Streamline Android Theme Customization with Graphic Porter

I dont have a custom theme on my Android phone, and the reason for this is because … more

Boost the Brightness of Your Sony Xperia Z1’s LED

I think the last time anyone has ever used a physical torch to find their earphones, … more

XDA Xposed Tuesday: Modify the Look of Your Volume Control – XDA TV

How many screenshots have you seen with a volume status bar in the … more

Prepare Your Nokia X2 for Battle with Nokia X2 Tools

Unveiled in June this year, the Nokia X2 is the Finnish companys second crack at an … more

[Q] Ad blocker not working on rooted G3

31st August 2014, 04:56 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
Hello all!

About two weeks ago, I used the "stump root" method to root my G3. The root worked according to the root checker app as it verified that I am rooted. On my previous phone, the Galaxy S3, I used AdFree by bigtincan, and it worked like a charm by blocking all ads, including YouTube, reddit, and any in-browser ads.

So, naturally, I downloaded AdFree to use on my G3. But the problem is, it doesn't seem to be blocking many/any ads at all. The ads in my redditisfun app are not there, but I still get YouTube ads and ads still appear in Google Chrome while browsing the web. Does anybody have an explanation for this, or possibly another ad blocker that will work for all ads?

Thanks in advance!
31st August 2014, 05:32 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,075

1,863 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by brain56

Hello all!

About two weeks ago, I used the "stump root" method to root my G3. The root worked according to the root checker app as it verified that I am rooted. On my previous phone, the Galaxy S3, I used AdFree by bigtincan, and it worked like a charm by blocking all ads, including YouTube, reddit, and any in-browser ads.

So, naturally, I downloaded AdFree to use on my G3. But the problem is, it doesn't seem to be blocking many/any ads at all. The ads in my redditisfun app are not there, but I still get YouTube ads and ads still appear in Google Chrome while browsing the web. Does anybody have an explanation for this, or possibly another ad blocker that will work for all ads?

Thanks in advance!

Give this a shot. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=55051253
31st August 2014, 06:27 PM   |  #3  
Flag the Grove! Oregon
Thanks Meter: 44

166 posts
I've been using Adaway for a couple weeks with no issues but I don't have first hand knowledge of those particular apps.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2190753
31st August 2014, 11:29 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 3

47 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by piaa_nissan

I've been using Adaway for a couple weeks with no issues but I don't have first hand knowledge of those particular apps.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2190753

Adaway works great from first day of root
3rd September 2014, 04:08 PM   |  #5  
Flag Newark
Thanks Meter: 33

156 posts
More
I have Adaway and I can help you with Chrome ads. In Chrome there is an option under bandwidth management called reduce data usage, that needs to be off for adaway to work with Chrome.
YouTube ads unfortunately are no longer blocked by adaway automatically, there is a way to make it block the ads but I can't remember exactly what it is. You can find the information on that in the adaway thread. It does prevent the preview images from loading but that's the only issue with doing that. There is an xposed module to block YouTube ads though.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
18th September 2014, 02:59 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 108

966 posts
Im using adaway with no issues as well

Sent from my LGLS990 using XDA Free mobile app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread