Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,679 Members 41,186 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Having trouble with Bluetooth connectivity and autoplaying music

Tip us?

festizzio
Old
(Last edited by festizzio; 3rd September 2014 at 08:44 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Default [Q] Having trouble with Bluetooth connectivity and autoplaying music

So the issue is very weird and I can't think of a good explanation for it. Occasionally, when my bluetooth automatically connects to my car stereo, Walkman will start automatically and start playing music. Other times, it connects to bluetooth automatically, but the music never turns on. I see a Walkman Bluetooth service in the task manager, but it still won't connect. Sometimes it will connect when I turn the car stereo back on after it was previously connected, other times it won't work. Sometimes I will kill the Walkman service entirely and it will turn on automatically, other times it won't. When it doesn't turn on automatically, I can always start it up with no problem manually, but as you can guess while driving this isn't a great idea.

Has anybody experienced this or know what might be wrong? I haven't had this issue on any previous phone; they always started the music automatically. I'm using the latest build of SlimKit, but this has happened with previous ROMs.

Didgesteve
Old
(Last edited by Didgesteve; 4th September 2014 at 01:00 PM.)
Thanks Meter 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by festizzio View Post
So the issue is very weird and I can't think of a good explanation for it. Occasionally, when my bluetooth automatically connects to my car stereo, Walkman will start automatically and start playing music. Other times, it connects to bluetooth automatically, but the music never turns on. I see a Walkman Bluetooth service in the task manager, but it still won't connect. Sometimes it will connect when I turn the car stereo back on after it was previously connected, other times it won't work. Sometimes I will kill the Walkman service entirely and it will turn on automatically, other times it won't. When it doesn't turn on automatically, I can always start it up with no problem manually, but as you can guess while driving this isn't a great idea.

Has anybody experienced this or know what might be wrong? I haven't had this issue on any previous phone; they always started the music automatically. I'm using the latest build of SlimKit, but this has happened with previous ROMs.
I have a Highline stereo in my car and have similar problems with sometimes failing on first connect. As I have never had this issue with any other of my Bluetooth devices I put it down to the car stereo rather than the phone.

There is a bluetooth config file that needs to match up with what the car stereo is expecting, which would explain why it works on some roms and not on others. If you find a rom that it works on, copy and paste it into a rom where it doesn't .
I used to have to do that with my galaxyS2 to get it to talk to the car. I believe its in system/etc/bluetooth main.conf or audio.conf

Also, I'm not sure the Walkman app is so good and might be the source of the problem. I have noticed that it struggles to play mix albums and can be a bit flakey if it doesn't have a working internet connection when you first turn it on.

Poweramp has a 'resume on Bluetooth' option and plays mixes seamlessly, always starting to play as soon as there is a connection.
This probably wasn't the answer you wanted

EDIT: Lots of people have complained about 'Thow' and how useless it is, and how it stops a device connecting sometimes, try freezing the throw app with Titanium, might be the culprit.
Sony Z1 compact
4.4.4 Kit Slim Evo 8.1 Black
Ext SD: 64Gb
The Following User Says Thank You to Didgesteve For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

festizzio
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Thanks for your input! I tried using Power Amp to see if there was any difference, and without opening it at all, it connected to Bluetooth immediately. This looks like a good sign.

I will also try freezing Throw and using Walkman, as I would like a free option as well. Thanks so much!

Didgesteve
Old
Thanks Meter 376
I am interested to know, did freezing 'throw' fix your problem?
Sony Z1 compact
4.4.4 Kit Slim Evo 8.1 Black
Ext SD: 64Gb
The Following User Says Thank You to Didgesteve For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

festizzio
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Tried Power Amp with the start on Bluetooth option checked, same thing started happening. I don't have the Pro Titanium Backup, so I just backed it up first then un-installed it. I'll be able to test if it worked in a little while, and will post back here!

festizzio
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
So I was able to uninstall Throw and started using Google Play music, but it still doesn't autoplay sometimes. It seems more consistent, although that could be a placebo effect since I hadn't tested it a whole lot before. I can't think of what else might be wrong, except maybe it's my stereo.