Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,424 Members 36,374 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Unlimited hotspot for AOSP or Stock? (New to G2)

Tip us?

tonyec7
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Default Unlimited hotspot for AOSP or Stock? (New to G2)

Coming from a note 3 I was wondering if there was a way to tether without network restrictions on either aosp or stock thanks

Sent from my LG-D801 using XDA Free mobile app

sandsofmyst
Old
Thanks Meter 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyec7 View Post
Coming from a note 3 I was wondering if there was a way to tether without network restrictions on either aosp or stock thanks

Sent from my LG-D801 using XDA Free mobile app
I just did some quick research and its a possibility...

On my phone (which is not carrier branded) a brief test shows that it works.

It appears if you bought your phone directly from a carrier (Verizon, Att, etc.) then it may get blocked on the official rom without a tether payment. For instance going into settings -> more -> tethering and hotspot would allow the carrier to disable data when enabled because its set up to do that on the phone (think software check).

But, it may then be possible to root the phone and either flash a new rom or possibly install a different tethering app from the play store to get around the carrier check since its mostly software based.

Other tethering can cause flags to be raised as well such as desktop browser identity being sent over the mobile data. Switching the desktop browser to a mobile identity could possibly help there.

But, I'm no expert after a only few minutes so don't quote me on any of it.
Moto G 4G | latest official rom 4.4.4NEW (Longest recorded uptime: 503 hours with 4.4.3)
Nook HD+ 32 | cm11 emmc official rom (331 hours is about the most I can get before forced reboot or other.)