After trying several other methods posted in these forums for the SM-T230NU, kingoapp was the only one that worked on my stock rom dated Thursday May 8th. I'm going to install "D9" rom and follow this whole procedcure but so far so good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by agriff View Post
I think I made some progress on this. This is how I got rooted with a custom recovery that will flash zips....

To be clear, this is on the Galaxy Tab 4, wifi only, US Model Samsung Tab 4 7' 8g SM-T230NU (Purchased at Costco) SM-T230NZWSXAR

If a helpful developer can assist me with creating the proper "updater-script" for the ROM, I should have a stock rooted T230NUUEU0ANH1 ROM, with the stock kernel from the Canadian version, ready to flash through TWRP very quickly.

The process:

Odin back to the first available firmware for the model T230NUUEU0AND9

Root the Tablet with Kingo Root (instead of vroot) http://www.kingoapp.com/
I believe this root version is still based on the original Chinese version of vroot. However, at least the creator of Kingo has come on xda and tried to explain why his root works the way it does. Most importantly, he has removed any traces of the Chinese Superuser and replaced it with tried and true SuperSU. A quick comparison of new files after rooting shows nothing suspicious left over after the rooting process.

Odin Flash TWRP 2.8.0.1 for t230 (The version on their site that is supposed to be for the T-Mobile version of the t230). I used Odin version 3.07
For me, recovery sticks after reboot. I believe the latest H1 4.4.2 ROM for the Tablet is set up to reflash stock recovery after reboot, whereas D9 is not.

That's it. Try flashing SuperSU from new recovery and you should see that all is working. USB adb is still not working, as stated by TWRP, but that does not preclude us from flashing on the device.

Again, if anyone can help me with the updater-script, I would really appreciate it. I have been working on one but don't trust myself enough to flash for fear of bricking. I would rather have one that a more experienced developer has confidence in.

Thanks. Let me know if you guys find success with this method.

---------- Post added at 02:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:13 PM ----------

Just followed this and it worked like a charm. I now have root and twrp recovery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCDinPGH View Post
After trying several other methods posted in these forums for the SM-T230NU, kingoapp was the only one that worked on my stock rom dated Thursday May 8th. I'm going to install "D9" rom and follow this whole procedcure but so far so good!