OP CoolDevelopment

16th July 2014, 01:35 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Cologne
Thanks Meter: 1,622

945 posts
Donate to Me
More
This is a simple .zip file you can flash on any amami, which uses a ramdisk like the combinedrootfs from Cyanogenmod 11. Your device needs to have a f2fs-compatible kernel, for example this one.
This zip is only modifying your current ramdisk. It will delete the normal fstab and add a binary, which detects if your system, data and cache partition are formatted with f2fs and create a new fstab every boot. It will also flash a twrp recovery, which is modified to work with f2fs.

Ok but... what is f2fs?
It is a new file system, which is especially designed for flash-based storages, like our phones. It will give you much better reading and writing speed.

Installation:
1. Be sure, that you have a f2fs-compatible kernel and your ramdisk's structure is similar to Cyanogenmod's one. If you are on any aosp-based rom, the ramdisk will be compatible anyway.
2. Flash the .zip file from a custom recovery
3. Reboot recovery
4. Now go to advanced wipe and you can change the file systems of system, data and cache to f2fs.
Some more information:
If you convert cache to f2fs:
->No data will be lost
If you convert data to f2fs:
->Your whole internal storage will be wiped. backup your data before you decide to do that!
If you convert system to f2fs
->You need to flash your rom again. You need to modify the updater script of your rom before that like this

OK. I formatted data with f2fs, but want to flash a new rom. What to do?
You need to flash a kernel with f2fs and this zip, no need for any wipes

Download:
http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23578570567713678

For Developers:
You can include this in your rom like this: https://gist.github.com/CoolDevelopm...2a1e075da48151

XDA:DevDB Information
F2FS for amami, Tool/Utility for the Sony Xperia Z1 Compact

Contributors
CoolDevelopment, NovaFusion

Version Information
Current Beta Version: 2.0
Beta Release Date: 2014-07-16

Created 2014-07-16
Last Updated 2014-07-16
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CoolDevelopment For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th July 2014, 03:58 PM   |  #2  
Flag Saint-Petersburg
Thanks Meter: 155

694 posts
More
@CoolDevelopment
So, if I corectly understand this zip will erase all data including internal storage? Am I right? But about if I use nightlies? Will I neen to flash it every time after update?
16th July 2014, 05:51 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 593

1,399 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by da900

this zip will erase all data including internal storage?

It won´t erase your internal storage , I flashed and everthing is there !
The Following User Says Thank You to pvillasuso For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th July 2014, 07:53 PM   |  #4  
Flag Saint-Petersburg

694 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvillasuso

It won´t erase your internal storage , I flashed and everthing is there !

OK. Thanx. But will erase all data, so I need to install all apps again?
16th July 2014, 07:58 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 593

1,399 posts
Quote:

OK. Thanx. But will erase all data, so I need to install all apps again?

Nope , it won´t erase any data, files, apps, etc from your internal o external storage

from the OP :

This zip is only modifying your current ramdisk. It will delete the normal fstab and add a binary, which detects if your data and cache partition are formatted with f2fs and create a new fstab every boot. It will also flash a twrp recovery, which is modified to work with f2fs.
Last edited by pvillasuso; 16th July 2014 at 08:02 PM.
16th July 2014, 07:59 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Cologne

945 posts
Donate to Me
More
It does not erase anything. It makes your current ramdisk compatible with f2fs. If you just flash this notjing changes. But you can convert you cache and data partition to f2fs after flashing the zip with the recovery. If you do that, all your data is lost.
If you have converted your partitions to f2fs and flash a new rom, you need to flash a f2fs-compatible kernel and this again.
The Following User Says Thank You to CoolDevelopment For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th July 2014, 08:29 PM   |  #7  
Flag Saint-Petersburg

694 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolDevelopment

It does not erase anything. It makes your current ramdisk compatible with f2fs. If you just flash this notjing changes. But you can convert you cache and data partition to f2fs after flashing the zip with the recovery. If you do that, all your data is lost.
If you have converted your partitions to f2fs and flash a new rom, you need to flash a f2fs-compatible kernel and this again.

OK. Thanx. I will try. But if I will update the ROM (for example, when using CM nighlies), when there is no need to wipe all data, will I still need to perform all these steps to convert data partion to f2fs? I mean will I need every time restore all data again?
16th July 2014, 11:17 PM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Cologne

945 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

OK. Thanx. I will try. But if I will update the ROM (for example, when using CM nighlies), when there is no need to wipe all data, will I still need to perform all these steps to convert data partion to f2fs? I mean will I need every time restore all data again?

You need to flash a f2fs compatiblr kernel and this zip, no wipes
But if you don't do that your rom will bootloop

Sent from my Xperia Z1 Compact using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to CoolDevelopment For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th July 2014, 11:52 PM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Cologne

945 posts
Donate to Me
More
New version!
I uploaded a new version with /system support and a few fixes.
I also updated the op.

Have fun!
17th July 2014, 06:38 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 27

147 posts
More
I would guess that if you have f2fs you should flash the appropriate kernel only if switch ROMs or if the nightly build brings kernel changes.
If you install kernel with f2fs support and your partition is f2fs formatted, I think your data should be safe even between ROM changes.
Somebody please confirm my assumptions.

I hope oshmoun will have the time to build PAC ROM with oms kernel, built in [emoji12]

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread