Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Is there a method to improving the LTE signal reception?

OP savannahmick

31st August 2014, 04:05 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Savannah Georgia
Thanks Meter: 5

126 posts
More
I recently got a Sprint LG G3 and since then my LTE coverage has been worse than it was with my Samsung S3. I have been having it drop to 3g very often and a mobile device is only as good as its signal! I am rooted with Xposed, Tweaks ,and app settings installed. I just installed the secret code app also but not sure what I can do to improve my signal. Thanks for any advice!
31st August 2014, 09:54 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 10

55 posts
This is an issue with all the new Sprint Spark devices (Galaxy S5, LG G3 etc). It's because of a change in the way data and voice is handled. Once Sprint starts Voice over LTE on their towers, there won't be a handover from LTE to 3G towers so things will work better but when that will happen is up in the air. Just google "Sprint Spark LTE signal issues".

https://community.sprint.com/baw/message/820848

Quote:
Originally Posted by savannahmick

I recently got a Sprint LG G3 and since then my LTE coverage has been worse than it was with my Samsung S3. I have been having it drop to 3g very often and a mobile device is only as good as its signal! I am rooted with Xposed, Tweaks ,and app settings installed. I just installed the secret code app also but not sure what I can do to improve my signal. Thanks for any advice!

31st August 2014, 10:15 PM   |  #3  
Flag H-Town
Thanks Meter: 132

723 posts
More
aside from ensuring you have the latest firmware which you should since there hasn't been an update since ship, there is nothing that can physically improve the performance of the hardware e.g. cellular radio without hacking/modifying the antenna itself or forcing the RIL to push more decibels which will likely cause more problems. Keep in mind Sprint may be doing repairs/upgrades in your city which may contribute to outages or drops in signal strength.
1st September 2014, 04:15 AM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Savannah Georgia
Thanks Meter: 5

126 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionikz03

aside from ensuring you have the latest firmware which you should since there hasn't been an update since ship, there is nothing that can physically improve the performance of the hardware e.g. cellular radio without hacking/modifying the antenna itself or forcing the RIL to push more decibels which will likely cause more problems. Keep in mind Sprint may be doing repairs/upgrades in your city which may contribute to outages or drops in signal strength.

Ok thanks for the replies and hopefully it gets better soon cause I dropped my local cable/WiFi service due to price of services! I am going to get some kind of WiFi soon. Any suggestions on best service for just WiFi? One more thing u guess there's no way to force LTE to stay connected even at one bar? Thanks Again!
3rd September 2014, 11:15 PM   |  #5  
Flag H-Town
Thanks Meter: 132

723 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by savannahmick

Ok thanks for the replies and hopefully it gets better soon cause I dropped my local cable/WiFi service due to price of services! I am going to get some kind of WiFi soon. Any suggestions on best service for just WiFi? One more thing u guess there's no way to force LTE to stay connected even at one bar? Thanks Again!

Before Sprint went dual band antennas with LTE/CDMA coming from the same location, you could change the network mode to LTE only like on the SGS3 but not anymore with Spark devices. At least not natively without root. Even with root it would require some hacking. As far as Wifi for home, i use comcast. If u just get internet with them it's not bad but if u bundle cable it can get pricey quick. Good luck!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread