Official TWRP Recovery Lands on Micromax Canvas Magnus

With the recent release of Android One, Micromax and MediaTek released fully buildable … more

Update Overload: SuperSU Heavily Updated

There are apps and apps out there. Very few can reach the level of popularity required to stay at … more

Lollipop Leak Available for the Sprint Galaxy S5

Since the Android 5.0Lollipop’s official release not too long ago, we’ve seen … more

CPU Spy Gets an Android Lollipop Makeover

At some point in the distant past, you probably heard of CPU Spy for Android by XDARetired … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Modding dialer to being black

OP TheArtiszan

2nd July 2014, 04:53 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 96

871 posts
Hello,
I was wondering if there is anyone that might be able to give me a little advice.
I am decompiling the dialer app and trying to convert it to being a black dialer like the international version.
I am running into a problem after I recompile it to test it causes it not to work at all.
I am not sure if it needs to be signed or maybe there is a problem with the way the compile is working even though I am not getting any errors.
I have recompiled framework a few times and that has worked okay.
I am just trying to change the colors xml and have not changed any of the images, I am not sure if that might be an issue or not.
Or if I might even need to switch out the image files as well.
Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
2nd July 2014, 06:06 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 615

1,978 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArtiszan

I am not sure if it needs to be signed or maybe there is a problem with the way the compile is working even though I am not getting any errors.

It's great that you want to learn how to invert or theme apps. But without meaning to discourage you, you need to do some reading. Quite a bit of reading by the sounds of it. There are a lot of threads on this subject, complete with tips, examples and introductory guides.

I can't shake the impression that you haven't read many threads about theming. And you seem to want the answer handed to you, rather than put a little work into learning this. You aren't asking a simple, straight forward question. You are asking for someone to teach you all of the ins and outs when you could easily find a tutorial yourself. Put a little initiative and work into this and then you will have something to be legitimately proud of when you finish inverting an app.

Unless you have an unusually easy app, you are probably missing multiple steps. You normally need multiple frameworks, emsure that your decompiler is up to date and yes there will be signing too. .9 pngs need special tools, you may need to edit dozens of image files and xml code too.

I'd encourage you to stick with it. But don't expect to succeed before you make an effort to read at least a handful of threads and guides and figure some of it out yourself.

Last edited by fffft; 2nd July 2014 at 06:08 AM.
2nd July 2014, 09:55 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 4,441

6,900 posts
Donate to Me
More
You are having a signature missmatch error. You can try the xposed module to force matching of signatures. If that works, then i'll tell you what to do next.
2nd July 2014, 09:56 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

871 posts
Oh I totally understand what you are saying.
Sorry, I wrote that on very little sleep and rereading it, it is not very clear.
I have moded things like the play store and dialer and other things before.
I have used the apktool.jar that is up to date, installed the framework-res twframework and systemui apks as dependencies like what are needed.
It is just that if all I do is decompile it and recompile it with no changes it does not work.
This has always at least worked in the past if I have not made any changes before recompiling to insure that the process is working okay.
And it seems not to in this case.
I get no errors from the recompile or any warnings even.
This was not covered in any of the tutorials I had read before or found on a google search.
2nd July 2014, 11:25 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 615

1,978 posts
You didn't get a popup message with an explicit error message. But the information about the errors is still there in the system logs, event viewer, logcat, etc. Without those key details we can't really troubleshoot in a methodical fashion, but it is still possible to guess at the cause.

And a bad signature is a plausible guess. So start by checking that. A good way to approach it next time would be to try decompiling and putting a package back together again (before trying any serious edits) to see if your configuration is working or not.

Last edited by fffft; 3rd July 2014 at 07:48 AM.
3rd July 2014, 12:43 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 4,441

6,900 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArtiszan

Oh I totally understand what you are saying.
Sorry, I wrote that on very little sleep and rereading it, it is not very clear.
I have moded things like the play store and dialer and other things before.
I have used the apktool.jar that is up to date, installed the framework-res twframework and systemui apks as dependencies like what are needed.
It is just that if all I do is decompile it and recompile it with no changes it does not work.
This has always at least worked in the past if I have not made any changes before recompiling to insure that the process is working okay.
And it seems not to in this case.
I get no errors from the recompile or any warnings even.
This was not covered in any of the tutorials I had read before or found on a google search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fffft

Clear like mud. I understand that you didn't get a popup message with an explicit error message. But that information would still be in your system logs, event viewer, logcat, etc. And we could have looked at the signatures if you had linked the files too. Since we don't have any of that though, we can't really troubleshoot in a methodical fashion - we have nothing to go on. It would have helped if you posted your system error logs, event log, logcat, the app signatures, etc.

Without any details, the guess above is as good as any for a place to start. A bad signature is a plausible cause to your problems. The very first thing you should have done is decompile and recompile without any changes. Then the same with a single, simple edit to confirm that your configuration is valid.

So to start.. confirm that your signature is valid.

It is a signature mismatch. The dialer has a shared user ID with the system. If the signature that the system uses does not match to that of the dialer, then it denies all permissions and denies installation of the package. Trying the xposed module first will be the easiest option (plus i wanna see if it works :P ) then i'll help you figure out how to get it working without the xposed module.
3rd July 2014, 11:13 PM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member

871 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elesbb

It is a signature mismatch. The dialer has a shared user ID with the system. If the signature that the system uses does not match to that of the dialer, then it denies all permissions and denies installation of the package. Trying the xposed module first will be the easiest option (plus i wanna see if it works :P ) then i'll help you figure out how to get it working without the xposed module.

Ahh Okay thank you.
That was what I was thinking the problem was but wasn't sure.
Especially more so that I am on a all stock odexed rom.
I will give that a try later when I have a little time and let you know what happens.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread