FORUMS

Beats Music No Longer Accepting New Accounts

Whenever Apple launches a new product or service, it definitely manages to grab the … more

Do You Do Self-Repairs on Your Devices?

As smartphone designs become more and more complex, self-repairs on devices are also becoming … more

Sony Z4 Slips Out of Top 5 Smartphones in Japan

In a bid to streamline its flagship series which had been losing credibility over the … more

Sprint’s New Unlimited Plan with Ridiculous Capped Speeds

The carrier game in the United States is perpetually rushing forward at … more

Virgin Mobile Galaxy s5 "Post here" of your ideas/learned

9 posts
Thanks Meter: 2

By shadowman280x, Junior Member on 21st October 2014, 09:06 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Please post here ALL of what you learned/thoughts/ideas. My goal is to get the Sprint based phone "G900P.04" Virgin Mobile users up and going.
I am not responsible for ANYTHING!!! Try doodling with your phone at your own risk!

THIS IS WHAT I GOT SO FAR:
APN SETTINGS:
Virgin Mobile Samsung Galaxy s5 as all the capabilities of flashing any Sprint based G900P.04 ROM/Tweak. However, once flashed, you will have Sprint based network APN settings/not virgin mobile network APN settings. APN settings is what allows you to call/text/LTE/send receive text/pictures. Currently the Virgin Mobile stock ROM doesn't have the option to manually set APN settings though settings/network connections/more networks. However, once flashed to a Sprint ROM, this option "should" now be available to edit. If ballzy enough to try flashing a Sprint ROM and obtain data capability PLEASE POST YOUR FINDINGS. Virgin Moible APN settings can be found at this address:
Virgin Mobile USA APN Settings
I called Virgin Mobile and told them that my send recieve text doesn't work and ask if i can access APN settings manually to check if there correct. He gave no option to view them manually. He advised to dial ##72786# which he said redoes the hands free activation process and "?may?" fix the APN issue.
Apps like the APN backup & restore is another option "if exhausting all other available options" a thread I found HERE It appears that if you know what your doing, the app will work but nevertheless, people has reported it not restoring APN settings.

ROOTING Virgin Mobile Galaxy s5 Obtain warranty without tripping knox counter:
The CF autoroot though odin I seen threads that it trips the knox counter but the "towelroot" method doesnt trip the knox counter and was easy for me.
How to:
1. Go to settings/system/security/allow 3rd party apps. As long as you know what you download I disabled "verify apps" while I'm their.
2. With your phone, Download towelroot HERE and click the red logo to start download
3. Download a file explore application from Google Play "my favorite is FX File Explorer/has secondary Playstore download for accessing root files" and install the tr-1 .apk you downloaded.
4. Read and click the option to root phone.
5. When it says remove knox I clicked "yes."
6. As mine did also, a lot of users report that the phone didn't complete/auto reset device but hung on the "removing knox process." Personally I waited 5min---pressed the home button---manually reset phone.
7. Go to Play store and download/install SuperSU---update binary's---reset phone
8.Your phone is rooted/complete.

Return to Factory Stock
Reflash the phone with the factory stock ROM with Odin can see instructions HERE
Note: Virgin Mobile users only has the option of the Sprint ROM so im curious if this will bork up APN settings...putting them on Sprint/not Virgin Mobile settings. The hand free activation by dialing ##72786# may/may not work.

Custom Recovery:
All Sprint based recoveries I'm positive will work. Custom Recovery opens up any theme/tweak/ROM capability. However, im reluctant to do so because you will not have the ability to update the OS when it arrives because it requires the stock recovery....where you have to do the Return to Factory Stock option just posted.
I've always used Philz Touch Recovery and was always happy with it. Insturctions HERE
There is a TWRP recovery but even people on the TWRP thread say that they hear good things about Philz Recovery.

Installing a ROM:
As mentioned, only Sprint Based ROMs work because it's a Sprint phone. However, if flashing a Sprint ROM through your custom recovery it should error. This is because the developer Puts a script in the ROM that only allows Sprint not Virgin mobile phones to flash the ROM. To fix this, it requires editing the ROM with NotePad++ and deleting the first few lines of code. Good thread to read how to do this is HERE

Apps/Tweaks:

Im still using stock ROM up until somebody with experience can guarantee I can start flashing ROMs without any mishapps.
..Adaway is working great.
Link HERE Couldn't beileve the amount of ad's is on the Internet...even on XDA. Just open/install with a file explorer like FX File Explorer...make sure under settings/security you check "Unknown sources" so you can install apps outside of play store

Wanam Xposed is amazing
Verified working on my Virgin Mobile Stock ROM. Install Wanam from Playstore and install frame work from HERE Now got my phone all theme'd blacked-out like how I like it. 4-way boot menu working too. NOTE: Wanam website states S-Health conflicts with it...so recommend uninstalling it.

Native Hotspot Enabled:
Install this App HERE GalaxyTools.apk. Click Enable Native Hotspot and reboot phone. "Mine rebooted automatically once enabled." Now I access my Hotspot using a playstore hotspot widget "my perfered is called Elixir 2 from the playstore. " on my home screen.

Debloat Stock ROM:
App Master is small and can go to system files and debloat all dumb apps Samsung/Virgin Mobile put on there. A thread HERE shows what Apps are safe to remove.

PLEASE POST ALL YOUR FINDINGS/THOUGHTS/IDEAS
Last edited by shadowman280x; 22nd October 2014 at 11:37 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shadowman280x For This Useful Post: [ View ]

21st November 2014, 10:56 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Rather than restoring a Virgin Mobile phone to a Sprint stock firmware we can use these firmwares instead

G900PVPU1ANE5 STOCK VIRGIN MOBILE
G900PVPU1ANK4 STOCK VIRGIN MOBILE
G900PVPU1BOA6 STOCK VIRGIN MOBILE
Notice the Product Code is VMU, which is for VIRGIN MOBILE!

I'll try to keep this post updated with Virgin Mobile Firmwares in case more are added, for convenience and reference
Here is where I got them from
FIRMWARES | SAMMOBILE | VMU
Last edited by a7thousandths; 14th February 2015 at 04:54 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to a7thousandths For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd November 2014, 12:17 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
VM's stock ROMs are on sammobile.

Working are CF auto-root, and Philz recovery (via ODIN).

The latest Sprint NK4 ROM (4.4.4) can be ODIN flashed on top of the VM stuff, and everything keeps working as VM. (Towelroot does not work on 4.4.4.)

I don't believe the VM APN settings posted above are accurate for this phone. But if you do the above (CF auto-root, Philz, Sprint ROM), you should be able to get to them on your own phone.

Presumably there will be a stock VM 4.4.4 ROM released soon regardless.

I don't know that there's a need to do much VM-specific stuff separate from what's done for Sprint.
Last edited by d99x; 22nd November 2014 at 12:23 AM.
4th February 2015, 04:12 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
I've been having two flashable zips that I use when switching to a new AOSP based rom (like CM, PAC, whatever), so rather than doing it manually, for you lazy folk like me, you can boot into Recovery, after having checked that you properly flashed your ROM, and flash these VMU APNs. This is for KK ROMs only! If you flash the file named AOSP_MMS_FIX.zip on lollipop you will get a Bootloop.
I got them a while ago so I forgot where or who made them, if you are reading this however, let me know so that I can give cred

By the way, does anybody know how to get MMS working on lollipop? With lollipop roms I can flash the file Universal_vmu_ApnFix-v.R2.zip to get texting and calls working but it doesnt fix picture messages.

EDIT: The Universal_vmuApnFix-v.R2.zip DOES work on AOSP lollipop roms. Just do not flash the other file.
Attached Files
File Type: zip AOSP_MMS_FIX.zip - [Click for QR Code] (558.8 KB, 102 views)
File Type: zip Universal_vmu_ApnFix-v.R2.zip - [Click for QR Code] (173.4 KB, 66 views)
Last edited by a7thousandths; 14th February 2015 at 04:53 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to a7thousandths For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th February 2015, 10:16 PM |#5  

More
The Sprint Lollipop 5.0 OA6 stock tar posted at the following does also appear to work for VM. Somehow it does know it's on a VM phone -- VM boot logo and everything:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...29&postcount=1

No problems with the latest CF Auto-root in that thread. Philz 6.57.8 appears to still work after renewed flashing, too.
6th February 2015, 11:53 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
boost mobile send the update same day Sprint relesed

Sent from my SM-G900P using XDA Free mobile app
7th February 2015, 10:04 PM |#7  
Flag Amarillo, Texas

More
d99x, no APN fix was needed when you flashed that Sprint OA6 onto the VM S5?
8th February 2015, 06:37 AM |#8  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBritton

d99x, no APN fix was needed when you flashed that Sprint OA6 onto the VM S5?

Correct. And though APN settings are no longer accessible via "More networks," an S-Finder search for "Access Point Names" still turns up the settings. Confirmed to be VM. Everything's hunky dory automatically.

For what it's worth, I backed everything up via Kies in advance. After all apps re-downloaded from the Play store, a Kies restore did get back most if not all of my settings. It just can't restore apps themselves to the new build.
12th February 2015, 12:46 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Anyone know the best way to root with the lollipop update installed?
12th February 2015, 09:37 PM |#10  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChiZ

Anyone know the best way to root with the lollipop update installed?

The CF Auto-Root linked in the first post of this thread works, but trips Knox:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2729617

And for what it's worth, the official VM firmware is now up at SamMobile:
http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/d.../SM-G900P/VMU/
The Following User Says Thank You to d99x For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread