[Q] Google wallet tap to pay not working

OP muppetman462

16th August 2014, 02:18 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 31

295 posts
Greetings,
I've recently switched over from the Samsung galaxy s3 to the m8. I have my phone rooted, but currently on the stock rom. I have Google wallet installed on my phone, and tried to us the tap and pay function at McDonalds. I was unable to get the NFC function to work. I know the store terminal works because I used my stock nexus 7 (not rooted) a few months ago to get some coffee there.

I had the same issue on my s3, but I was running cyanogenmod on the phone, and I thought that was the problem. Now I'm wondering if it's having root access. Anyone else having problems with tap to pay on their rooted phone?
16th August 2014, 02:30 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 178

958 posts
Donate to Me
Maybe the store terminal broke since... A few months cab do that try a different store

Sent from my 831C using XDA Free mobile app
10th September 2014, 03:51 AM   |  #3  
Flag Gray, TN
Thanks Meter: 19

169 posts
More
I'm having the same issue. For me, the problem started when I switched from a Sprint-specific ROM to Viper ROM (intl base). After 2 minutes of bashing my phone against the terminal at McDonald's, it did finally work. But it is not working instantly like it used to, and it acts like nothing is happening. I know it's not McDonald's terminal because it happens at another McDonald's and Walgreens where previously it was working fine. Tapping my phone to another NFC phone works so NFC itself is working.

I don't really feel like going back to a different ROM over this, but it is annoying.
10th September 2014, 05:17 PM   |  #4  
Flag Flint
Thanks Meter: 326

523 posts
More
Only place I have has issues is one checkout lane at meijer. Felt like pretty stupid last night since I left my wallet at home. Cancelled my order, went to a different Lane and it worked fine. So for me at least it's not an issue with the phone
Today, 08:53 AM   |  #5  
Flag Gray, TN
Thanks Meter: 19

169 posts
More
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I still cannot get tap and pay to work. The light on the NFC reader at walgreens will blink once when I tap it, but there is zero activity on the phone even though google wallet says "tap and pay ready". Doesn't work at McDonalds either. Friend can use his Note 3 just fine with google wallet in those locations so I know it's not the NFC reader.

I have tried RUU back to the latest stock ROM, no dice. I re-locked my bootloader and RUU'd back to the oldest available HK ROM and did all the OTAs, still same exact issue. I have not been restoring from backup either so my phone is basically 100% stock now non-rooted. The only difference is it's S-OFF, but I've been S-OFF since June and my tap and pay was working until early September so I don't think that's it. I can use NFC to share things with other phones so I know my NFC is fine.

I'm completely stumped.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread