FORUMS

Beats Music No Longer Accepting New Accounts

Whenever Apple launches a new product or service, it definitely manages to grab the … more

Do You Do Self-Repairs on Your Devices?

As smartphone designs become more and more complex, self-repairs on devices are also becoming … more

Sony Z4 Slips Out of Top 5 Smartphones in Japan

In a bid to streamline its flagship series which had been losing credibility over the … more

Sprint’s New Unlimited Plan with Ridiculous Capped Speeds

The carrier game in the United States is perpetually rushing forward at … more

[FYI][OT] Sprint Unlimited Roaming in Japan

4,895 posts
Thanks Meter: 8,190

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
I'm going to drop this here since I know it applies for the S5.
Should apply for any Sprint phone with the GSM support though as well.
----------------------------------------------

I've been a big advocate for Sprint's purchase by Softbank, it's why I stayed with them.
I also expected a roaming deal on Softbank's networks to eventually surface. It finally has.
$5/month will get you unlimited roaming (voice,text and data) in Japan now on Softbank's network.

You have to switch to GSM/UMTS after land in Japan though for it to use Softbank, or you'll end up on KDDI and get charged.
No word on if B41 (Derp on 46) LTE is supported, guess I'll have to try it out and see. Hoping that's good to go as well.
This is great news for those who visit Japan often. Wouldn't try it though for a longer period.
Last edited by garwynn; 27th March 2015 at 02:59 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to garwynn For This Useful Post: [ View ]

28th March 2015, 12:20 PM |#2  
Flag LOS ANGELES
Thanks Meter: 1,197

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by garwynn

I'm going to drop this here since I know it applies for the S5.
Should apply for any Sprint phone with the GSM support though as well.
----------------------------------------------

I've been a big advocate for Sprint's purchase by Softbank, it's why I stayed with them.
I also expected a roaming deal on Softbank's networks to eventually surface. It finally has.
$5/month will get you unlimited roaming (voice,text and data) in Japan now on Softbank's network.

You have to switch to GSM/UMTS after land in Japan though for it to use Softbank, or you'll end up on KDDI and get charged.
No word on if B41 (Derp on 46) LTE is supported, guess I'll have to try it out and see. Hoping that's good to go as well.
This is great news for those who visit Japan often. Wouldn't try it though for a longer period.

Great news, I'll be heading to Japan at the end of next month and I was wondering what my options were while there. Thank you for sharing!
28th April 2015, 04:26 PM |#3  
OP Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Flag Chi-town
Thanks Meter: 8,190

Donate to Me
More
I should have more info on this soon.
I know it's running on the 2100 band GSM/UMTS. Just hoping they give access to the LTE bandwidth.
12th May 2015, 02:29 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 26

More
I called Sprint in March to activate the international roaming provision for my S5 and was surprised to hear $5/month unlimited talk/text/data plan in Japan. I traveled to Tokyo in mid-April and enjoyed a solid 3G signal the entire trip. Just a heads up that after landing and switching over to GSM/UMTS at first I wasn't getting any data. I had to update my PRL & profile and after that everything worked great for the entire trip. Meanwhile, my buddy with AT&T ended up renting a mobile hotspot which cost him around $60 for the week.
The Following User Says Thank You to Guzmantis For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th May 2015, 11:17 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 410

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzmantis

I called Sprint in March to activate the international roaming provision for my S5 and was surprised to hear $5/month unlimited talk/text/data plan in Japan. I traveled to Tokyo in mid-April and enjoyed a solid 3G signal the entire trip. Just a heads up that after landing and switching over to GSM/UMTS at first I wasn't getting any data. I had to update my PRL & profile and after that everything worked great for the entire trip. Meanwhile, my buddy with AT&T ended up renting a mobile hotspot which cost him around $60 for the week.

What kind of speeds were you getting on 3G? Did you disable LTE or was it not picking up LTE?

Isn't the roaming plan 2G? Did you buy a pack of 3G data? Or is Japan special since it's our parent company's homeland?

sent from an underwater dust storm from my Sprint S5
12th May 2015, 05:11 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 26

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmark27

What kind of speeds were you getting on 3G? Did you disable LTE or was it not picking up LTE?

Isn't the roaming plan 2G? Did you buy a pack of 3G data? Or is Japan special since it's our parent company's homeland?

sent from an underwater dust storm from my Sprint S5

I didn't test extensively because I was on vacation and quite frankly just happy to have a solid signal. From outside my hotel in Shibuya I was getting 1.1 Mbps down consistently when I tested mid-day. I never had trouble with my signal wherever I was in Tokyo, or at Narita airport. I didn't disable LTE, but I only ever received 3G the entire trip. I didn't buy any extra 3G data, just the $5 monthly charge from Sprint.
The Following User Says Thank You to Guzmantis For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th May 2015, 05:42 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Weird (maybe stupid) question about this: does the unlimited voice and text include calls to numbers based in Japan and the US? So in Japan, calling home to the US would be free, but also calling a friend in Japan on his/her cell would be free?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread