Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,022 Members 53,243 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Cracked screen and other issues

Tip us?

mrush
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27
Default Cracked screen and other issues

Ok guys, the nightmare came true and I dropped my phone just a couple of days after getting it. Didn't have a case and cracks the top right hand corner of the screen, which doesn't affect it's usability or the touch screen. It's relatively minor but it still totally bothers me.

I also have been having overheating problems and massive battery drain. Despite my efforts to get to the bottom of it, nothing has really worked...

So my question is, do you think I will have a problem getting another handset in the Sprint store since I already dropped it? Anyone know their policy on replacing a damaged phone yet for reasons besides that... I am still within my two weeks of getting this phone and my new plan. Any insight?

Sent from my LGLS990 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

fgcchevy
Old
Thanks Meter 112

DONATE TO ME
In my experience with my local store, they will say that the dropping of the phone lead to the cracking of the screen as well as the internal effects you are having with it. They look for anything to get out of exchanging a handset at my local sprint shop.

I once took them an s3 that was having software issues, even after many factory resets. Instead of going ahead and replacing my device, with Mt insurance, she took the phone apart to look for water damage. The outside indicator was not showing water damage but the inside indicator was. So she said we had to file a claim. I argued with her about it, because that phone had never been dropped in water. Why would the outside indicator not show water damage but the inside show some? Anyway sprint did it right with the issue, but I'm just saying, they look for any reason not to exchange your device at no cost.

Sent from my Black Lg G3

Henri Blanche
Old
(Last edited by Henri Blanche; 23rd July 2014 at 12:02 AM.)
Thanks Meter 10
The exact same thing happened to me when I had a two-month old GS2 and I brought it into a Sprint store and asked what my options were. The nice lady behind the counter said that while technically she shouldn't help me she would be willing to swap out phones gratis. The only catch was that the new phone would be refurbished. So I went home and backed up everything and performed a factory reset. And when I returned I was able to swap out phones hassle-free. She even correctly guessed upon examination that my phone was rooted and didn't care. The refurbished phone looked brand new; the only way to tell it was refurbished was the internal flag which I checked out of curiosity. I kept the battery from the original phone; otherwise it was truly a fabulous experience.

That all said, I have a feeling that this was a rather unique set of circumstances and I really don't know what they'll say about a two-week old LG G3. I strongly suspect you're going to have more trouble than I did.

Best of luck!

Rally187
Old
Thanks Meter 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrush View Post
Ok guys, the nightmare came true and I dropped my phone just a couple of days after getting it. Didn't have a case and cracks the top right hand corner of the screen, which doesn't affect it's usability or the touch screen. It's relatively minor but it still totally bothers me.

I also have been having overheating problems and massive battery drain. Despite my efforts to get to the bottom of it, nothing has really worked...

So my question is, do you think I will have a problem getting another handset in the Sprint store since I already dropped it? Anyone know their policy on replacing a damaged phone yet for reasons besides that... I am still within my two weeks of getting this phone and my new plan. Any insight?

im assuming you dont have insurance? idk about you guys but with framily plan i pay 50 bucks a month with unlimited and insurance. good deal. anyway YEA the same thing happened to me with my evo 3d i dropped it and my phone went crazy i couldnt mount it and it was rooted they swapped it out in the store anyway. I hear a lot of stories about bad experiences so i feel lucky to have a good store to go to. But its sure worth a try. are you doing the easy pay? a lot of times they will fix the screen for free if you are.

R2DeeTard
Old
Thanks Meter 91
Sprint has always been good to me about fixing/replacing devices. I cracked my screen on a Galaxy Nexus, I took it in to the local store and they told me to come back in an hour. When i came back i was treated to a brand new screen at no additional cost. I'm just speaking for myself of course, im not saying they WONT charge you, but their customer service in my experience is very good.

Marcm15
Old
Thanks Meter 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2DeeTard View Post
Sprint has always been good to me about fixing/replacing devices. I cracked my screen on a Galaxy Nexus, I took it in to the local store and they told me to come back in an hour. When i came back i was treated to a brand new screen at no additional cost. I'm just speaking for myself of course, im not saying they WONT charge you, but their customer service in my experience is very good.
I've had similar good experiences with a Sprint authorized repair center in my area but after they closed and I had to deal with a corporate store the service level dropped to what many others describe as horrible.

I guess it depends on where you end up taking the phone but I would try and stay away from corporate locations...

Koroz
Old
(Last edited by Koroz; 26th July 2014 at 01:50 AM.)
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm15 View Post
I've had similar good experiences with a Sprint authorized repair center in my area but after they closed and I had to deal with a corporate store the service level dropped to what many others describe as horrible.

I guess it depends on where you end up taking the phone but I would try and stay away from corporate locations...
It's funny that this is the case, because I find the same thing here in my area. While I was with Big Red, you NEVER wanted to go anywhere but a corporate store because you would get horrible service (in THIS area), with Sprint is the absolute exact opposite, I will never go into a corporate store unless I am specifically instructed that I have to for whatever I am trying to get done. The customer service is at least here, horrible in comparison. I am actually stressin myself because my phone has started (of course on the 14th day!) to lock up every hour or so and I can't use the screen. It requires a battery pull. Everyday this phone starts to worry me a little more.

sinisin
Old
Thanks Meter 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koroz View Post
It's funny that this is the case, because I find the same thing here in my area. While I was with Big Red, you NEVER wanted to go anywhere but a corporate store because you would get horrible service (in THIS area), with Sprint is the absolute exact opposite, I will never go into a corporate store unless I am specifically instructed that I have to for whatever I am trying to get done. The customer service is at least here, horrible in comparison. I am actually stressin myself because my phone has started (of course on the 14th day!) to lock up every hour or so and I can't use the screen. It requires a battery pull. Everyday this phone starts to worry me a little more.
Get off ART.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
LG G3 LGLS990-Stock-Current

Acer Iconia A200 Picasso_E/OmniRom Android 4.4.4 OC 1.5Ghz-Current

Samsung Galaxy SIII SPH-L710 d2spr/CM11 Nightlies OC 1.78Ghz
HTC Evo 4G PC36000/CM7.2 OC 1.2Ghz-Dropped n Smashed
Samsung Gravity Smart T589/Stock Rooted-Worst Phone EVER!!
HTC Sensation 4G TMOUS/CM7.2 OC 1.9Ghz-Stolen
Huawei Ascend 2 M865/Stock Rooted-Sold
2 Sanyo Zio by Kyocera M6000/Stock Rooted OC 0.9Ghz-Sold 2

mrush
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinisin View Post
Get off ART.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
What is this I keep hearing about ART?

Koroz
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrush View Post
What is this I keep hearing about ART?

I didn't have mine on, but its a different way android handles applications on the phone. Will be the "standard" once all the bugs are worked out.