NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet Gets Android 5.0.1, OTA Available

The NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet is the latest Android-powered device released by famed GPU … more

FXP Team Delivers Lollipop to Various Xperia Devices!

From all of us here at XDA-Developers, we’d like to wish you Happy Holidays! If … more

Turn Your Camera Into a Live Puzzle Game

The classic sliding puzzle game hasnt changed much, if at all, over the years. Dating all the way … more

Samsung Begins Production of 8-Gigabit RAM Chips

With the release of Android 5.0, our favorite mobile operating system has become 64-bit … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[REQUEST] How to reinstall Stock G2 Browser (On Affliction rom)

OP InFiD3ViL

27th September 2014, 12:46 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 3

22 posts
I am running Affliction (stable) rom and love it. But the only thing I am really missing is the stock G2 (LS980) browser.
Anyone know how I can add it back? I have tried a few different ways but still cannot get it to work. I am pretty sure that Affliction Rom is De-Odexed, so I would need a version and instructions for that.
Thank you!
3rd October 2014, 08:03 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 98

309 posts
Might b wrong section but i have to admit i would like to have this also. Peace bro

Sent from my LG-LS980 using XDA Free mobile app
5th October 2014, 05:05 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 489

754 posts
What do you like about the stock browser? I've been using Chrome since my last phone and don't think I've even launched the stock browser ever.
5th October 2014, 08:56 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 204

352 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket321

What do you like about the stock browser? I've been using Chrome since my last phone and don't think I've even launched the stock browser ever.

That's a valid opinion, but stock is stock and sometimes is better. It is not bloat, so why it was removed? Like the weather widget... I think that developer can't solve some problems so he removed parts of the rom. And thats a no solution....
5th October 2014, 09:30 PM   |  #5  
Flag Lake Villa
Thanks Meter: 592

1,167 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by siggey

That's a valid opinion, but stock is stock and sometimes is better. It is not bloat, so why it was removed? Like the weather widget... I think that developer can't solve some problems so he removed parts of the rom. And thats a no solution....

Solution or not. It is by name his ROM, and this how he wishes it to be. Those that don't can add or remove things.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk
7th October 2014, 12:37 AM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

22 posts
Well I am asking to have it back because I like using the stock browser for.....other things.

This way when I am done using it, I do not have to go and clear out my history like I do with Chrome browser, which will also show on my PC and other Google connected devices, but I don't really want to turn history off due to Google Now and other functions. Mainly though, I just like the lightness of the stock browser. If the dev of Affliction removed it due to compatibility issues, then so be it. Nothing I can do about that.

I was just wondering how I can get it back on there, what APK I will need (Ones I have found are original w/Odex file...no good), and how to make it work. None of the other G2 browsers I have tried work. They all FC.
7th October 2014, 11:23 PM   |  #7  
Flag Cali
Thanks Meter: 209

514 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL

Well I am asking to have it back because I like using the stock browser for.....other things.

This way when I am done using it, I do not have to go and clear out my history like I do with Chrome browser, which will also show on my PC and other Google connected devices, but I don't really want to turn history off due to Google Now and other functions. Mainly though, I just like the lightness of the stock browser. If the dev of Affliction removed it due to compatibility issues, then so be it. Nothing I can do about that.

I was just wondering how I can get it back on there, what APK I will need (Ones I have found are original w/Odex file...no good), and how to make it work. None of the other G2 browsers I have tried work. They all FC.

I am with you! the stock browser is great and has its uses. I needed it too so I ended up using a different ZVD rom that contained the stock browser and was closer to stock in many other areas as well.
8th October 2014, 04:57 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 489

754 posts
If you can find another deodexed rom with the stock browser, you can easily pull the apk out of the zip file (/system/app) and then copy it to your phone and use a root browser (such as rom toolbox) and move it to /system/app on your phone. Then it should show up in your apps list for use.
The Following User Says Thank You to rocket321 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th October 2014, 06:01 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 239

828 posts
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2763290

Post #2 has download links to restore stock browser

The Following User Says Thank You to lurtis For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th October 2014, 03:45 AM   |  #10  
OP Junior Member

22 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtis

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2763290

Post #2 has download links to restore stock browser

lurtis, thanks mate! This did the trick.

But since the method in that thread has a zip file including the framework for a ZVC based rom, I decided it would be best to just extract the deodexed LGBrowser.apk from it to avoid any issues.
Dropped it into system/apps, adjusted permissions, and rebooted. When it came back up it worked great.
Anyone doing this, just make sure that you change to the correct permissions BEFORE the reboot or it will not install. Took me a few times before I figured out why it wouldn't work.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread