Google Confirms “Android Lollipop Day” for November 3rd

A little over a week ago, Google announced the latest iteration of … more

Get Your XDA 2015 Custom Avatar and Signature Images Here

As stated in our motto, XDA Developer is for developers, by developers. The … more

Pin Your Photos on Android Lollipop with Photo Pinner

In the last few weeks,we have been talking quite a bit about Android 5.0 Lollipop. This … more

Samsung Galaxy Note Edge Hands On – XDA TV

Perhaps one of the more peculiar announcements this year was the curved edge-screened … more

Question Weather dependent bitmaps

OP TheStretchedElf

3rd September 2014, 09:22 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 15

21 posts
I'm new to zooper and have been customising a home screen for a couple of days. One thing I wanted to do was to display a different image for each weather condition (yahoo weather).

I figured out that I can do this by having multiple bitmaps overlaid on each other, one for each weather condition, with the alpha value set to 0 if the relevant weather condition isn't detected.

With not knowing too much about zooper just yet it struck me that this might be a bit of a heavy handed approach, with potentially up to 48 bitmaps in the widget (according to the yahoo weather condition codes XML I found) each with their own advanced parameters being monitored.

So I suppose my question is, am I going about this the right way and will it be a huge drain on resources?
4th September 2014, 08:44 PM   |  #2  
OP Junior Member

21 posts
After reading this thread it seems I was right to think it felt heavy handed.

From what I've read, the right way to go about this is to have one bitmap layer with advanced parameters that display each picture only if the specific weather conditions are true.

Example:
Code:
$#WCCOND#=mostly cloudy?(b)/storage/emulated/0/ZooperWidget/Bitmaps/BlueBeacon/cloudy.jpg(/b)$
$#WCCOND#=sunny?(b)/storage/emulated/0/ZooperWidget/Bitmaps/BlueBeacon/sunny.jpg(/b)$
NB: The round brackets in the above code (b) (/b) should actually be square brackets but the forum turns this into bold.
4th September 2014, 11:13 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 62

38 posts
More
You could create an iconset instead, or grab an iconset from here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2084070 and replace the images with yours.
5th September 2014, 12:11 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

21 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlahey

You could create an iconset instead, or grab an iconset from here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2084070 and replace the images with yours.

Thanks for that, I'll look into it. Is there any advantage to going the icon route? And does it matter that my images are jpg photos (eg. a cloudy sky rather than a cloud clip art)?
5th September 2014, 02:58 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 62

38 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStretchedElf

Thanks for that, I'll look into it. Is there any advantage to going the icon route? And does it matter that my images are jpg photos (eg. a cloudy sky rather than a cloud clip art)?

An iconset is a lot easier to manage (use in different widgets, sharing etc) as it's just 1 zip file. And I believe jpg will work as long as you edit the image extensions in the iconset xml file.
5th September 2014, 03:21 PM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

21 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlahey

An iconset is a lot easier to manage (use in different widgets, sharing etc) as it's just 1 zip file. And I believe jpg will work as long as you edit the image extensions in the iconset xml file.

Thanks. Looks like I'll be creating my first icon set tonight then
The Following User Says Thank You to TheStretchedElf For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th September 2014, 11:33 PM   |  #7  
Flag Sco'land
Thanks Meter: 242

484 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStretchedElf

Thanks. Looks like I'll be creating my first icon set tonight then

Godspeed.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread