Shoot Troubles, Not Users w/ Alex Boag-Munroe – XDA:DevCon 2014

In presenting the various sessions from XDA:DevCon 2014, weve mainly … more

Oppo Releases ColorOS for the Find 5… Poorly

Almost every OEM has taken the liberty of creating its own incarnation of the Android OS. … more

XDA LG Development Challenge Winners

Almost 3months ago, we set out with LGto findtwo amazing apps that developers could put together … more

Wearable Apps w/ Andreas Göransson – XDA:DevCon 2014

XDA:DevCon 2014 in Manchester, UK featured quite a few interesting topics as … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Tutorial [Q] Rooted but no Root access

OP sai.nissankula

1st July 2014, 11:40 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
8 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2012
More
Hi every one,

I currently am using an LG G2 from tmobile (801 model). My device says its rooted but it doesnt have root access because I forgot to flash supersu binaries before i flashed the 4.4.2 version of the software. But now my custom recovery doesnt exist anymore.

I've tried using LG flash tools to flash back to 4.2. stock settings to start over but I am unable to do so for some reason. LG Flash tools isnt able to recognize my G2 in download mode. My computer is able to recognize my G2 when it is turned on though.

So is there anyway to flash a custom recovery without root access?
Or is there anyway to flash supersu binaries without a custom recovery using ADB?

I've tried trouble shooting with multiple threads and multiple downgrade methods but none of them are giving me any luck. I really want to flash a custom rom on my LG g2 and have the benefits of root access.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
6th July 2014, 05:45 PM   |  #2  
Odysseus1962's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Miami
Thanks Meter: 456
 
555 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2013
More
Red face
Quote:
Originally Posted by sai.nissankula

Hi every one,

I currently am using an LG G2 from tmobile (801 model). My device says its rooted but it doesnt have root access because I forgot to flash supersu binaries before i flashed the 4.4.2 version of the software. But now my custom recovery doesnt exist anymore.

I've tried using LG flash tools to flash back to 4.2. stock settings to start over but I am unable to do so for some reason. LG Flash tools isnt able to recognize my G2 in download mode. My computer is able to recognize my G2 when it is turned on though.

So is there anyway to flash a custom recovery without root access?
Or is there anyway to flash supersu binaries without a custom recovery using ADB?

I've tried trouble shooting with multiple threads and multiple downgrade methods but none of them are giving me any luck. I really want to flash a custom rom on my LG g2 and have the benefits of root access.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

All you need to do is install the towelroot.apk to give instant temporary root. Then install SuperSU from the dev thread here on xda or from the play store. After installing SuperSU go to its settings and select install as a system app and reboot when finished. It might take 2 attempts before it successful (it always takes me 2 tries). Then uninstall towelroot as it's no longer required since you've gained permanent root. Now install the autorec.apk and you'll install TWRP recovery. Now that you have root and recovery and have control of your device you can customise to taste. In my case I always install busybox and a terminal emulator so I can further fine tune my system.

I hope this helps

Ciao
9th July 2014, 04:39 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
8 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2012
More
still got issues :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus1962

All you need to do is install the towelroot.apk to give instant temporary root. Then install SuperSU from the dev thread here on xda or from the play store. After installing SuperSU go to its settings and select install as a system app and reboot when finished. It might take 2 attempts before it successful (it always takes me 2 tries). Then uninstall towelroot as it's no longer required since you've gained permanent root. Now install the autorec.apk and you'll install TWRP recovery. Now that you have root and recovery and have control of your device you can customise to taste. In my case I always install busybox and a terminal emulator so I can further fine tune my system.

I hope this helps

Ciao

However even when i go into supersu, it keeps saying my binaries are not up to date. So i cant install anything and I cant do anything to install a custom recovery without root access.
10th July 2014, 04:06 AM   |  #4  
Odysseus1962's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Miami
Thanks Meter: 456
 
555 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sai.nissankula

However even when i go into supersu, it keeps saying my binaries are not up to date. So i cant install anything and I cant do anything to install a custom recovery without root access.

So you have installed Towelroot, achieved root then having issues installing the SuperSU.apk this is indeed an issue. Towelroot should allow for it to be installed. When you install Towelroot do you get the warnings from the installer and Lookout that the package contains an exploit? Do you interrupt or stop it from fully installing when you see the warnings? The only thing I can think of is you are doing something wrong when installing towelroot which is prohibiting it from doing its job in gaining root.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes