FORUMS

Analysis & Opinion

Echo: people say they here themselves echo.

899 posts
Thanks Meter: 389

By Xalky, Senior Member on 10th July 2014, 05:35 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
When I use a wired headset, people are hearing themselves echo back. I'm running moar Rom, but I'm not sure if its related to the Rom. I've used the original headset and several aftermarket headsets with the same results. When the headset is disconnected, the conversation goes back to normal. I don't here the echo on my end. Anybody else have this problem with the s5?

Sent from my SM-G900P using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

15th July 2014, 04:24 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member

More
Anyone?? Blue tooth works fine. All my wired headsets are echoing back to the person on the other end of the line. I found out that its not the Rom, by loading the stock Rom back on the phone, with the same results. This leads me to belief that its a hardware problem with the headset jack, possibly.

Sent from my SM-G900P using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
4th August 2014, 05:47 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
An update on my wired headphone echo problem. I think I can trace it to the volume level. If my volume level is set to high, the person on the other end gets the echo. It happens with every wired headset that I have. I'm not sure if its leakage occurring within the phone or the headset. My suspicions are the headset wires don't have any shielding between the Mic and speaker wires. Its either there or within the phone itself. When I turn down the volume the problem goes away for the person on the other end. Bluetooth works fine.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Xalky For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th February 2015, 02:16 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Talking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xalky

An update on my wired headphone echo problem. I think I can trace it to the volume level. If my volume level is set to high, the person on the other end gets the echo. It happens with every wired headset that I have. I'm not sure if its leakage occurring within the phone or the headset. My suspicions are the headset wires don't have any shielding between the Mic and speaker wires. Its either there or within the phone itself. When I turn down the volume the problem goes away for the person on the other end. Bluetooth works fine.

This was exactly the solution I needed for both wired and speakerphone usage, and just wanted to post to let you know how appreciative I am of your self-resolved solo-thread! There are many similar complaints all over the net about the S2's echo problem--with numerous nonsensical fixes and/or warranty-voiding solutions, but nothing remotely helpful regarding the S5. Of all the solutions I came across, not one person mentioned simply turning down the volume!

As a previous owner of the S2, I never had any of the troubles stated by many users, partially because the ICS OS was so clean and easy to optimize. The S5 is another matter entirely; after countless hours and days of immersion in KitKat, I had no clue what of the million one Touchwiz bloatware apps and options was the culprit. Or if it was just a hardware flaw. There was no way in hell I was going to get a replacement for a mere echo since too many hours were already sunk into reconfiguring and installing backed up applications (for a second time), and I was already using a hard-won replacement due to some bizarre problem where the original phone bricked itself.

Nevertheless, the echo wasn't an issue at all at the beginning, but after optimizing and customizing ad nauseam, I gradually discovered that call quality was never consistent for my wired handset, wired headset, wired headphones, a splitter setup, and with the speakerphone. Sometimes others complained, other times they didn't. And after a while--where circumstances forced me to keep the volume setting on maximum all the time, the echo problem, along with a deluge of relevant complaints, became a constant whenever the phone wasn't radiating my head. (Despite the current "safe" SAR info out there, this S5 model is still dangerously high for me as my face will experience numbness when pressed up against the device for extended talk time .)

With the sheer amount variables to test, the prospect of bothering others to double check call quality, and the added frustration of communication-imposed radiation, this simple conclusion would have taken me a long time to resolve on my own.

Many thanks for posting!
Last edited by E1Quetz; 16th February 2015 at 02:24 AM.
23rd February 2015, 07:18 PM |#5  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xalky

This work for me, THANK YOU!
3rd August 2015, 11:09 PM |#6  

More
Wink What The F*@k?!?!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by thord33

This work for me, THANK YOU!

The solution is to turn down the volume? Nice free solution brother! This has been driving my wife and I nuts whenever I am driving in Chicago (hands free or ticket, land) using my wired headset. the only downside is my hearing isn't what it used to be...dare I say I may need to go iPhone if Galaxy doesn't get their act straight. Hmmm, I wonder if this issue has been noticed and fixed on the Edge? Thanks again for the only REAL solution I can find on the web.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread