[Q&A][FAQ][UG][MOAR][NE5] FAQ, Q&A and User Guide for MOAR 2.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

SHYZZA

Jan 8, 2011
Cybertron
Anyone have the calendar apk? Or can I go back through 5.0 installer and just install that way? It's not in blot pack and I didn't check it during install.

skrillazo

Feb 18, 2015
Websites hanging after installing MOAR & NE5

After I installed the MOAR ROM and the NE5 baseband, I've noticed that my internet on my phone is hanging very bad and other apps like Spotify or Pandora are
pausing a lot during use. Any ideas why this could be happening? I've brushed it off ever since I did it in December but now it's just annoying me because it takes
so long to load a normal website. I usually have great signal in my house now it's in the pooper.

tdunham

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 21, 2008
TampaBay
After I installed the MOAR ROM and the NE5 baseband, I've noticed that my internet on my phone is hanging very bad and other apps like Spotify or Pandora are
pausing a lot during use. Any ideas why this could be happening? I've brushed it off ever since I did it in December but now it's just annoying me because it takes
so long to load a normal website. I usually have great signal in my house now it's in the pooper.

Did you activate the adaway ad blocker? Ad blockers cause problems for some folks. That's all I can think of right now.

Reactions: rompnit

Ramer

Jun 20, 2010
Sunset
Thread closed

If you're still using MOAR 2.2, you should consider upgrading to MOAR 6.x (Lollipop) If still on MOAR 2.2 and have a question, post it in the MOAR 6.1 Q&A, but please make sure you state which version of MOAR you're on.
Link for current Q&A:
MOAR has a dedicated Help section located HERE.

callisto2403

Aug 13, 2015
i have some issues within the settings

hi, i have some questions and i can't figure it out myself.
.1 how to remove the blue battery circle from top? i just want the regular one. i stuck with 2 battery scales.

.2 how to change the bottom buttons layout? i want the left bottom to show all the running programs
the middle home bottom doesn't lunch the app that i assign for example : double tap: calculator ---- triple tap: currency converter etc..

maybe i installed the rom not good? thank you very much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Bug.gif
    Q&A - FAQ
    Bug.gif

Note to first time installers of MOAR
    Three things are "assumed" before attempting to install MOAR:
    1. You are already rooted.
    2. You have a custom recovery already installed.
    3. You understand the consequences of installing a custom recovery and custom rom.
    This thread is not the place to ask how to root or how to install a custom recovery.

Special install note to Android 4.4.4 users:

MOAR is based on 4.4.2. Here's what you need to do:

Method 1:
    See @rompnit's post ->HERE<-. This can be done without Odin.

Method 2:
    1. You should have MOAR (the installer) on your internal or external SD.
    2. Download and Odin the NE5 firmware. Uncheck auto-reboot in Odin and make sure you have a blue ID:COM light.
    3. Click the AP button and put the NE5 firmware file there. Click Start. Wait for Odin to finish, then reboot manually into custom recovery. (Volume UP, Home and Power).
    4. Flash MOAR.
    5. Profit!

NOTE: Please read the original post (OP) for MOAR (and for the download link or click Downloads from the black bar above this post), as many answers can be found there. @rompnit and @tdunham put a lot of time and effort to give us the Mother Of All Roms. We owe it to them search for answers before posting. Chances are, you'll find your answer.

NOTE: Please use the forums SEARCH feature before posting a question that may have already been answered.

NOTE: [GUIDE] - XDA New User Guide - Getting started on XDA <- Great read if you're new here. :good:

NOTE: Search techniques for first-timers ;)
    1. Searching from a mobile device is difficult but can be done. These screenshots should help you if using the XDA app on your phone:

XDA%20Search%201.png
    . .
    XDA%20Search%202.png

XDA%20Search%203.png
    . .
    XDA%20Search%204.png

2. If on a computer, in the XDA forum, you can search globally for any XDA subject or just the thread you're viewing. (Upper right-hand section of browser) Since we're mostly interested in MOAR, you'd use the thread search.
    Search4.png

3. Keep your search term reasonably simple. For example: Searching for "prl" would result in any post with the word prl, if you're really trying to find out how to write a prl file on your phone, try "write prl". Try different ways. Bonus Tip: Using Google and adding XDA can yield great results too. For example, "write prl xda".
    Search2.png

4. Results of the search can give multiple results, scan through them to see if you can find your answer. (Hint: User your browsers back button to go back to search results.

Search3.png

5. Some more tips on using Internet Search Engines.

NOTE: MOAR Mod Control mini user's guide can be found in post #2
    NOTE: Many questions can be answered by going into MOAR Mod Control and going through all of the various settings.

1. MOAR Mods

(a). Q: Where can I find the mod to do …..?
    @tdunham's New Stuff Mods v1.x for MOAR v2.2 can be found ->HERE<-.

Additional Caller ID Backgrounds Flash in Recovery

MOAR Caller ID Backgrounds Flash in Recovery

@JoeyDuran's MOAR Section Settings Icons Note: Click small Download button (2nd one) Flash in Recovery

@willowmaker420's Themed Settings Icons. Screenshots ->HERE<-. Alternate download location ->HERE<-.

NOTE: If you are doing a clean install, you only have to flash the latest mod, every previous mod will be included.

(b). Q: I want to change a selection I made during installation, how do I do this?
    MOAR's Aroma Installer is designed to allow you to install the ROM and the add-on's or just the add-on's by themselves.

If you need to make a change, select the second option.

MOAR_NE5_v2.2.zip.screenshoot-1.png
    . .
    MOAR_NE5_V2.2.zip.screenshoot-2.png

These are the options you'll see as you go through the installer, they are the same for both selections (Install Rom & Add-ons or just Install Add-ons)
    MOAR_NE5_v2.2.zip.screenshoot-3.png
    . .
    MOAR_NE5_v2.2.zip.screenshoot-4.png

MOAR_NE5_V2.2.zip.screenshoot-5.png
    . .
    MOAR_NE5_V2.2.zip.screenshoot-6.png

MOAR_NE5_V2.2.zip.screenshoot-7.png
    . .
    MOAR_NE5_V2.2.zip.screenshoot-8.png

MOAR_NE5_v2.2.zip.screenshoot-9.png
    . .
    MOAR_NE5_v2.2.zip.screenshoot-10.png

MOAR_NE5_V2.2.zip.screenshoot-11.png

MOAR_NE5_v2.2.zip.screenshoot-13.png
    . .
    MOAR_NE5_v2.2.zip.screenshoot-14.png

(c). Q: I’m missing my Sprint / Samsung / Google app. What happened to them?
    MOAR has been de-bloated, but you can restore any app that was removed (or add any) by downloading and flashing the Aroma powered bloat package =>HERE<=.

Install missing bloatware:

Bloat01.png
    . .
    Bloat02.png

Bloat03.png
    . .
    Bloat04.png

Bloat05.png
    . .
    Bloat06.png

Bloat07.png

Remove bloatware:

Bloat08.png
    . .
    Bloat09.png

Bloat10.png
    . .
    Bloat11.png

Bloat12.png

(d). Q: How do I get Smart Remote / IR Blaster to work?
    You need to install Smart Remote from the Bloat Package (See question (c) above). Additionally, if you are using KT Kernel you have to download and install an older version (KT-SGS5-KK4.4-TW-G900-09.21.2014.zip)

2. MOAR Theming

(a). Q: Can MOAR be themed?
    Yes, @stangdriver44 created THE MISSING LINK. It's been tested on MOAR v2.2 and gives you moar choices than you can imagine! Please post any questions on THE MISSING LINK thread.
    Until @stangdriver44 advises otherwise, only use the section in these screenshots:
    ML%20Themes%201.png
    . .
    ML%20Themes%202.png

Under "Build My Own", the three sections pointed to are not designed to work on Sprint, do not use.

ML00001.png
    . .
    ML00002.png

ML00003.png

UPDATE: Tested with MOAR 2.2.

Links to additional themes from @reverepats, @JoeyDuran and @willowmaker420 are located in post#6. Thanks guys :)

(b). Q: How do I get the custom toggles that I've seen in screen shots? When I try it, they look like a blob. (MOAR v2.0 +)
    Refer to Notificaton Panel section of MOAR Mod Control User Guide (post #2) for instructions.

(c). Q: I don’t like the boot animation, can I change it?
    Update: As well as the instructions below for manually creating your own bootanimations, I posted some of the ones I've done. These are all flashable in recovery. They can be found ->HERE<-. Also seven of my favorites in an all in one Aroma installer can be found ->HERE<-.

Great instructions can be found =>HERE<= as well as a link to bootanimations. You can find more all over the Internet. Most won't be sized correctly for our phone (1080 x 1920) so you'll need to do some modifications, on a PC.

1. First you'll need an unzipping programs such as 7Zip.

2. Unzip your bootanimation.zip and you will have files "similar" to this:

Animation%20unzipped.png

3. Open the desc.txt file, using Notepad. There are two numbers that need to be changed. It doesn't matter what the original numbers are, you need to change them to 1080 1920. Ignore anything else in that file. Make sure to click "File" and the "Save". (Or close Notepad and Save when prompted).

Animation%20unzipped%203.png

4. Now you need to re-save all the files in that folder, use CTRL-A to select them and then right click on your desktop. You should see a screen that looks like the next screenshot. Click Add to archive. Make sure you change Archive format to "Zip" and Compression level to "Store". Click OK.

Animation%20unzipped%203a.png

Animation%20unzipped%204.png

5. Rename the file to bootanimation.zip if it's not already and move it to the file location on your phone as shown on the link in the second paragraph. Reboot!

(d). Q: How do I add widgets to the lockscreen?
    To enable/disable Lockscreen Widgets on MOAR v2.0 *with* @tdunham's MOAR 2.0 Mods: Go to Mod Control -> Lockscreen Options.

Lockscreen%20Widgets.png

To add/delete lockscreen widgets, @tdunham wrote instructions that can be found =>HERE<=.

(e). Q: Can I change the pulldown image or the statusbar image?
    For portrait pulldowns and statusbars, go to MOAR Mod Control -> Statusbar Settings -> Backgrounds and/or MOAR Mod Control -> Notification Panel -> Backgrounds.

Statusbar and pulldowns will now scale in landscape mode. If your statusbar and pulldown is a solid color or doesn't change with scaling then your good to go. If you want a different statusbar or pulldown in landscape mode then you must add a statusbar_land.png and/or pulldown_land.png to the internal SD moar folder. To look right they should be sized as 1920x75 (statusbar) and 1920x1080 (pulldown). Here's a Windows program for resizing and converting your image.

(f). Q: I'm trying to change the image for wallpaper, lockscreen and/or pulldown, why doesn't it work?
    You need to be using the Touchwiz (TW) gallery. The AOSP Gallery won't work. Re-flash MOAR and select option 2 (Install Add-ons only). You will NOT be reflashing the rom itself. Go through the options and when you get to "Gallery" select the TW Gallery".

3. General

(a). Q: Should I do a clean install of MOAR, or is a dirty flash okay? Alternate problem: I did a clean install of MOAR, but it won't boot.
    From the MOAR OP:
    // MOAR v2.2 [NE5 / 4.4] [11.09.2014]
    ** 1st Boot will take forever, and the animation may lag. This is normal!
    ** A clean install is HIGHLY recommended and can be done easily from the installer.
    In addition, you should install the LATEST version of @tdunham's New Stuff mods.
    Generally, there's no harm in doing a dirty flash. Try it, if you don't experience any problems, then you're okay. If you have FCs right away or other problems, the do a clean install. YMMV.

If you just installed MOAR but it's not booting, per @tdunham:

You cant run a 4.4.2 rom on top of the NK4 bootloader, you have to also flash the NK4 kernel.
    You have a couple of choices:

- if you want to stay on the NK4 bootloader, flash the NK4 kernel from HERE before rebooting the rom after flashing (uncheck reboot) OR

- flash the mini-bootloader to bring the phone back to NE5 bootloader first HERE

Its probably easier just to obtain and flash the NK4 kernel after the rom but its up to you. Don't forget to do a full wipe before flashing any rom.

(b). Q: Where can I get flashable recovery?

The two available recoveries for Sprint GS5 are TWRP and Philz. Both can be found ->HERE<-. The .tar file(s) must be installed with Odin. Zip files are flashed in your present custom recovery. Older versions included, in most cases you'll want to install the latest version. In addtion, @ktoonsez KT TWRP v2.8.2.0 (or newer) is available ->HERE<-.

Note: If Odin link for v3.10 not working, here's alternate.

(c). Q: Why am I getting the error stating "do not have program installed" when I try to change the lockscreen wallpaper?
    You need to install the Touchwiz (TW) Gallery, not the AOSP Gallery. Re-flash the MOAR Aroma installer and select the second option to "Change Add-On's only". When you get to the Gallery section, choose TW. Finish going through selections and reboot. You won't be wiping anything out.

(d). Q: It looks like I have two wifi/4g icons.How do I get rid of it?
    That's Download Booster. You can toggle it on or off via Setting -> Network Connections -> Download Booster.

Download%20Booster1.png

(e). Q: Can I use MOAR on my T-Mobile, AT&T, Verizon etc. S5?
    No. MOAR is a Sprint based ROM which can only be used on the Sprint network, which includes Boost Mobile and Virgin Mobile. Sprint uses CDMA. For an understanding of CDMA vs GSM, here's a wikipedia article.

UPDATE: For those on the Galaxy S5 Sport SM-G860P, see @tdunham's thread ->HERE<-. Make sure to read both posts 1 and 2 (as well as the rest of the thread!)

(f). Q: How come I'm missing some settings in the Camera app?
    This is not a MOAR issue, and not really an issue at all. When you tap the Settings "Gear" in the Camera, there isn't a scroll bar, but if you slide your finger up/down on the settings, the rest of the settings will come into view.

Camera%20Settings.png

(g). Q: Where can I find the stock kernels?
    Stock kernels courtesy of @tdunham are available ->HERE<-. (All 6 stock kernels, flashable recovery zips and flashable Odin versions)

(h). Q: Can I return my phone to stock, unrooted state before taking it to a Sprint store?
    SM-G900P_NE5_Stock_Unrooted will return your phone to stock. You need to download and run this file from a Windows PC, it has it's own installer. Note, you will not be able to reset the knox counter (as of this writing, nothing will).

(i). Q: Is there a way to restart my phone without pulling the battery, to get into Recovery or Download mode if it locks up/bootloops?

(j). Q: Why do the widgets on my home screen(s) disappear after I turn off my screen?
    This seems to be caused by switching between different launchers. The data/cache gets corrupted. (NOTE: This will clear your launcher settings, so they will have to be set up again. To clear Touchwiz launcher:

Go to Settings -> Application Manager and find Touchwiz Home, tap to open it's settings.

Touchwiz%201.png
    . .
    Touchwiz%202.png

In the app settings, tap (1) Force Stop and (2) Clear Data. When you exit, if you have more than one launcher installed, you'll need to choose Touchwiz Home.

(k). Q: Where can I find other modems for the Sprint Galaxy S5?

NOTE: Knowledge of installing using Odin is required.

NOTE: Thank you to @andee39, @banccalif, @jrkruse, and @tdunham for the files and the feedback.

NOTE: This is not to upgrade your phone to Android 4.4.4, this is only so you can install the latest modems.

NOTE: If you use fingerprint security, the NKD (Lollipop) modem breaks it.

Files needed (download to PC:
    Odin (Upgrade to Odin 3.10.0)

NK4 Firmware. Only needs to be odin'd once. You can then odin any modem to use.

