Otg support

OP maxdiablodefy

22nd June 2014, 08:45 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Durgapur
Thanks Meter: 73

213 posts
More
Does Galaxy tab 4 t231 have USB otg support? If not, can it be enabled by any method? Planning to buy this tablet. Please answer.. Thank you for your time

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
24th June 2014, 07:35 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 1

40 posts
Would really love to know this too. It's my understanding previous versions of the Galaxy Tab support USB OTG, and would love to enable it on the Tab 4.

On my smartphone I have an option in settings to turn OTG on and off, unfortunately no option seems to exist on my Tab4. Assuming the Tab 4 has hardware support for it, how would I go about enabling OTG?
25th June 2014, 06:54 PM   |  #3  
Syracuse

6 posts
More
Bump...

Would LOVE a solution as well~!
28th June 2014, 08:18 AM   |  #4  
Flag Phoenix
Thanks Meter: 131

1,249 posts
More
Ran USB Diagnostics. As of now there is no support whatsoever but a custom ROM or Kernel may be able to enable it. I suppose there is a slight chance since the larger variants have OTG support and the hardware is similar.

Edit: Playing around with some OTG apps, it appears that we do not have hardware support so there's about 70-90% chance the tablet will purely not support it and trying to do so would be impossible.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using XDA Free mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1403936278145.jpg
Views:	681
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	2821693   Click image for larger version

Name:	1403936291461.jpg
Views:	600
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	2821694  
Last edited by 404-Not Found; 28th June 2014 at 09:22 AM.
3rd July 2014, 02:13 AM   |  #5  

40 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 404-Not Found

Ran USB Diagnostics. As of now there is no support whatsoever but a custom ROM or Kernel may be able to enable it. I suppose there is a slight chance since the larger variants have OTG support and the hardware is similar.

Edit: Playing around with some OTG apps, it appears that we do not have hardware support so there's about 70-90% chance the tablet will purely not support it and trying to do so would be impossible.

I ran that same app on my Tab4 as well, unfortunately I wasn't able to understand everything the app told me so I concluded OTG support on the Tab4 was inconclusive =P

Considering OTG is supported on the other Galaxy Tab devices, what reasoning would Samsung have to not enable this feature on the Tab4 7.0? Especially if the hardware is the same (or very similar) it just doesn't make any sense to me why they wouldn't give the Tab4 7.0 OTG support as well. It's actually very frustrating in 2014 that this Tab doesn't support OTG. I am almost considering returning it solely for this reason (I haven't yet, because I'm very pleased with everything else the Tab4 has to offer).

My cheap, Chinese sub $100 android ICS tablet I bought last year had OTG support! What gives Samsung? I sort of expect more from a major brand like Samsung.
3rd July 2014, 02:22 AM   |  #6  
Flag Phoenix

1,249 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by osiris010

I ran that same app on my Tab4 as well, unfortunately I wasn't able to understand everything the app told me so I concluded OTG support on the Tab4 was inconclusive =P

Considering OTG is supported on the other Galaxy Tab devices, what reasoning would Samsung have to not enable this feature on the Tab4 7.0? Especially if the hardware is the same (or very similar) it just doesn't make any sense to me why they wouldn't give the Tab4 7.0 OTG support as well. It's actually very frustrating in 2014 that this Tab doesn't support OTG. I am almost considering returning it solely for this reason (I haven't yet, because I'm very pleased with everything else the Tab4 has to offer).

My cheap, Chinese sub $100 android ICS tablet I bought last year had OTG support! What gives Samsung? I sort of expect more from a major brand like Samsung.

So, I may be wrong but I believe the problem may be in chip set itself, since its Marvell CPU (I never heard of this company). However, the Tab 3 also carried an older Marvell CPU, which they were able to overcome this problem with a custom Kernel. So, may be this tablet has slight chance of having OTG support but Scumbag Samsung decided that they don't the cheaper tablet to sell.

3rd July 2014, 06:41 AM   |  #7  

40 posts
Quote:

So, I may be wrong but I believe the problem may be in chip set itself, since its Marvell CPU (I never heard of this company). However, the Tab 3 also carried an older Marvell CPU, which they were able to overcome this problem with a custom Kernel. So, may be this tablet has slight chance of having OTG support but Scumbag Samsung decided that they don't the cheaper tablet to sell.

Well I'll certainly be holding out on that slight chance for OTG support lol. I was really looking forward to using my tab 4 as a second display with DSLR Controller, so you can imagine my disappointment when it didn't work =/

Either way, if a dev ends up seeing this and wants to implement this feature, let me know if I can do anything help (beta testing custom kernels) or whatever, just let me know. I'm more than willing to help move this forward, even if it ends up not working.
14th August 2014, 09:51 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 0

29 posts
Hi, on my t235 otg works. For now i've tested it inly with usb storage sticks (8gb tdk, 8gb toshiba and 16gb verbatim) - stock file manager and total commander fully works with it. I dont have any mouse or keyboard to check that it works on otg.

Sent from my SM-T235 using XDA Free mobile app
15th August 2014, 04:58 AM   |  #9  
Flag Phoenix

1,249 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolpet3

Hi, on my t235 otg works. For now i've tested it inly with usb storage sticks (8gb tdk, 8gb toshiba and 16gb verbatim) - stock file manager and total commander fully works with it. I dont have any mouse or keyboard to check that it works on otg.

Sent from my SM-T235 using XDA Free mobile app

Correct, but 230 =/= 235. 235> 230.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520
28th August 2014, 04:59 AM   |  #10  

10 posts
More
Quote:

Correct, but 230 =/= 235. 235> 230.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520

Someone managed to root?