs I recommend downloading from places that look official. Just Google what ROMs there are for your phone and choose what sounds best (cyanogenmod is pretty good&#128540

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app
17th August 2014, 10:43 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 41

125 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILIVE4HEAD

I'm pretty sure that you can only flash ROMS through a custom recovery (CWM, TWRP) and to be able to get in your recovery you need boot loader unlocked. Unlocking it and getting a custom recovery isn't hard though and it comes with bonuses like making nandroids😊. And regarding the safety of ROMs I recommend downloading from places that look official. Just Google what ROMs there are for your phone and choose what sounds best (cyanogenmod is pretty good&#128540

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

That's wrong, you don't need to unlock bootloader in order to install a custom recovery. Rooting the phone is enough. Then the correct install file from Nut's database and you have more than one recovery.

"Z1C-lockeddualrecovery2.7.XXX-BETA.installer.zip (XX.XXMB)" would be your choice after rooting. More information HERE.
17th August 2014, 11:11 PM   |  #4  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 4

85 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by einfachgaer

That's wrong, you don't need to unlock bootloader in order to install a custom recovery. Rooting the phone is enough. Then the correct install file from Nut's database and you have more than one recovery.

"Z1C-lockeddualrecovery2.7.XXX-BETA.installer.zip (XX.XXMB)" would be your choice after rooting. More information HERE.

This is correct. I have already rooted and installed recovery on my locked bootloader device.

I cannot unlock my bootloader, unfortunately I get "Bootloader unlock allowed: no"
Last edited by superste2201; 17th August 2014 at 11:17 PM.
17th August 2014, 11:26 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 41

125 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by superste2201

This is correct. I have already rooted and installed recovery on my locked bootloader device.

I cannot unlock my bootloader, unfortunately I get "Bootloader unlock allowed: no"

To answer you previous question. You can flash any ROM that uses the stock kernel to run. Most of them are labeled stock based or based on stock firmware XYZ.

And as long as you have a recovery and made a backup beforehand, almost every ROM is safe to flash.

Sent from my D5503 using XDA Free mobile app
18th August 2014, 08:53 AM   |  #6  
Flag Göteborg
Thanks Meter: 431

1,051 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by einfachgaer

To answer you previous question. You can flash any ROM that uses the stock kernel to run. Most of them are labeled stock based or based on stock firmware XYZ.

And as long as you have a recovery and made a backup beforehand, almost every ROM is safe to flash.

Sent from my D5503 using XDA Free mobile app

Can you set CWM to warn when a ROM tries to write boot image? Cause that would be ideal for people with locked bootloaders.
18th August 2014, 10:20 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 93

396 posts
You can just check if there's a boot.img in the zip file I guess. Anyway, it'll simply fail and you have to restore an official rom, no big deal. There aren't many stock based roms anyway.
18th August 2014, 09:20 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 9

924 posts
Does candyrom or the amg rom work with a locked bootloader?
19th August 2014, 09:04 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 59

285 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325i.

Does candyrom or the amg rom work with a locked bootloader?

AMG yes.
Instructions are on ROM page.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread