Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,035 Members 41,457 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Rooted but no Root access

Tip us?

sai.nissankula
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Tutorial [Q] Rooted but no Root access

Hi every one,

I currently am using an LG G2 from tmobile (801 model). My device says its rooted but it doesnt have root access because I forgot to flash supersu binaries before i flashed the 4.4.2 version of the software. But now my custom recovery doesnt exist anymore.

I've tried using LG flash tools to flash back to 4.2. stock settings to start over but I am unable to do so for some reason. LG Flash tools isnt able to recognize my G2 in download mode. My computer is able to recognize my G2 when it is turned on though.

So is there anyway to flash a custom recovery without root access?
Or is there anyway to flash supersu binaries without a custom recovery using ADB?

I've tried trouble shooting with multiple threads and multiple downgrade methods but none of them are giving me any luck. I really want to flash a custom rom on my LG g2 and have the benefits of root access.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Odysseus1962
Old
Thanks Meter 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by sai.nissankula View Post
Hi every one,

I currently am using an LG G2 from tmobile (801 model). My device says its rooted but it doesnt have root access because I forgot to flash supersu binaries before i flashed the 4.4.2 version of the software. But now my custom recovery doesnt exist anymore.

I've tried using LG flash tools to flash back to 4.2. stock settings to start over but I am unable to do so for some reason. LG Flash tools isnt able to recognize my G2 in download mode. My computer is able to recognize my G2 when it is turned on though.

So is there anyway to flash a custom recovery without root access?
Or is there anyway to flash supersu binaries without a custom recovery using ADB?

I've tried trouble shooting with multiple threads and multiple downgrade methods but none of them are giving me any luck. I really want to flash a custom rom on my LG g2 and have the benefits of root access.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
All you need to do is install the towelroot.apk to give instant temporary root. Then install SuperSU from the dev thread here on xda or from the play store. After installing SuperSU go to its settings and select install as a system app and reboot when finished. It might take 2 attempts before it successful (it always takes me 2 tries). Then uninstall towelroot as it's no longer required since you've gained permanent root. Now install the autorec.apk and you'll install TWRP recovery. Now that you have root and recovery and have control of your device you can customise to taste. In my case I always install busybox and a terminal emulator so I can further fine tune my system.

I hope this helps

Ciao
Current device: LG G2 (D801)
ROM: CloudyStock 2.5 KK-4.4.2 - Cloudyfa.
Kernel: SimpleKernel v6 - dr87.

Previous device: HTC Amaze 4G
Final ROM: CM-10 - Compiled and customized by me
To whoever stole it: What goes around comes around!

Previous device: HTC HD2 (TMOUS - LEO1024)
Final ROM: NexusHD2-JellyBean-CM10.1.3 v2.7 - Tytung
Had more lives than a cat
Lesson: If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
RIP

sai.nissankula
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default still got issues :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus1962 View Post
All you need to do is install the towelroot.apk to give instant temporary root. Then install SuperSU from the dev thread here on xda or from the play store. After installing SuperSU go to its settings and select install as a system app and reboot when finished. It might take 2 attempts before it successful (it always takes me 2 tries). Then uninstall towelroot as it's no longer required since you've gained permanent root. Now install the autorec.apk and you'll install TWRP recovery. Now that you have root and recovery and have control of your device you can customise to taste. In my case I always install busybox and a terminal emulator so I can further fine tune my system.

I hope this helps

Ciao
However even when i go into supersu, it keeps saying my binaries are not up to date. So i cant install anything and I cant do anything to install a custom recovery without root access.

Odysseus1962
Old
Thanks Meter 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by sai.nissankula View Post
However even when i go into supersu, it keeps saying my binaries are not up to date. So i cant install anything and I cant do anything to install a custom recovery without root access.
So you have installed Towelroot, achieved root then having issues installing the SuperSU.apk this is indeed an issue. Towelroot should allow for it to be installed. When you install Towelroot do you get the warnings from the installer and Lookout that the package contains an exploit? Do you interrupt or stop it from fully installing when you see the warnings? The only thing I can think of is you are doing something wrong when installing towelroot which is prohibiting it from doing its job in gaining root.
Current device: LG G2 (D801)
ROM: CloudyStock 2.5 KK-4.4.2 - Cloudyfa.
Kernel: SimpleKernel v6 - dr87.

Previous device: HTC Amaze 4G
Final ROM: CM-10 - Compiled and customized by me
To whoever stole it: What goes around comes around!

Previous device: HTC HD2 (TMOUS - LEO1024)
Final ROM: NexusHD2-JellyBean-CM10.1.3 v2.7 - Tytung
Had more lives than a cat
Lesson: If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
RIP