FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Z1 Compact 5.1.1: Replaced KingRoot with SuperSU, then endless Sony Logos & Reboots

16 posts
Thanks Meter: 2

By packetfire, Junior Member on 28th November 2015, 05:48 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Got a pair of refurb Z1c D5503s, and updated both to 14.16.A.1.216-R3D (Android 5.1.1) using the Sony Companion.
Both phones show "bootloader unlocked", so I did a successful root of one of the phones, using KingRoot.
Then I attempted (and failed) to use Replace_Kinguser_with_SuperSU v 1.2 , which grabbed its own update to 2.4 when started.

While the SuperSU claimed to have replaced Kinguser sucessfully, upon reboot, the phone began an endless loop of reboots, never making it past the Sony Logo.

I was able to stumble through recovering from the TA partition using flashtool, so now I am back where I started, with Sony stock 14.6.A.1.216

The tutorials I can find are very outdated versus the software packages themselves. For example, I still have no idea where the "/drivers" directory might be for flashtool, or why the new version hides the directory in ".flashtool".

But I'd like to root the phone, so as to not just disable, but to remove the bloatware from the minimal internal memory, and I'd also like to root the phone to be able to take full advantage of the micro-SD card for data and apps.

But what to replace Kingroot Kinguser with once it is rooted, and/or how to do so without crashing the phone on reboot so badly?

Sorry to be so clueless... these "new" phones are our (myself and my wife's) upgrade from a pair of Samsung Exhibit IIs, just to show you how out-of-date I am on rooting phones. (^.^)

Thanks!

28th November 2015, 09:34 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1,451

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by packetfire

Got a pair of refurb Z1c D5503s, and updated both to 14.16.A.1.216-R3D (Android 5.1.1) using the Sony Companion.
Both phones show "bootloader unlocked", so I did a successful root of one of the phones, using KingRoot.
Then I attempted (and failed) to use Replace_Kinguser_with_SuperSU v 1.2 , which grabbed its own update to 2.4 when started.

While the SuperSU claimed to have replaced Kinguser sucessfully, upon reboot, the phone began an endless loop of reboots, never making it past the Sony Logo.

I was able to stumble through recovering from the TA partition using flashtool, so now I am back where I started, with Sony stock 14.6.A.1.216

The tutorials I can find are very outdated versus the software packages themselves. For example, I still have no idea where the "/drivers" directory might be for flashtool, or why the new version hides the directory in ".flashtool".

But I'd like to root the phone, so as to not just disable, but to remove the bloatware from the minimal internal memory, and I'd also like to root the phone to be able to take full advantage of the micro-SD card for data and apps.

But what to replace Kingroot Kinguser with once it is rooted, and/or how to do so without crashing the phone on reboot so badly?

Sorry to be so clueless... these "new" phones are our (myself and my wife's) upgrade from a pair of Samsung Exhibit IIs, just to show you how out-of-date I am on rooting phones. (^.^)

Thanks!

Use SupetsuMe from Playstore.

Best regards,
Coempi
29th November 2015, 01:53 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 535

More
Quote:

Thanks!

Did the suggestion work for you?
29th November 2015, 08:05 AM |#4  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by levone1

Did the suggestion work for you?

In a way, yes, but now I have a phone without the KingRoot bloatware/possible malware, but where the USB connection to my PC cycles between "up" and "down" more than once every minute, leaving me thinking that the Super SUme program itself is the source of the problem for my phone.

I have no idea how to debug this issue, other than to start all over again, and verify that the problem only shows up after the Super SUme scripts run.

This is starting to be a lot of work for a phone.
29th November 2015, 12:58 PM |#5  

More
Quote:

In a way, yes, but now I have a phone without the KingRoot bloatware/possible malware, but where the USB connection to my PC cycles between "up" and "down" more than once every minute, leaving me thinking that the Super SUme program itself is the source of the problem for my phone.

I have no idea how to debug this issue, other than to start all over again, and verify that the problem only shows up after the Super SUme scripts run.

This is starting to be a lot of work for a phone.

Flashtool is the way to go. Did you figure out the directories yet? There is a /Flashtool folder and a /.flashtool folder. The drivers are in /Flashtool. With Ft working, you can get it done easier, but it will take a little work.
29th November 2015, 01:54 PM |#6  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:

Flashtool is the way to go. Did you figure out the directories yet? There is a /Flashtool folder and a /.flashtool folder. The drivers are in /Flashtool. With Ft working, you can get it done easier, but it will take a little work.

Flashtool is no problem, but I was unable to find an up-to-date guide on using it, and some of the instructions are no longer applicable to the current version, so I did not want to brick the phone making a classic noobie mistake.

I will start over after I make contact with the Super SUme fellow, as perhaps he has a suggestion that can help.
29th November 2015, 02:23 PM |#7  

More
Quote:

Flashtool is no problem, but I was unable to find an up-to-date guide on using it, and some of the instructions are no longer applicable to the current version, so I did not want to brick the phone making a classic noobie mistake.

