Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,354 Members 41,662 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Camera Failed: It hit my device today.

Tip us?

Scolias
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default Camera Failed: It hit my device today.

Welp, I'm sure we're all aware of this bug with the Galaxy S5 camera failed.

Not many Sprint users have reported it but sadly it hit mine today. I'm flashing back to bone stock just to double check.

Just more or less a PSA to those of us with Launch devices.. keep an eye on your camera.

bryanu
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scolias View Post

Not many Sprint users have reported it but sadly it hit mine today. I'm flashing back to bone stock just to double check.

Just more or less a PSA to those of us with Launch devices.. keep an eye on your camera.
I think it's beyond just launch as I've seen people on 4th phone with issue.

It's probably just a flaw but a tough one to find with a low % impact rate. Anything has a margin of error, I just hope this one doesn't get worse later.

Sadly the camera issue is the one reason I have the ERP $5 plan on my sprint account still.
Insurance is useless and overpriced, not to mention a deductible like a car insurance claim but this isn't as bad considering I can walk into any store and swap if issues.

I just hate they raised cost. 2 months ago was only $4 a month and much better, but they keep jacking it up and in many cases it's impossible to get on as they want to claim you can only have the full TEP lol

sporklover
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:

Are you a Sprint insurance customer?

Camera failed error recently hit me as well, however, I am not subscribed to any of Sprints insurance plans. So I've been wondering if I should go to a sprint store or call samsung warranty.

Jweimn
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:

It's a issue not limited to sprint. Verizon users too were having the issue. I believe Verizon did push out a fix for it so maybe sprint will too I would think.

Scolias
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sporklover View Post
Are you a Sprint insurance customer?

Camera failed error recently hit me as well, however, I am not subscribed to any of Sprints insurance plans. So I've been wondering if I should go to a sprint store or call samsung warranty.
Nope. This is the first incident where it'd ever had been remotely useful. I'm just going to go through Samsung.

mmark27
Old
Thanks Meter 181
Please read through this thread here about Camera Failed issues with the Sprint devices:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2763117

TLDR:

You do NOT have to have any Sprint insurance to get a new device at any Sprint store. Some stores may not have stock on hand to hand you a new device and will have to order it. It is a NO charge replacement. If the Sprint store workers give you any flack, it's a known issue, they just need to look it up, then within their menu system, there's a drop down menu that shows them its a no charge replacement.

It should be a NEW device and not refurbished, but I'm not sure there's a guarantee on that anymore. Example, mine came in a box that said refurb, with a refurb warranty card, however in the menu ##786# it was a new device without recondition date.

I had this issue and a reboot restored the camera, however, I exchanged anyways and Sprint took it. I highly recommend that you do the same ASAP.

Scolias
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmark27 View Post
Please read through this thread here about Camera Failed issues with the Sprint devices:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2763117

TLDR:

You do NOT have to have any Sprint insurance to get a new device at any Sprint store. Some stores may not have stock on hand to hand you a new device and will have to order it. It is a NO charge replacement. If the Sprint store workers give you any flack, it's a known issue, they just need to look it up, then within their menu system, there's a drop down menu that shows them its a no charge replacement.

It should be a NEW device and not refurbished, but I'm not sure there's a guarantee on that anymore. Example, mine came in a box that said refurb, with a refurb warranty card, however in the menu ##786# it was a new device without recondition date.

I had this issue and a reboot restored the camera, however, I exchanged anyways and Sprint took it. I highly recommend that you do the same ASAP.
Awesome thanks, I'll just have to make sure i wipe and backup all my data, I'll give it a try Thursday and keep everyone posted.

garwynn
Old
(Last edited by garwynn; 16th July 2014 at 09:05 AM.)
Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 7393

DONATE TO ME
Are you able/willing to get me a log with the camera issues?
And are you able to tell me what it shows on the screen?
Just wondering what might be causing this, the S5 camera has a few new things that I haven't seen in other devices.
(And just curious, we're having fun with this on the AOSP side.)

From the symptoms it almost sounds like a bad firmware upload to the sensors.
But then again this is the first time I've seen the camera HAL be used to update camera firmware as well.
If this is the case I wonder if a factory reset and flash of the stock tarball would fix it..
Thanks!
Contact: Twitter || Google+/Hangouts (Non-Moderator issues only please)
Useful Links: Forum Moderator List || Forum Rules

Please continue to thank and support those who bring these great things to our devices!
(That includes RTs, RCs, RDs/SRDs, FMs/SFMs and the people who maintain the site.)

adjday
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by garwynn View Post
Are you able/willing to get me a log with the camera issues?
And are you able to tell me what it shows on the screen?
Just wondering what might be causing this, the S5 camera has a few new things that I haven't seen in other devices.
(And just curious, we're having fun with this on the AOSP side.)

From the symptoms it almost sounds like a bad firmware upload to the sensors.
But then again this is the first time I've seen the camera HAL be used to update camera firmware as well.
If this is the case I wonder if a factory reset and flash of the stock tarball would fix it..
Thanks!
I have gotten the camera fail once while on stock ND2. I have experienced the camera being non responsive...i.e. not taking a picture or just not even engaging (black screen). But I would have blamed it on dirty screen for the latter. Locking the phone and then turning it back on all ways worked for me!

I'm currently on @rompnit's MORE NE5 (1.0) rom and haven't had a fail, but today, the camera split the screen in half and showed static on one side and a clear image one the other...then the image split in 3 parts (different zooms)!!! I took a couple of picts while it did this and the images came out just fine...? I wasn't using any of Samsung's picture taking tools and I pulled a screen shot (attached), but didnt think to grab a log.....If it happens a gain Ill try to get one.

Hope the images help.

Current:
(Boost) SGS5.....SM-6900p....4.4.2
MORE V1.0 NE5
PRL: 33031

Previous:
(Boost) SGS2....D710....4.4?
Dirty unicorns
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_camera fail_2014-07-21.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	280.4 KB
ID:	2863651   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_camera fail2_2014-07-21.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	2863652  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to adjday For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

XjJeepers
Old
Thanks Meter 2

DONATE TO ME
Im on my 5th S5 with the Camera failed issue....Sprint wants me to pay for the next replacement....the last 4 phones all had the issue as doon as they powered them up and activated the phone...Im trying to get them yo swap it out for a Note 3 but that aint goin so well...ive flashed different Roms and tbe issue is still there...SUX

Sent from my SM-G900P using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 10:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by XjJeepers View Post
Im on my 5th S5 with the Camera failed issue....Sprint wants me to pay for the next replacement....the last 4 phones all had the issue as soon as they powered them up and activated the phone...Im trying to get them to swap it out for a Note 3 but that aint goin so well...ive flashed different Roms and the issue is still there...SUX