Modems. They are listed oldest to newest. Alternately, you can download All Modems.zip to PC as a single file and extract the modem(s) you want to try.

Instructions:

1. Power down phone. Do not use a menu to go into Download Mode.
    2. Go into Download Mode (Volume Down, Home and Power Button), then Volume UP to continue.
    3. Plug phone into computer via USB.
    4. Start Odin. (Ensure you have a blue ID:COM light in Odin.
    5. If firmware file needs to be installed, place it in the AP/PDA (older version) slot. This is a one time only step.
    6. Place modem file in CP slot. (If you are upgrading the firmware, step 5 & 6 can be combined.
    7. Press Start. Phone will reboot when finished.

(l). Q: I'm only getting one or two bars for my signal, can I do anything? (PRL Update)
    There's a couple of things you can try:

1. If your signal strength just started getting weak, it may just be the cell tower in your area, you could call Sprint to see if they are working in your area.

2. Update your PRL. Go to Settings -> System Update -> Update PRL.

Update%20PRL_1.png
    . .
    Update%20PRL_2.png

Update%20PRL_3.png

3. Write the Corporate PRL. Many of us have gotten better reception with this. Make sure to follow the instructions competely from ->HERE<-. If you want to return to the stock PRL at any time, just repeat Step 2.

Write%20PRL_1.png
    . .
    Write%20PRL_2.png

Write%20PRL_3.png

The following link is provided for informational purposes. Please do a nanoid backup before you try anything that is suggested there. Some information does not apply to the S5 and some info may be outdated.

(m). Q: What's the ETA on the next version of MOAR?
    This question in any form is considered very rude and should not be asked EVER. The developers work hard to provide a great rom, but they also have a life, family etc. They are the only ones who know when the next version will/may be released, so asking anyone in the forums doesn't help. Please refer to paragraph 2 under guidelines ->HERE<-.

(n). Q: Is there an online user guide for the Sprint Galaxy S5?

Yes, it's located ->HERE<-. Has a wealth of information about our $600 phone.

4. Screencasts Useful screencasts for getting the most out of your phone.

(a). Clearing caches and rebooting nightly with Titanium Backup

(b). Disabling Xposed Framework for troubleshooting

(c). Using TiBu Pro to create update.zip of installed apps and data after clean install.

We're going to try this again. @tdunham has been working on streamlining the process as well.

(k). Q: Where can I find other modems for the Sprint Galaxy S5?

NOTE: Knowledge of installing using Odin is required.

NOTE: Thank you to @andee39, @banccalif, @jrkruse, and @tdunham for the files and the feedback.

NOTE: This is not to upgrade your phone to Android 4.4.4, this is only so you can install the latest modems.

NOTE: If you use fingerprint security, the NKD (Lollipop) modem breaks it.

Files needed (download to PC:
    Odin (Has been tested on all versions, but best results with Odin 3.10.0)

NK4 Firmware. Only needs to be odin'd once. You can then odin any modem to use.

Modems. They are listed oldest to newest.

Instructions:

1. Power down phone. Do not use a menu to go into Download Mode.
    2. Go into Download Mode (Volume Down, Home and Power Button), then Volume UP to continue.
    3. Plug phone into computer via USB.
    4. Start Odin. (Ensure you have a blue ID:COM light in Odin.
    5. If firmware file needs to be installed, place it in the AP/PDA (older version) slot. This is a one time only step.
    6. Place modem file in CP slot. (If you are upgrading the firmware, step 5 & 6 can be combined.
    7. Press Start. Phone will reboot when finished.
    Added new note to top of FAQ:

Note to first time installers of MOAR
    Three things are "assumed" before attempting to install MOAR:
    1. You are already rooted.
    2. You have a custom recovery already installed.
    3. You understand the consequences of installing a custom recovery and custom rom.
    This thread is not the place to ask how to root or how to install a custom recovery.
    Since the printing issue is not necessarily MOAR Rom specific, I created a new thread in Themes & Apps with a flashable zip to enable print services and also install the PrinterShare app.

NE5 Printing Fix