I will start over after I make contact with the Super SUme fellow, as perhaps he has a suggestion that can help.

K... Let me know if you want links, etc. I don't mind.
29th November 2015, 11:55 PM |#8  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:

K... Let me know if you want links, etc. I don't mind.

Thanks for your kindness... my problem is clearly that I do not know how to install Super-SU and remove Kingroot manually, and the Super-SUme script seems to do some sort of damage to phone-side USB functionality in the specific case of a Sony Z1 compact running Android 5.1.1 before being rooted. (Saying this clearly so the next guy can find this with a search)

So, is there a set of instructions that allows one to do by hand what is done by Super-SUme? I'm sorry to be so clueless, but it has been several years since I unlocked a pair of phones for my wife and I, and in that time, Android has gone from 3.x to 5.x.

Kingroot can be copied over to the root directory of the 5.1.1 phone, and it runs without problem, so then the problem may be a result of the work done by the Kingroot developers to maintain a toehold on each smartphone their tools root.

=-=-=-= Warning, Opinion Follows, Use At Your Own Risk =-=-=-=-=

There is a disturbing/amusing post here on xda from the Kingroot guys that describes the various tools that remove their software as "malware". The loss of perspective that the use of such a term evinces is troubling. Or maybe revealing of the actual motivation of the Kingroot guys. [I dunno, I'm so old-skool, I designed computers that used "ECL", and "bit-slice ALUs", and none of them was smaller than three refrigerators, not counting optional STC vacuum-column 6250bpi reel-to-reel tape drives. Shoot, that was so long ago, we did not even buy any "ones", we'd have a guy come in 3 days a week to cut zeros in half, and bang them flat to hand-craft the "ones" for us so we we'd have both ones and zeroes! (^.^) ]

One would expect that the Kingroot fellows, being in the unlocking biz, would figure out for themselves that if they made the same error as the phone vendors, and made anything extraneous "irremovable", that they would need a stopwatch to measure they very short time lag before someone came out with a countermeasure to remove the extraneous stuff they installed when unlocking to allow the removal of vendor extraneous stuff. If their "purify" tool is any good, people will seek it out and use it, and some will pay for a "pro" version. If it is not any good, people will remove it, no matter how they try to make it impossible to do so.

The fact that I paid $3.99 to the Super-SUme guy to sell me code to remove Kingroot and Purify easily should be a lesson to the Kingroot guys. The fact that the tool failed to do the job properly and screwed up my phone is beside the point. The point here is that the Kingroot guys have not built confidence in their integrity, and the fact that they tried to "bundle" extraneous irremovable stuff with their root exploit and made their root exploit hard to remove/replace positions THEIR OWN product as the "Malware" and the Super-SUme product as "Malware Removal".

I don't care if the download is 100 Gig, if he Kingroot guys distributed a package that did not have to "phone home", and could be installed on a phone with no SIM card installed, and no WiFi, and if the resulting rooted system did not try to "phone home to Shenzhen", and could be easily modified as the user saw fit, including removing the whole mess and replacing it with Super-SU, I don't think anyone would have any problem with paying the $3.99 (or even $9.99!) to the Kingroot guys directly, rather than to Google Play Store, so that the Super-SUme guy gets $1 or whatever.

But clearly, there are some who think that money is not what the Kingroot guys are after. And that's the scary part.
30th November 2015, 02:18 AM |#9  

More
Quote:

So, is there a set of instructions that allows one to do by hand what is done by Super-SUme?

Here is my thread on doing it yourself from scratch - http://forum.xda-developers.com/sony...-1-ub-t3203247 I'm not an expert, so I have confidence to say that it is not hard to do. The biggest part is downloading all of the files. I can also guarantee it working on the last 3 fw updates, since I've done it. It is a bit of work and time, though. If you have working adb and Ft, you're good to go.
The Following User Says Thank You to levone1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift levone1 Ad-Free
1st December 2015, 10:56 PM |#10  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:

Here is my thread on doing it yourself from scratch - http://forum.xda-developers.com/sony...-1-ub-t3203247

Danke! Worked great, unlike the $3.99 app which if removed/refunded and then reinstalled to verify a good install, no longer allows one to return and refund the purchase!

Anyway, now I am using the rooted status of the phones to remove unwanted bloatware by hand.

THANKS!!!
2nd December 2015, 12:55 AM |#11  

More
Quote:

Danke! Worked great, unlike the $3.99 app which if removed/refunded and then reinstalled to verify a good install, no longer allows one to return and refund the purchase!

Anyway, now I am using the rooted status of the phones to remove unwanted bloatware by hand.

THANKS!!!

No problem. Did you go ahead and flash NUT's dual recovery? Recommended to accompany this method, since by default you won't have busybox or r/w access.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)