Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,233 Members 50,523 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] What ROMs can I flash on locked bootloader?

Tip us?

superste2201
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default [Q] What ROMs can I flash on locked bootloader?

Evening XDA,

I have recently got this phone but unfortunately it has a locked bootloader.

Are there any ROMs I can install on locked bootloader? E.g. stock based.

How can I tell if a ROM is safe to flash?

ILIVE4HEAD
Old
Thanks Meter 15
I'm pretty sure that you can only flash ROMS through a custom recovery (CWM, TWRP) and to be able to get in your recovery you need boot loader unlocked. Unlocking it and getting a custom recovery isn't hard though and it comes with bonuses like making nandroids😊. And regarding the safety of ROMs I recommend downloading from places that look official. Just Google what ROMs there are for your phone and choose what sounds best (cyanogenmod is pretty good&#128540

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

einfachgaer
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILIVE4HEAD View Post
I'm pretty sure that you can only flash ROMS through a custom recovery (CWM, TWRP) and to be able to get in your recovery you need boot loader unlocked. Unlocking it and getting a custom recovery isn't hard though and it comes with bonuses like making nandroids😊. And regarding the safety of ROMs I recommend downloading from places that look official. Just Google what ROMs there are for your phone and choose what sounds best (cyanogenmod is pretty good&#128540

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app
That's wrong, you don't need to unlock bootloader in order to install a custom recovery. Rooting the phone is enough. Then the correct install file from Nut's database and you have more than one recovery.

"Z1C-lockeddualrecovery2.7.XXX-BETA.installer.zip (XX.XXMB)" would be your choice after rooting. More information HERE.

superste2201
Old
(Last edited by superste2201; 17th August 2014 at 10:17 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by einfachgaer View Post
That's wrong, you don't need to unlock bootloader in order to install a custom recovery. Rooting the phone is enough. Then the correct install file from Nut's database and you have more than one recovery.

"Z1C-lockeddualrecovery2.7.XXX-BETA.installer.zip (XX.XXMB)" would be your choice after rooting. More information HERE.
This is correct. I have already rooted and installed recovery on my locked bootloader device.

I cannot unlock my bootloader, unfortunately I get "Bootloader unlock allowed: no"

einfachgaer
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by superste2201 View Post
This is correct. I have already rooted and installed recovery on my locked bootloader device.

I cannot unlock my bootloader, unfortunately I get "Bootloader unlock allowed: no"
To answer you previous question. You can flash any ROM that uses the stock kernel to run. Most of them are labeled stock based or based on stock firmware XYZ.

And as long as you have a recovery and made a backup beforehand, almost every ROM is safe to flash.

Sent from my D5503 using XDA Free mobile app

Rekoil
Old
Thanks Meter 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by einfachgaer View Post
To answer you previous question. You can flash any ROM that uses the stock kernel to run. Most of them are labeled stock based or based on stock firmware XYZ.

And as long as you have a recovery and made a backup beforehand, almost every ROM is safe to flash.

Sent from my D5503 using XDA Free mobile app
Can you set CWM to warn when a ROM tries to write boot image? Cause that would be ideal for people with locked bootloaders.
sony xperia z1 compact d5503 lime green

previous phones
sony xperia z1 c6903 metallic purple - screen cracked, broken digitizer
sony xperia z c6603 royal purple - faulty backplate, returned
samsung galaxy s3 lte (gt-i9305n) marble white - sold... no more samsungs for me
htc one x glacier white - dead :'(
apple iphone 4s white - sold

Iruwen
Old
Thanks Meter 60
You can just check if there's a boot.img in the zip file I guess. Anyway, it'll simply fail and you have to restore an official rom, no big deal. There aren't many stock based roms anyway.

325i.
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Does candyrom or the amg rom work with a locked bootloader?

Schlengge
Old
Thanks Meter 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325i. View Post
Does candyrom or the amg rom work with a locked bootloader?
AMG yes.
Instructions are on ROM page.