Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Question [Q] I can't find updated info on getting this phone S-OFF + Rooted anywhere?

OP DethMetalz69

16th December 2014, 03:33 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Orland, CA
Thanks Meter: 35

189 posts
Donate to Me
More
I unlocked my bootloader and flashed TWRP and rooted through that, and now i am wanting to flash a rom, but firewater is gone. How do i go about flashing Viper/Slim? Can i do it without S-Off, is there a way to achieve S-Off? EDIT: Im on sprint!
16th December 2014, 04:16 AM   |  #2  
Flag Pittsburgh
Thanks Meter: 1,408

3,329 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMetalz69

I unlocked my bootloader and flashed TWRP and rooted through that, and now i am wanting to flash a rom, but firewater is gone. How do i go about flashing Viper/Slim? Can i do it without S-Off, is there a way to achieve S-Off? EDIT: Im on sprint!

you have to flash superuser to get root then flash a rom, you don't need s-off, depending on what rom you flash, if it won't boot after flashing just flash the boot.img from the rom zip and you're good to go.
18th December 2014, 09:49 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Orland, CA
Thanks Meter: 35

189 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldo101t

you have to flash superuser to get root then flash a rom, you don't need s-off, depending on what rom you flash, if it won't boot after flashing just flash the boot.img from the rom zip and you're good to go.

Will that give me R/W permissions?
18th December 2014, 12:52 PM   |  #4  
Flag Pittsburgh
Thanks Meter: 1,408

3,329 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMetalz69

Will that give me R/W permissions?

not completely.
19th December 2014, 07:27 PM   |  #5  
Flag Nashville, TN
Thanks Meter: 99

317 posts
More
I feel your pain. It seems that the newer ROMs almost require S-Off now for ease of installation, mainly due to the need of having updated firmware. I've never understood where the line is drawn between ROMs being 'based' off certain firmware, compared to the firmware actually installed on the phone (visible in Bootloader). Apparently they can be mixed-and-matched to a point? With Firewater now discontinued, it is getting very difficult to obtain S-Off, especially if (like me) you are on HBoot 1.57. I don't really care about being S-Off as long as I can update the firmware some other way like fastboot flashing an img file, but I don't know (a) if it would work, and (b) if it would it fubar my existing ROM?
20th December 2014, 02:19 AM   |  #6  
Flag Colombo
Thanks Meter: 85

572 posts
Donate to Me
More
What do you mean by firewater is gone?So you are s-on.Twrp.Rooted right?Which hboot are you on?1.57?There is a way
20th December 2014, 03:47 AM   |  #7  
Flag Nashville, TN
Thanks Meter: 99

317 posts
More
According to the website, Firewater has been discontinued, and the download is no longer available. Yes, I am personally unlocked, rooted, s-on, hboot 1.57, TWRP.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread