Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,684 Members 48,371 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Apps from S4 to S5

Tip us?
 
cyaclone
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Posts: 290
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: CLEARWATER

 
DONATE TO ME
Default [Q] Apps from S4 to S5

Changing phones and what to transfer the apps that I like on the S4 to the S5.

Are there any compatibility issues that I should be aware of while doing this.

Since I am currently on KK 4.4.4 with the S4, my plan is to copy my none system apps to the S5?

Anyone having any problems in doing this?

These are both Samsung phones and the only real difference is going from Sprint to TMO. My current phone is rooted and has a custom ROM. I do plan to root the S5 immediately and install CWM Recovery.
 
elesbb
Old
#2  
elesbb's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 4,366
Posts: 6,797
Join Date: Jun 2010

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyaclone View Post
Changing phones and what to transfer the apps that I like on the S4 to the S5.

Are there any compatibility issues that I should be aware of while doing this.

Since I am currently on KK 4.4.4 with the S4, my plan is to copy my none system apps to the S5?

Anyone having any problems in doing this?

These are both Samsung phones and the only real difference is going from Sprint to TMO. My current phone is rooted and has a custom ROM. I do plan to root the S5 immediately and install CWM Recovery.
Using Titanium Backup has no issues. Came from S4 like you.
 
TheArtiszan
Old
#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 81
Posts: 820
Join Date: Jun 2009
I used helium backup on mine.
Worked great.
 
cyaclone
Old
#4  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Posts: 290
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: CLEARWATER

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by elesbb View Post
Using Titanium Backup has no issues. Came from S4 like you.
Just to confirm, I can just install my apps from my last TB backup after I root the S5?
 
fffft
Old
#5  
fffft's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 411
Posts: 1,548
Join Date: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyaclone View Post
I can just install my apps from my last TB backup after I root the S5?

Usually. It's not guaranteed or foolproof, but it will work with most apps. The best path is of course reinstalling apps. But many people find it easier to transplant them as you are planning to and it usually works.

.
 
elesbb
Old
#6  
elesbb's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 4,366
Posts: 6,797
Join Date: Jun 2010

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyaclone View Post
Just to confirm, I can just install my apps from my last TB backup after I root the S5?
Only app that gave me an issue was Viper4Android because it restored the data and thought that the drivers were installed when they weren't, so repeatedly forced closed. But yeah just let TiB do its thing. You may encounter some apps force closing but a clear data usually fixes it. User apps aren't that big a problem when switching devices.
 
cyaclone
Old
#7  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Posts: 290
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: CLEARWATER

 
DONATE TO ME
Thanks to all for the help, made the move with TB and all went well.
 
sabrito
Old
#8  
sabrito's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 3
Join Date: Nov 2010
I use Shareit
 
elesbb
Old
#9  
elesbb's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 4,366
Posts: 6,797
Join Date: Jun 2010

 
DONATE TO ME
This thread got me thinking, why doesn't android have a more native non root method for making and restoring backups with app data?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


And the Winners in the XDA Pebble Development Challenge Are…

Almost two months ago, we set out with Pebble to findthree amazing … more

MediaTek Releases Full Kernel Source for First Android One Devices

Those who might have thought that MediaTek wouldnever release working … more

Submitting a Patch to Gerrit – Featuring XplodWild – XDA Developer TV

Not every developer specializes in every area of … more

Learn How to Make a Live Wallpaper all by Yourself

Stillimages can bebeautiful, but some of you prefer to see animations on your screens. … more