Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,702 Members 45,144 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Ad blocker not working on rooted G3

Tip us?

brain56
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Ad blocker not working on rooted G3

Hello all!

About two weeks ago, I used the "stump root" method to root my G3. The root worked according to the root checker app as it verified that I am rooted. On my previous phone, the Galaxy S3, I used AdFree by bigtincan, and it worked like a charm by blocking all ads, including YouTube, reddit, and any in-browser ads.

So, naturally, I downloaded AdFree to use on my G3. But the problem is, it doesn't seem to be blocking many/any ads at all. The ads in my redditisfun app are not there, but I still get YouTube ads and ads still appear in Google Chrome while browsing the web. Does anybody have an explanation for this, or possibly another ad blocker that will work for all ads?

Thanks in advance!

engine95
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by brain56 View Post
Hello all!

About two weeks ago, I used the "stump root" method to root my G3. The root worked according to the root checker app as it verified that I am rooted. On my previous phone, the Galaxy S3, I used AdFree by bigtincan, and it worked like a charm by blocking all ads, including YouTube, reddit, and any in-browser ads.

So, naturally, I downloaded AdFree to use on my G3. But the problem is, it doesn't seem to be blocking many/any ads at all. The ads in my redditisfun app are not there, but I still get YouTube ads and ads still appear in Google Chrome while browsing the web. Does anybody have an explanation for this, or possibly another ad blocker that will work for all ads?

Thanks in advance!
Give this a shot. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=55051253
Thanks to HPTesla and PartimusPrime!!! Whoohoo!!

piaa_nissan
Old
Thanks Meter 44
I've been using Adaway for a couple weeks with no issues but I don't have first hand knowledge of those particular apps.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2190753

jionny
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by piaa_nissan View Post
I've been using Adaway for a couple weeks with no issues but I don't have first hand knowledge of those particular apps.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2190753
Adaway works great from first day of root

Frostbiter
Old
Thanks Meter 33
I have Adaway and I can help you with Chrome ads. In Chrome there is an option under bandwidth management called reduce data usage, that needs to be off for adaway to work with Chrome.
YouTube ads unfortunately are no longer blocked by adaway automatically, there is a way to make it block the ads but I can't remember exactly what it is. You can find the information on that in the adaway thread. It does prevent the preview images from loading but that's the only issue with doing that. There is an xposed module to block YouTube ads though.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

sand1303
Old
Thanks Meter 108
Im using adaway with no issues as well

Sent from my LGLS990 using XDA Free mobile app