LG G3 Receives Oversharpening Fix via Modified Kernel

Nothing is perfect, as they say. No matter how alluring or seemingly perfect, … more

APKTool Updated with Android Lollipop Support

One of the beauties of Android is the level of flexibility we have over our devices. Whether … more

Lollipop Leak for Sprint Galaxy S5, TWRP for Micromax Canvas Magnus – XDA TV

Android 5.0 Lollipop has been leaked for the Sprint … more

Velocity is Like OpenTable on Steroids

We all enjoy a night out with friends or our significant other from time to time. However, there is … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

How the h3ck do I back my newly rooted s5?

OP CTH-EVO

30th June 2014, 09:25 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Port Orchard
Thanks Meter: 8

191 posts
More
Greetings, All.
OK was real comfortable rooting my EVO-4G, and tweaking every aspect of it. ROM installs...
But That was quite some time ago, and a completely different brand of phone than my new
[Sprint] Samsung Galaxy S5 (SM-G900P). So I find myself a bit lost. What I'd like to do, is
make myself a backup. Before doing anything to it. You wouldn't mess with your phone
before making a backup, would you?
So I figure CWM is probably the best route to travel for this, yes? If so, what's the process?
I download ClockWorkMod, and what?

NOTE: I do not have/use Windows. So anything Windows related will not be an option.

Thank you for all your time, and consideration.

--Chris
Last edited by CTH-EVO; 1st July 2014 at 01:47 AM.
1st July 2014, 12:11 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Nashville, TN
Thanks Meter: 2,870

2,761 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTH-EVO

Greetings, All.
OK was real comfortable rooting my EVO-4G, and tweaking every aspect of it. ROM installs...
But That was quite some time ago, and a completely different brand of phone than my new
[Sprint] Samsung Galaxy S5 (SM-G900P). So I find myself a bit lost. What I'd like to do, is
make myself a backup. Before doing anything to it. You wouldn't mess with your phone
before making a backup, would you?
So I figure CWM is probably the best route to travel for this, yes? If so, what's the process?
I download ClockWorkMod, and what?

NOTE: I do not have/use Windows. So anything Windows related will not be an option.

Thank you for all your time, and consideration.

--Chris

First, please edit the curse word out of the title. Curse words with symbols/letters are still curse words .

Second, since you're not on Windows, your only option is to root in Linux using heimdall(Google has tons on this). You can flash custom recovery through there. By the way, you technically don't need root to do a backup . Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G900P using XDA Free mobile app
1st July 2014, 12:20 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 44

131 posts
swear words
Hell is not a swear word!
1st July 2014, 01:50 AM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Port Orchard

191 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsingle76

First, please edit the curse word out of the title. Curse words with symbols/letters are still curse words .

Done. Sorry.
Quote:

Second, since you're not on Windows, your only option is to root in Linux using heimdall(Google has tons on this). You can flash custom recovery through there. By the way, you technically don't need root to do a backup . Good luck!

OK. I'll look around. I was hoping XDA would have the answer, rather than Google. But I'll ask Goog instead, I guess.

Thanks.

--Chris
1st July 2014, 01:51 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Port Orchard

191 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceburn1

Hell is not a swear word!

That was my thought too. But, hey, I don't want to offend anyone.

--Chris
1st July 2014, 06:15 AM   |  #6  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Nashville, TN

2,761 posts
More
Quote:

Done. Sorry.

OK. I'll look around. I was hoping XDA would have the answer, rather than Google. But I'll ask Goog instead, I guess.

Thanks.

--Chris

I'm sorry, I meant use Google to narrow down the search XDA. Sometimes it's easier to search and put "xda" at the end in Google and find the forums you want. XDA has a good search function too, but Google is faster sometimes.

The Following User Says Thank You to jdsingle76 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st July 2014, 03:22 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Port Orchard

191 posts
More
Quote:

I'm sorry, I meant use Google to narrow down the search XDA. Sometimes it's easier to search and put "xda" at the end in Google and find the forums you want. XDA has a good search function too, but Google is faster sometimes.

Thanks for the clarification.

I can't help but notice:
Quote:

Indicates you're using the same device (SM-G900P) I'm looking to back-up, and customize. Surely
you backed yours up before modifying it. If you don't mind my asking; how did you do it, and what are
you now running?

Thanks, for all your time, and consideration.

--Chris
1st July 2014, 03:55 PM   |  #8  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Nashville, TN

2,761 posts
More
Quote:

Thanks for the clarification.

I can't help but notice:

Indicates you're using the same device (SM-G900P) I'm looking to back-up, and customize. Surely
you backed yours up before modifying it. If you don't mind my asking; how did you do it, and what are
you now running?

Thanks, for all your time, and consideration.

--Chris

I use Philz recovery exclusively for my flashing, backup, rooting, everything. You're not using Odin(I recommend borrowing a buddy's laptop with Windows for 5 min, it's much easier than Heindall), so you'll have to research how to flash the tar through Linux, but it can be done. Here's the recovery tar. Be sure to thank @Phil3759 while you're over there. The man is a genius at building these recoveries. Good luck!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2706253

The Following User Says Thank You to jdsingle76 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread