Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[GUIDE] [step-by-step] Make your Lenovo Tablet Yoga 2 830L able to handle voice calls

OP brasselv

23rd November 2014, 10:19 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 11

5 posts
The issue.
The Lenovo Tablet Yoga 2 8'', sold in Europe with product code 830L, handles Data connection with a SIM card, but does NOT make or receive voice calls.
A similar model, sold outside Europe with code 830LC, is able to make and receive voice calls out of the box (just like a phone)
-> If you bought the tablet in Europe, you can't make calls with it.

The solution
It appears that the model sold outside Europe (830LC), is not only similar but actually identical, hardware-wise, to the European model, ALBEIT with a a different firmware.
Basically, Lenovo took the 830LC tablet and removed the voice calling from the firmware, before selling it in Europe as 830L
-> SO: We are going to flash the 830L and enable the call functionality.

Why would Lenovo remove voice-calling from European models?
If you are puzzled by this - you are not the only one. It seems that there are legal reasons, i.e. Lenovo not having all the licenses to sell voice-calling tablets in Europe.
In any case, it's not the first time: the older Lenovo Yoga tablet (B6000 XX) also had two identical versions, the European one unable to make calls, unless you flashed the firmware. If you have the older model (2013), do NOT follow this guide, search instead for B6000 threads.

What you need
- A Lenovo Yoga 2 Tablet with product code 830L. You can find the model number on the back on the package, or in the "About tablet" section of the Android settings.
Notes:
a) if you have a different Lenovo tablet model, again, DO NOT try this. It will brick your tablet: firmware and tools are different for each model. Look instead for a guide specific to your model.
b) If you have the WiFi only version of the tablet, this process won't work, because the hardware is different.
- A Windows PC or laptop (I tested it on Windows 7)
- A MicroUSB cable
- Some files freely available on the net (read below)
- About half an hour time, if everything is smooth. Several hours or more, if something does not work

IMPORTANT Disclaimer
While this worked fine for me and for others, there is no guarantee that it will work for you.
Lenovo does NOT support this procedure. Your warranty will probably be void. Something can go wrong. You may brick your device if something goes wrong.

This is NOT for you, if:
1. You don't know what a "firmware" is
2. You have never flashed any hardware before
3. You don't understand some of the instructions below.
4. You are not ready to accept the risk of bricking your device.
5. You are not the type of person that has fun with this kind of stuff.
6. You have data on your device that is critical for you, with no backup and no replacement available.

Credits
I did not invent anything here, nor i created any of the files / tools / firmwares etc.
I just assembled info found around the net, mainly on Russian and Chinese sites. Credit to all those people, and to Google Translate
Main credits due to bodivas on xda / pro100gamer

Instructions

Ok, let's roll - here's the steps.

1) download the firmware for the Lenovo Tablet Yoga 2 830LC
a. here's a link to an international version that worked for me, and that will also root your tablet in the process: yadi.sk/d/w5bRAvCdcqCaz
b. if you don't want to root your tablet, there are unrooted firmwares available online, that you can look up. In theory, any firmware for the 830LC should probably work.
c. general rule: when you download something online and flash it on your hardware, use CAUTION. You are handing your home keys. Try to validate the source as much as possible.

2) download the firmware for the Lenovo Tablet Yoga 2 830L (yes, the firmware of *your* tablet. bear with me....)
a. google for this file: YT2-830L_USR_S000067_1410301707_WW21_ROW
b. I don't give a straight link because the one that i have used has disappeared in the meanwhile. I don't want to validate another source that I did not test.
c. btw: if someone has this firmware TESTED and can upload it somewhere, i will update this guide with a straight link.

3) download the flashing tool. Your tablet has an Intel core, so you will need the Intel flashing tool.
a. the file is called PhoneFlashTool, i used the 4.4.4.1 version found here: pan.baidu.com/wap/link?uk=86756550&shareid=735291514&third=0
b. this download page is in Chinese, the download link is the below the file name.
c. if the page does not work, ask google for a different download site: google.com/webhp?q=PhoneFlashTool_4.4.4.1#newwindow=1&q=Phone FlashTool_4.4.4.1
d. AGAIN: i will update the guide with a straight link in English if someone has one

4) install the flashing tool you downloaded in step 3 (PhoneFlashTool). For me, the tool was clever enough to figure all the needed drivers and set them up.

5) extract the firmwares you downloaded in step 1 and 2, to your local hard drive.

6) now, somewhat tricky part. In the firmware for 830L, find a file called "esp.img". Copy this file over to the file with the same name on the 830LC firmware files.
a. NOTE: I am not sure why this step is needed, but I followed it and it worked for me. If you know more, i will update the guide accordingly.

7) Just to be sure, reboot pc and tablet.

8) Now time to flash. Start the phoneflashtool. The instructions on screen are quite straightforward, but basically:
a. have the phoneflashtool ready and running
b. turn off your tablet and connect it
c. you will need to choose a file called "flash.xml" from the folder where you extracted the 830LC firmware. (click "Browse..." and find the file). This file will guide the flashing tool through the process.
d. when the flashphonetool recognizes your device, press the green "start flashing" button next to the name of your device.

EXTRA: If you have trouble with this part, here's a visual guide to the phoneflashtool: androidxda.com/flash-stock-rom-using-intel-phone-flash-tool
EXTRA2: If your device is not recognized by the phoneflashtool (i.e. , you don't see a green "connected to port X", and nothing happens when you try to flash), try the following:
I. power off your device if it is not off already
II. power on in recovery (press power+volume down together for a few seconds)
II. choose "droidboot" from the menu that appears. You should see a recovery menu in the device screen.
III. check if device is now recognized

e. when the tool starts flashing, let it work for a few minutes, the progress bar will show you that stuff is actually going on
f. when you get the message "done", your device is flashed.

9) if everything went smoothly, you can now disconnect your device and reboot.

10) You should now be able to make calls! you will have a dialer in your default installed apps. And the About in your device settings will now show 830LC as your phone model (instead of 830L)

Let me know if it worked for you.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to brasselv For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th November 2014, 10:44 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 0

17 posts
hello,can you posted a firmware for wifi version 1050F?
27th November 2014, 11:03 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 11

5 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawidek1258

hello,can you posted a firmware for wifi version 1050F?

Hi dawidek1258
I suggest that you take a look at this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...6#post56846955
... and / or search the forum for your model number.

important note: I don't know what you are trying to achieve, but please bear in mind that any WIFI version of the tablet CANNOT be flashed to use voice / wireless data. At least as far as i know: the hardware is different.
good luck
27th November 2014, 11:15 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 0

17 posts
you want say that i never cant root this version?
6th December 2014, 07:34 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 7

39 posts
Thank you for taking time and writing this tutorial. it works great.
Also, it might not be a bad idea to add a note to change the tablet's region codes back to your own country, after flashing this firmware.

Cheers
25th December 2014, 09:26 AM   |  #6  
Flag Ukraine - Novoselitsa
Thanks Meter: 604

367 posts
More
Rooted_YT2-830LC_USR_S000095_1412191502_WW21_ROW

I added all ota-updates and added the root.
You can install over old rom 830 LC, putting boot / recovery / system as on the screen:
Click image for larger version

Name:	11.PNG
Views:	300
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	3080854
But I suggest you install this old firmware without the root, update via ota and flashing above only rooted system.img

Download Stock Rooted_YT2-830LC_USR_S000095_1412191502_WW21_ROW
Last edited by bodivas; 25th December 2014 at 02:49 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bodivas For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th December 2014, 09:51 AM   |  #7  

39 posts
Thanks for the update.
I'll be sure to try it out later and give feedback.
By the way, will i lose my installed apps, going back and forth these firmware upgrades ? wouldn't it be better to do a factory reset / wipe the cache ?

Also, merry Christmas to all !
The Following User Says Thank You to 4VGU53R For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th December 2014, 11:19 AM   |  #8  

367 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4VGU53R

Thanks for the update.
I'll be sure to try it out later and give feedback.
By the way, will i lose my installed apps, going back and forth these firmware upgrades ? wouldn't it be better to do a factory reset / wipe the cache ?:

Wait for flash, i lost my imei after this rooted firmware..
25th December 2014, 11:38 AM   |  #9  

39 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodivas

Wait for flash, i lost my imei after this rooted firmware..

Oh, OK . i was literally a couple of minutes away from flashing it, and then i got an email for your message quote.
Thanks for the heads up !
25th December 2014, 12:44 PM   |  #10  

367 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4VGU53R

Oh, OK . i was literally a couple of minutes away from flashing it, and then i got an email for your message quote.
Thanks for the heads up !

do me a favor, try updating the firmware via ota 830LC without root and tell me if IMEI remains (because I did not understand when I lost my lmei)
Everything ok, you can flash. Not the fault of root - I always used in air mode and I did not notice when I lost my imei
Users confirm here:
http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?s=&sh...ost&p=36760212
Last edited by bodivas; 25th December 2014 at 03:16 PM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread