Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,571 Members 54,253 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Google Voice & Persistent Voicemail Notification

Tip us?

polkadots
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Default Google Voice & Persistent Voicemail Notification

OK...couple of issues at play here, I think.

First, I'm on a stock, non-rooted M8 - received the latest OTA update, but the issue(s) I have, I have been having since I started using the phone.

I have Google Voice installed and use it for my voicemail app - I did this on my S3 that I had (rooted, CM10 - I think it was CM10) and it worked great. I'd miss a call, get a voicemail, get a notification...I'd click the notification and it played the voicemail within the dialer app.

On my M8, I miss a call and get a notification for a VM...I click the VM notification and sometimes it does nothing, other times it takes me to my call history/log. No way to play the voicemail. I have to manually clear the notification, and then open the Google Voice app and listen to the voicemail.

FIRST - Is there a way to click the notification and have the voicemail play back natively?

SECOND - Assuming I can't do what I want I have an even bigger issue...Even after I listen to the VM in Google Voice I get notifications that I have new voicemails...They are "new" in that I never listened to them so GV views them as "new" but they're months (years?) old. Typical scenario...I miss a call, get a VM, open up GV and listen to the VM (maybe delete it, maybe not), and go about my business. No VM notifications...until I get a new text message...then my phone goes crazy and dings/beeps something like a dozen times and my VM notification is back. GV is alerting me to "new" VMs that I've long since dismissed the notification for...anything I can do about that?

Thanks!
Cheers,
Aubrey

amallama
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by polkadots View Post
OK...couple of issues at play here, I think.

First, I'm on a stock, non-rooted M8 - received the latest OTA update, but the issue(s) I have, I have been having since I started using the phone.

I have Google Voice installed and use it for my voicemail app - I did this on my S3 that I had (rooted, CM10 - I think it was CM10) and it worked great. I'd miss a call, get a voicemail, get a notification...I'd click the notification and it played the voicemail within the dialer app.

On my M8, I miss a call and get a notification for a VM...I click the VM notification and sometimes it does nothing, other times it takes me to my call history/log. No way to play the voicemail. I have to manually clear the notification, and then open the Google Voice app and listen to the voicemail.

FIRST - Is there a way to click the notification and have the voicemail play back natively?

SECOND - Assuming I can't do what I want I have an even bigger issue...Even after I listen to the VM in Google Voice I get notifications that I have new voicemails...They are "new" in that I never listened to them so GV views them as "new" but they're months (years?) old. Typical scenario...I miss a call, get a VM, open up GV and listen to the VM (maybe delete it, maybe not), and go about my business. No VM notifications...until I get a new text message...then my phone goes crazy and dings/beeps something like a dozen times and my VM notification is back. GV is alerting me to "new" VMs that I've long since dismissed the notification for...anything I can do about that?

Thanks!

i would just delete/remove them from google voice itself

UgetDeltWit
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Default Same deal here

Yeah this can be annoying. Hope someone knows a fix. Thanks.