Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Questions about root methods (towelroot) and not "tripping" Knox

OP zmag

13th August 2014, 04:45 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 82

347 posts
Just read some posts in the towelroot forum, and I had some questions - but first, a little about me:

I'm coming from an HTC Evo 4g LTE (Sprint) and I just switched to Ting (uses all Sprint towers & devices, just an a-la-carte payment plan as opposed to monthly)

Anywho, all this Knox business (and acquiring root for the S5) is new to me (but I am no newbie when it comes to root, just my first time owning a Samsung device.) I havent even had this phone for 24 hours yet.

Just wanted to know what build/kernel/Android version you were on when you attempted towelroot?

I am on Android 4.4.2 - Build: KOT49H.G900PVPU1AND2

I did not install the System OR Software Update that is in my notification list after activation. (Pretty much same rules were for the HTC Evo 4G LTE, it would update the bootloader to a version that was considered "unmoddable" at the time) and for that phone it was also called "S-OFF" (S stood for Security) - Im guessing Knox is somewhat similar...?

Also, what is the preferred root method for the G900P? I only know of towelroot and CF-Auto-Root (sp?) - I know Chainfire makes apps specifically for Samsung devices, but read an old post on another site that CF's method will "trip" Knox... is that still accurate?

Just wanted to be 100% confident in what I'm doing, before I attempt anything. (Again, I have a lot of experience in HTC devices; not so much with Samsung) :/

Any help regarding my device and acquiring root without "tripping" Knox is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance! - zmag
13th August 2014, 02:49 PM   |  #2  
Flag Rock Chalk
Thanks Meter: 692

1,972 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmag

Just read some posts in the towelroot forum, and I had some questions - but first, a little about me:

I'm coming from an HTC Evo 4g LTE (Sprint) and I just switched to Ting (uses all Sprint towers & devices, just an a-la-carte payment plan as opposed to monthly)

Anywho, all this Knox business (and acquiring root for the S5) is new to me (but I am no newbie when it comes to root, just my first time owning a Samsung device.) I havent even had this phone for 24 hours yet.

Just wanted to know what build/kernel/Android version you were on when you attempted towelroot?

I am on Android 4.4.2 - Build: KOT49H.G900PVPU1AND2

I did not install the System OR Software Update that is in my notification list after activation. (Pretty much same rules were for the HTC Evo 4G LTE, it would update the bootloader to a version that was considered "unmoddable" at the time) and for that phone it was also called "S-OFF" (S stood for Security) - Im guessing Knox is somewhat similar...?

Also, what is the preferred root method for the G900P? I only know of towelroot and CF-Auto-Root (sp?) - I know Chainfire makes apps specifically for Samsung devices, but read an old post on another site that CF's method will "trip" Knox... is that still accurate?

Just wanted to be 100% confident in what I'm doing, before I attempt anything. (Again, I have a lot of experience in HTC devices; not so much with Samsung) :/

Any help regarding my device and acquiring root without "tripping" Knox is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance! - zmag

Check out the root thread sticky in general section.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
13th August 2014, 10:56 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 2

85 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCallahan

Check out the root thread sticky in general section.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

To add to this I just purchased a S5 coming after an S1 and S3.

I am wondering if I have to worry about any updates on sprint locking me out. My S3 is on Verizon and luckily I rooted it before they came out with the update that locked it out. Can I go to the newest version that my phone wants to update me to without any fears of being locked out in the future?
14th August 2014, 05:43 PM   |  #4  
Flag Rock Chalk
Thanks Meter: 692

1,972 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JurKZ

To add to this I just purchased a S5 coming after an S1 and S3.

I am wondering if I have to worry about any updates on sprint locking me out. My S3 is on Verizon and luckily I rooted it before they came out with the update that locked it out. Can I go to the newest version that my phone wants to update me to without any fears of being locked out in the future?

Currently for the Sprint 900P (not the 860 Sport) NE5 is the latest build and I have not heard of anything being patched to not allow root.

However, it is best practice to always wait on taking any new Sprint updates until the devs have time to look into it and make sure root is still possible. There is no way for anyone to know what Sprint/Samsung/Google will patch in future updates. It usually only takes the dev community about a day or so to confirm whether existing root methods will still work.
Last edited by CCallahan; 14th August 2014 at 05:46 PM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread